JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Hopefully it works out. Wish I could help more, but I'm one to want to observe a dog in person before I say anything. Only thing I can say is he's overprotective of his turf, and may think he's more dominant.

Don't let him get away with something bad though. If he does something wrong you need to let him know. He's probably thinking he's the dominant one in the kennel.
It isn't his turf!

When you let it be their turf they have dominance over you.

Any dogs owner should be able to reach in and take their food without getting even a growl.

Sorry, but a dog that bites w/o warning is not to be trusted. No obvious remorse,.. .And it happens to be a mix of those two breeds?

I'd shoot it.

Again, sorry, but that's the end of the discussion for me.

Sorry, but a dog that bites w/o warning is not to be trusted. No obvious remorse,.. .And it happens to be a mix of those two breeds?

I'd shoot it.

Again, sorry, but that's the end of the discussion for me.

No apologies, brother. No wonder I haven't slept in two days.

I'd shoot it.

Sorry, but that's the end of the discussion for me.

A Pit/Rot mix that is showing aggression? Sorry, good advice there.

Well, I might have it put down by a vet, but that dog needs to go.

Not adopted, not re-homed - that's simply not a sound dog.

Been 13 years since my last tetanus shot. I was due.

Guys, I hear what everyone is saying. I just can't give up on him........

It isn't his turf!

When you let it be their turf they have dominance over you.

Any dogs owner should be able to reach in and take their food without getting even a growl.
I think you're reading into it too much. If you read the rest of my posts you'd know I didn't mean it literally.

Then risk another bite and assert your dominance and control.

And hope he doesn't re-direct that tendency towards someone not as capable as you.

PS. Oh, and make sure your homeowners insurance premiums are paid in full and on time.

Dogs get cranky the older they get.
They also get territorial. The kennel is his safe place and imagine being in your comfort place and someone reaching in on you when your trapped.

Either way no excuse.

Do you talk to him before? Is the light on?
Or your you startling him and he can't see you clearly? Maybe his vision going?

Sorry man, that's a tough one.

He had a neural seizure as a pup and spent two days in puppy ICU when he was just 4 months old. I cried like a b**** and slept for three nights on the couch holding him because I was afraid he would pass alone in the dark. I transferred him to the best doggy doctor in the state on day two because I was so worried. Make no mistake here, putting him down is soooo far beyond my realm. But, I appreciate the feedback.

No need to give up quite yet. Go to the library and check out 'The art of raising a puppy'; it looks like they have a copy at shute park. It's written by monks who raise German Shepherds, and has some very good information on establishing dominance without having to resort to beatings. To be honest though, I'd be terrified of letting that dog near kids at this point until his behavior has been corrected.

Edit: maybe get some good thick leather gloves and try to get him to snap, and then stuff him in a full snout muzzle, the uncomfortable kind. Pretty sure that's what cured my Aussie of his nipping habit, he hated that thing...

Last Edited:
This is all BS.

That dog is capable of inflicting massive damage to anyone who gets in its way, and it has already demonstrated a willingness to attack humans. That dog is unsound. I can take a piece of steak out of my un-neutered German Shepherd male's mouth with no risk of being bit. That's a sound dog.

I had a friend who was attacked by a family pet pitbull (4 years plus with the family, no incidents). Five years and 35 surgeries later she looked okay, but she said when she looked in the mirror, the woman she saw was a stranger.

If (OP) you're the only person at risk, have at it. If family, friends or guests are at risk, do the right thing.

All this macho "show your dominance" stuff is fine, until a child or grandchild is attacked.

Brother, this is a hard one! I didn't see in your OP the age of the dog, but I'm of the opinion he might be feeling some age, or he might be in pain, maybe look into his sight or hearing? This sounds a little off to me, aggression is aggression if he had it as a pup then i would point to that, but if he hasn't ever had aggression before I would look a little closer at his physical health! Rotts tend to go numb in the brain after a certain age, and Pitts tend to have muscle tension that gets worse as they get older, so i think he might be starting to show signs of something wrong. It could also be as others have said and his safe space is getting evaded by you. Try a much smaller space and don't try to get into his space. Dogs are natural cave dwellers, and they also see enclosed spaces the same as being cornerd, therefore Instinct might take over, and you got bit! I would not give up on your buddy, not even close, just need to find out what's going on! My Golden is 16 years young, but is starting to have aches and pains, and be nipped me for the first time ever not that long ago, surprised the heck out of me, but I also know he isn't feeling like a pup any more!
Give him some time and try and see what's up! Sorry brother, i know it sucks, but at the same time, don't give up just yet!

Man,,,you need to show your dominance
Just go into his cage and stare at him for 2 or 3 minutes until he cannot make solid eye contact with you anymore then when he turns his head to look away dive on top of him and bite his ear till it draws blood. Then walk on all fours up to the fence in his cage and hike up a leg and pee on the fence while staring him down
He will respect you after that

I was literally going to say pretty much that exact thing. This is a dominance issue clearly in my opinion. He thinks that his kennel is his "turf" and he's in charge in his turf.

Number 1 if a dog bites me seemingly unprovoked I'll give that dog a good bop on the nose immediately and tell them "no bite". I want them to know immediately that they screwed up and I want them to associate something unpleasant happening with screwing up. You are either the alpha or you aren't. If he thinks aggression against you and not listening to you is acceptable, than clearly he thinks he is the alpha.

Basically you brought this on yourself to some degree accidentally. The dog bit you once and you ignored it, that is teaching the dog that that behavior is acceptable because it was allowed to take place.

In my experience with dogs you affirm and reward behavior you want to continue and you crush immediately behavior you want to cease. If you delay punishment the dog doesn't associate the punishment with a behavior at a different time, only their current behavior and what just happened, that is why so many dogs get mixed signal from people. You can't reason with a dog and explain to them that you don't like it when they bite you so please stop and if they don't stop you will have consequences. All you can do is train them that if they do this, than you do that. You want it to be predictable. So if they do something you like, they get loves and treats and they know that, if they do something you don't like they get the business immediately and they know that.

That method seems to work pretty well with the animals I have worked with.

I have only been bitten once in aggression by one of my animals and that was because I was chasing a family member around the house in a playful manner and the dog understood it to be aggressive on my part and potentially harmful to the family member that I was chasing them so in a defending act, decided my calf being bit was a good idea. The dog immediately realized that it made a mistake just by the reaction that my family member made. I didn't punish the dog because of the circumstances. I didn't want the dog to associate defending my family member to be a bad thing, and we've never had problems since because we generally have someone hold the dog if any rough housing is going to take place.

Good luck with your training.

That does help. I've never struck him, but I have pinned him to the floor after a rough wrestling match and he submits totally. I've had him completely give up many times and lay on his back with his legs up. But again, then it's treats and belly rubs. That's what throws me off, he KNOWS I'm in charge but his kennel is where he finds dominance. I'm ok with his house being his, but biting me twice? I've never had that happen. I've NEVER hurt him or otherwise. OK, I accidently stepped on his paw about a year ago and he yelped and got treats and extra hugs for it. But otherwise, I've never hurt him. He comes when I call generally, he's playful and spirited and likes people in general. We had one of my daughter's friends over who recently had a baby and he was SO careful to be gentle around her......

I don't know the purpose the kennel serves being in your house, but it seems clearly it is part of the source of the problem since he is only aggressive in the kennel.

I don't know how you use the kennel, but in my family we never really used a kennel, or if we did it was only when we first got the animal and it was eventually phased out. I might try closing the kennel door during the day and only letting him go into the kennel at night to sleep and closing him in there. Basically you being in charge of when he goes in and comes out, or even removing the kennel entirely from being an option to go into.

I also tie obedience training in with meal time. Dogs need to be reminded that they eat because you as the alpha let them. Make the task attainable for their level of training and skill.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews