JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
My friend had an older small dog and a young larger puppy in the same house. The older small dog got bowled over by the exuberant young pup many times so we got a small wire kennel and left the door open. If things got out of hand or he wanted a safe place he retired to his kennel. The door was always open and he could still see what everyone was doing and be a part of the family. I might suggest you close the cage door and not let him in until you are ready to send him to bed for the evening. You would be in control of all the space in the house. You would deny him his den so to speak. That was quite a picture of your thumb. Dang I think I could feel it. Good luck.

You have to cut his territory association with his kennel. He believes that is his and not yours. You need to train him to understand you are the dominant male.

You can try not letting him into his kennel without permission. Stand in front of the entrance and show him the kennel is yours, not his. If he tries to go in stop him by getting in the way. If he shows aggression, ignore him, look away from him but hold your stance in front of the entrance. Once you let him in, give him a treat and praise him. He will come to associate you rewarding him as a positive thing having you around the kennel.

My Jack Russell Bull terrier mix had territory issues with my wife. He would snip at me if he was close to her and I try to kiss her. He got my nose really good once. He was testing his dominance. I took a few weeks of interrupting his closeness to my wife to show him, essentially, that she is mine.

Dogs like attention and treats, those work way better than force In my opinion.

Growing up on a farm, dogs had one get out of jail free card. one time they could fk up and anything after that then i was the one digging the hole for my grandpa to take care of business.

i got bit without warning a year or two ago by my mother in laws stupidass dog. it took every bit of restraint and strength i had to not take it out back and shoot it in the head. its not my dog. what bothers me is that nothing was done to discipline the dog. he is literally a brainless dog. stupid as can be. and ive made it clear that the dog stays outside when my kids there or grandma and grandpa dont get the priveledge of seeing their grandson.

dont wait too long to take action and let your dog think its OK to bite for no reason. i hope you can find a solution. (most)dogs are great companions.

sorry i cant be more help

That's hard.
I've never had my own bite me. But I'm mean looking. And I am the alpha always. What if a child comes up and wants to Crowl in his kennel with him?
I'm just not a pit guy.
Get rid of the dog if it happens again.
In the meantime, you need to act like the dude with giant balls and takes no crap off nuttin.

I only skipped through all the responses, and glanced at "likes". Reading your story, and Pit/Rot mix, I don't understand why the gun, I mean dog, is still in your home? You going to end up with a dangerous animal living with you? As you try to figure out how to correct this behavior? No matter how much you think this animal is a part of the family, or your "Friend", you seem to be missing the fact that the dog is an animal, not a human, and designated as a "Dumb Animal" for a reason. Now, just maybe, if you had drug that animal out of it's den and held it down, with your hands on it's throat, until it was crying, maybe that would of had a chance of correcting the behavior. Or maybe not? Sounds like the animal could have sent you in for plastic surgery rather than a band aid and a shot.

Sorry if I sound cruel or rude, but stories of dogs that bite and are spoken of as if they were human and/or something more than they are leave me shaking my head in disbelief.

Keep us posted.
I would do some tests of vision and hearing while not in the kennel.

And do some test with gloves on.
When my dogs got in trouble we threw her in the back yard.
She has anxiety and hates being alone.
So being in the yard by herself is not fun for her.
Because of her anxiety we have to lock her in a kennel anytime we leave the house.
She's never been aggressive in there and sleeps in there at night half the time.

She's been great with our small kids. Got a little snippy when the kids pulled her tail or spooked her when she was sleeping.

But she never bit them. If she did it may be time for that long walk.

I wouldn't give up on the dog yet, but if it because a habit, and a risk to the kids. Time to either keep her away from the kids, ie garage her. Or time to say goodbye.

I can't imagine having to make that decision.

Sounds to me like your a good dog owner Kruejl. I personally think that @Ura-Ki and others might be on to something with the eye sight thing.

In high school my buddy had a german/lab mix. That dog would go everywhere with us and was the sweetest thing.

Anyway long story short one night the dog bit my buddy. It was because he was going blind in one eye and was protecting himself when approached from his blind side. Once they figured it out they never had a problem. down fall was because of this when young kids came around they had to put him in the garage because they don't get it when you tell them not to approach him from his blind side.

