JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I guess I thought the second sentence in my OP gave it away, but now I think about it I never said "puppy".

Well, getting it 2 years ago doesn't necessarily say anything. A friend got a dog 3 years ago but its 6 now. o_O

But yeah don't give up, just keep training. Now if he was getting to that age, it may have been a different story.

I learned as a kid that my dogs need a place they can feel safe and know they won't be bothered. Even when my dog is sick, I don't try to give him medicine until he leaves his bed (tucked under a living room side table so it has a "roof"), even though he's a gentle soul. The only time he has even growled at anyone was when one of the grandkids kept trying to pet him while he was in his bed. When he's not in his bed, he tolerates a lot more irritations than I would, without complaint. When he's had all he can handle, he gets into his bed. So, when Tarawa86 says "that kennel isn't his," I have to disagree. The dog has to have a place of his own.

I learned as a kid that my dogs need a place they can feel safe and know they won't be bothered. Even when my dog is sick, I don't try to give him medicine until he leaves his bed (tucked under a living room side table so it has a "roof"), even though he's a gentle soul. The only time he has even growled at anyone was when one of the grandkids kept trying to pet him while he was in his bed. When he's not in his bed, he tolerates a lot more irritations than I would, without complaint. When he's had all he can handle, he gets into his bed. So, when Tarawa86 says "that kennel isn't his," I have to disagree. The dog has to have a place of his own.
I agree that there should be a spot where he should feel comfortable, but not to the point he's willing to bite the family (in this case the people living with him, visitors should know well enough not to disturb a dog on his bed).

That's not to say that it should be to the point where he should feel obligated to give it up for his family, just to the point he's comfortable with his family being there.

You are a good guy... that's the only thing I could say. Based on what you described, I'm not even sure if experts can give you any real tips that work for your dog. I'm feeling so sorry for your ordeal and difficulties that your dog is experiencing now.

Last Edited:
So here's the deal. My oldest daughter got a dog about 2 years ago. Of course her being 20 at the time I ended up raising him more than her. We spent hours upon hours here on the couch, me typing away and him sleeping in my lap. He was my best buddy, and in a house of 5 girls the only other male here. We've gone on extended car rides, walks, played catch...etc....

He lives here at my house full time now.

I've NEVER been rough or abusive with him, nor hit him or otherwise. I have scars on my arms from sharp nails and wrestling around. Never has bothered me when I get a wound or two from playful fun.

So a few months ago I was petting him while he was in his kennel. At night before bed. It's HUGE and you could fit many of him in it. He growled and nipped at me. Left a mark and a bruise on my finger. I let it go.

Two nights ago I again petted him goodnight and he didn't growl, but instead bit me so hard I had to go the the doctor for a tetanus shot and get it cleaned out. Now I don't want to pet him. I don't trust him at all. My wife and my girls love him as do I, but all the trust is gone and frankly I'm worried that I'll get bit again. We have a wifi camera that records the whole area and my wife watched the video. She was shocked, she said "you were being so sweet and gentle".

Just to add, he really likes his kennel, and goes there often throughout the day with the door open and lays comfortably. Sometimes he won't even come out when he's called.

He's a Rot/Pit mix. We took him to the vet today and they couldn't get him to show any signs of aggression. Maybe he has aggression regarding his "house" as that's the place he bit me? Twice.

Suggestions? Ideas? And don't just tell me to put him down, because that's the last thing I want to do........

I've kennel trained all of my dogs that I've had as an adult.

I also go out of my way to make sure all of my dogs understand that I'm the alpha and if I want their chew toy/bone/food bowl then they are going to let me.

Having said that, I have always treated their kennel as their space and pet them outside of it before they go in for the night or whenever we leave.

Personally if that is the only time he bites or nips then I'd just avoid touching him in his house.

Nip or bite outside that and I'm more of an old school trainer and not one of the new school understand their feelings guys - interpret that as you will.

I'm down to 1 old male dog and I with my wife and daughter so I know it's nice to have another 'guy' in the house;).

Best of luck with the situation - I've not read any other post then the OP as I've had dogs all my life and my way works for me.

My sister has animal issues. She is the perfect example of a pet owner that treats the pets like friends and children. And every damn one of those dogs she has had issues. She's had several that would be buttholes at night and would growl and try and bite.
My aunt has the same issues. She and the uncle are azzclowns with there dogs. And there dogs bite. They strike without notice on certain people at there ankles.
Being alpha isn't a one time pin to the ground. It's a full time deal. I am patient with my horses, but they damn well know I'm the head brother in charge. It's all in how you carry yourself. But horses and dogs are totally different animals. Horses kill. Dogs draw some blood. Usually.
Then there's mules. They remember the sheeet done to them. And payback will be happening.

So here's the deal. My oldest daughter got a dog about 2 years ago. Of course her being 20 at the time I ended up raising him more than her. We spent hours upon hours here on the couch, me typing away and him sleeping in my lap. He was my best buddy, and in a house of 5 girls the only other male here. We've gone on extended car rides, walks, played catch...etc....

He lives here at my house full time now.

I've NEVER been rough or abusive with him, nor hit him or otherwise. I have scars on my arms from sharp nails and wrestling around. Never has bothered me when I get a wound or two from playful fun.

So a few months ago I was petting him while he was in his kennel. At night before bed. It's HUGE and you could fit many of him in it. He growled and nipped at me. Left a mark and a bruise on my finger. I let it go.

Two nights ago I again petted him goodnight and he didn't growl, but instead bit me so hard I had to go the the doctor for a tetanus shot and get it cleaned out. Now I don't want to pet him. I don't trust him at all. My wife and my girls love him as do I, but all the trust is gone and frankly I'm worried that I'll get bit again. We have a wifi camera that records the whole area and my wife watched the video. She was shocked, she said "you were being so sweet and gentle".

Just to add, he really likes his kennel, and goes there often throughout the day with the door open and lays comfortably. Sometimes he won't even come out when he's called.

He's a Rot/Pit mix. We took him to the vet today and they couldn't get him to show any signs of aggression. Maybe he has aggression regarding his "house" as that's the place he bit me? Twice.

Suggestions? Ideas? And don't just tell me to put him down, because that's the last thing I want to do........

You have to establish alpha over males. It involves a bit of violence for certain hard working breeds. An exterienced friend who raises German breeds uses heater hose for the first few years when a male will call your bluff and try to establish dominance. Occasionally you will run into an individual dog that will try to kill you: it's rare. Don't take my advice wrong, I don't abuse animals period. I have worked with wolves in the past, and wild hybrids and wolves are the most gentle creatures on Earth when you are not in their food chain and they know they can trust you. Hybrids and wild varieties of African dogs, fox, etc. are a nightmare and if you are trapped in a pen with them they will kill you. Some will take your fingers off if you get sloppy. Any animal wild or hybrid or domestic raised well will be safe if you understand the nature of the beast.

Domestic dogs need to be put in their place if you plan on having them in a family environment. Wolves should never be treated like a pet, and given complete freedom. All can be dangerous if abused.

Getting to brass tacks: is someone abusing the animal? Like a friend or relative or guest? Was the animal abused? Stay away from the kennel until you can make him feel comfortable in and around the kennel. I don't recommend feeding treats in the kennel food can make it worse. Use positive reinforcement and play to socialize. Get fuel hose about 15-20inches long and when the animal shows signs of aggression by showing teeth or attempting to bite, give him a good slap across the muzzle: avoid the eyes. You can also slap them in the hind quarters. Start light, but know that a special animal may require a bit of violence. It's a hell of a lot better teaching them than having to put them down or worse yet having them kill a child or maim someone in your family. You're lucky because a dog that bites that hasn't been abused has great potential, you got yourself a gem for a protection animal.

Be consistent, use verbal commands: No!!. Down!!, Don't bite!!: use English most dogs are smarter than you think and you can train them to understand many words, verbally establish dominance let the dog know whos in charge. These animals are not toy pet breeds. And I will say Pits can be the most dangerous of animals so I hope you are a man of conviction, and if it latches onto your femoral artery of forearm, had a plan B like a club or 9mm and a trauma kit. Don't allow the animal around family until you establish dominance, re-train, and ensure no one is abusing it. Some pits need to be put down I have been told, hopefully that's not the case. Someone blended two of the greatest working dog breeds and God knows what genetic mechanisms are at play? Rot's are my favorite for their size, strength, intelligence, and playful nature: and I envy the intelligence and lethality of Pit's. You owe it to the dog to work hard to not have to put him down and give him a good life where he feels safe and a part of the family, he should never bite anyone unless they are attacking him. Oh and don't go overboard or you can cause him to develop a stigma and but it's better than having to put him down in the end. Good luck!

Update:

So it's definitely dominance with his kennel. He has been holding his tail between his legs and almost belly crawling every time he sees me since the bite. I called him to come and he wagged his tail and started shaking and layed on his back. He knows he done messed up. I just finally got him to belly crawl to me. I held out my bandaged thumb and just said "Why?'. He submitted again and then kept trying to lick it while I was petting him.

Dogs aren't as dumb as some people think. I'd prefer not to kick the bubblegum out of him and I'm going to try and stand in front of it and not let him in the kennel until I say it's ok. With a treat for being good. Look guys, I'm more scared about a 3rd bite than he is. Not for the scars or the pain. That I can handle. It's for the fact that I'll have to lose him.

@Core nobody is abusing him. We don't have many friends over. My kids are girls and treat him well. My wife talks to him more than she talks to me. Never been beaten, abused or otherwise. Not Ever. I've never even hit or hurt him, which I get that many here think I should do to establish dominance. I'm just not the kind of guy to beat up a 40 pound dog. I'd rather trade a few with a person more my size. I could pick him up and throw him through a wall, but it's just not me. Not to a dog anyway.

I disagree with the alpha dog reaction and would concentrate on a seizure disorder. Especially after the seizure episode when he was young. We had a dog with epilepsy and she would actually lose control of her bladder, no shaking or other visible signs. All she wanted was to be held in our lap until it passed. At 60 pounds, she was a lap full. The kennel may be his safe place when having seizure episodes. He may not know what he is doing. There are drugs that you can try. Don't give up and find a good neurologist or a Vet with experience. Good luck with your member of the family.

which I get that many here think I should do to establish dominance. I'm just not the kind of guy to beat up a 40 pound dog.
What are we, gorillas? Violence is not dominance. Don't have to beat a dog to set dominance, shouldn't need to. Pinning is the last resort, meaning nothing worse than that. And even that isn't being as rough as possible (just enough, no more).

What are we, gorillas? Violence is not dominance. Don't have to beat a dog to set dominance, shouldn't need to. Pinning is the last resort, meaning nothing worse than that. And even that isn't being as rough as possible (just enough, no more).

Exactly. I'm just saying there have been some posts suggesting it here.

Just putting it out there: some people let their dogs use a kennel as their personal space, meaning they don't interact with the dog at all once it's is inside its kennel, especially if the dog has chosen to go there of its own accord. It doesn't sound like your dog has dominance issues, it sounds like he wants to be left alone when he's in his kennel. Plenty of dog owners find this to be a normal and acceptable situation.

Just putting it out there: some people let their dogs use a kennel as their personal space, meaning they don't interact with the dog at all once it's is inside its kennel, especially if the dog has chosen to go there of its own accord. It doesn't sound like your dog has dominance issues, it sounds like he wants to be left alone when he's in his kennel. Plenty of dog owners find this to be a normal and acceptable situation.

Funny you say that. He does choose to go to his kennel. And it's only happened when he's in there. Yesterday the vet tried REALLY hard to make him get aggressive, and he just didn't. No food aggression at all, he offered a treat then held it tightly in his hand and at the same time pulled on his ears and flicked his belly. Tail wagged the whole time. Nothing.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top