Hope this helps.

Hence the vet appointment today. They couldn't find anything wrong with him.
I know. My sweet doberman had painful arthritis and (speaking only for me here) I was too busy to notice how bad she was. She was so gentle and didn't complain until it was too late for ignorant me to help her.

Kruejl, you obviously love, and have loved, this dog. There has still been no reply to its age that I've seen. In fact, I don't remember reading if it were male or female.

Although you have shown nothing but love for it, it also sounds like you've trained it to get treats. Pinning it on it's back until it "submits", or putting it into a "submission" hold? When is the last time, or have you ever, grabbed it, drug it to the ground, grabbed it by its scruff or throat and in an overly aggressive voice (enough to make your kids pee their pants) scold the living cr_p out of it, until it literally goes limp on the ground?

It sounds as if you trained it that when it appears to "submit" it will get treats. When it goes into its kennel it gets treats. What else does it do to constantly get treats? Treats are a tool to teach when they are puppies and growing up. As they get older the treats come further and further apart and are to be used to reaffirm it's actions (and keep it guessing how long it has to listen before getting another treat).

Before the first growl and nip that you talked about, and this last attack, has it ever growled at you (or anyone else) before this? That you noticed, or may not have noticed? It almost seems like it is exerting dominance "one step at a time". Meaning, the first growls that you may not have noticed, then the "nip", and now this last attack.

Rotties don't have very long lives in general. I don't think pits do either. Unless it has had an MRI (or CAT scan) recently, do you know there is nothing going wrong with its brain? In all seriousness, there may be a tumor, cancer, or who knows what going on.

If it has recently started acting this way, there may be something a lot more/deeper going on. Realistically I see a few options....

1. Spend money it for blood work, x-rays, scans, etc. to find out if there is an underlying problem.

2. Take into consideration its actions - and your actions over its life for that matter. Did you REALLY establish dominance, or did you just train it? Now, it may seem that it is "in its prime" and wants to take its dominance?

3. Consider its age. Are you keeping it around and denying (ignoring) the signs in denial, not wanting to believe that anything could be wrong with it?

Those are just a few. I am sure others will post too.

It sounds as if you may have to take a look at it from an outside point of view. Try to remove yourself and look at the situation emotionless. Look at it if it were your neighbors dog, or a relative of yours dog, that you've known since puppy. What would your reaction be if it were someone else's dog acting up?

As you know something has changed in the dog. With you, your wife and family involved, this isn't something to be taken likely.

Good luck with your decision. I know what I would do..... (from what you've mentioned, you'll probably do the same thing I would do. Take it in and have blood work, x-rays, scans, etc. done on it. Probably spend a grand or more on it. Get a better idea what is going on then make a decision. In the meantime watching it like a hawk at the slightest sign of further aggression.)

It is never easy. Good luck to you!

Sometimes when animals attack people they have been friendly with it turns out the animal had a health problem. The tiger that attacked his show biz trainer had a toothache I think it was. I've read about both people and animals who went violent and turned out to have brain tumors.

So here's the deal. My oldest daughter got a dog about 2 years ago. Of course her being 20 at the time I ended up raising him more than her. We spent hours upon hours here on the couch, me typing away and him sleeping in my lap. He was my best buddy, and in a house of 5 girls the only other male here. We've gone on extended car rides, walks, played catch...etc....

He lives here at my house full time now.

I've NEVER been rough or abusive with him, nor hit him or otherwise. I have scars on my arms from sharp nails and wrestling around. Never has bothered me when I get a wound or two from playful fun.

So a few months ago I was petting him while he was in his kennel. At night before bed. It's HUGE and you could fit many of him in it. He growled and nipped at me. Left a mark and a bruise on my finger. I let it go.

Two nights ago I again petted him goodnight and he didn't growl, but instead bit me so hard I had to go the the doctor for a tetanus shot and get it cleaned out. Now I don't want to pet him. I don't trust him at all. My wife and my girls love him as do I, but all the trust is gone and frankly I'm worried that I'll get bit again. We have a wifi camera that records the whole area and my wife watched the video. She was shocked, she said "you were being so sweet and gentle".

Just to add, he really likes his kennel, and goes there often throughout the day with the door open and lays comfortably. Sometimes he won't even come out when he's called.

He's a Rot/Pit mix. We took him to the vet today and they couldn't get him to show any signs of aggression. Maybe he has aggression regarding his "house" as that's the place he bit me? Twice.

Suggestions? Ideas? And don't just tell me to put him down, because that's the last thing I want to do........
Read "Be the Pack Leader" by Cesar Millan - it's excellent and provides tip/techniques for training

Sometimes when animals attack people they have been friendly with it turns out the animal had a health problem. The tiger that attacked his show biz trainer had a toothache I think it was. I've read about both people and animals who went violent and turned out to have brain tumors.

Friend of mine had a dog that slept in the garage at night. One day the dog started growling and snapping at him. He came very close to asking one of us to put the dog down. Luckily he realized as the dog got older it could not take the cold winter nights. He made a bed for him in the laundry room and things were fine after that.

Cat, dog, horse or human (even brother, sister or child), bite me twice or pose a threat to me and the rest of mine, , somethings going to give, and it's not me. I won't go broke solving the problem either. Maybe that's the old timer and country boy talking in me, but it is what it is.

The dog apparently is being very possessive of his kennel/crate. Due to the dog's breed, and with him being a male, he may be a little more aggressive than a female.

Try putting a pair of your worn underwear and socks in the kennel before he goes in. This may sound gross, but it will put your scent there--and will show that you''re the boss. Try not to pet him while the items are in the kennel with him; let him get used to your scent. If possible, trade the items off every so often.

Finally--if not already done--think about getting the dog neutered.
Sounds like he's being protective of his kennel. Need to train that out of him.

Dog Dominance ... Old Story ... All True ... 25+ Years Ago ... Narrative ...

I adopted a stray lost Yellow Lab German Shepard Mix. Looked yellow lab with a narrow muzzle. Did not want a dog at that stage of my homestead life but what the foook are you going to do? She had some issues at first. The major one was who was boss .... me or her?

We, (her and I) were out hunting for the pot with my very nice .177 scoped spring gun. I shot a nice rooster Chucker. She thought it was hers. I knew it was mine. Our dinner. This is all true. She did not want to give up the dead bird. I insisted she did. I won. She lost.

The violence included me getting snapped at and her being slammed dunked hard against the ground via a hip throw. Then I BIT her hard on the ear(s) several times while holding her down and clamping her jaws shut. Quite a struggle. I did not want to did what I did.

But .... I also knew it had to be done right there right then and not softly. I growled while biting. Bit through in a couple of places. I tasted her blood. She did not taste mine. That was the first and last time she exhibited dominance traits against me. The rest took time.

She was extremely gun shy when I adopted her. That slowly changed over a couple of years. The last 10-12 years we were together were great. She loved hunting. Loved the beaver pond. So did I. Summertime bathing. She loved the steel head I poached.

Barking up the wrong tree had real significance. I got two squirrels. She got one. Goldie did love kids and other dogs. Strange. Her best doggie buddy was a huge male pit bull. She hated cats and skunks. Overall one of the best friends I ever had in my whole life.

She lived 15 years or so. I gave her the ending needle shot into her foot vein myself at the Vet. She died in my arms. Very hard thing to do putting down your best friend. Every man has the right and duty to kill his own dog. I did. Bad dog behavior can be corrected.

Changing her bad character into good character took much time, consistency and love. Never had to hit her. Never had to use a loud voice. She knew. Bad people behavior I am not so sure about. It was easier letting and watching people die than watching her die.

Respectfully. Now I only remember the fun times. All true. Remote Illinois Valley SW OR.

Last Edited:
At two he's in his teenage years. May just need some retraining.
It's sounds like more of a warning bite than an attack.

He's being possessive. And in his comfort/secure place.
Trying gicing him a treat when he's in the kennel.
Same way you were petting when he bite.
Instead of reaching a treat in, present the treat and make him come out to get it.
Don't stand over him, or be blocking his exit.
Kneel down to the side. Go slow, speak softly. Let him come to you.

Yeah, he's neutered.

And he follows all of my commands really well too. It's just dominance in his kennel. I'll try a few of the ideas mentioned here. Thanks guys.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews