JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Hopefully it works out. Wish I could help more, but I'm one to want to observe a dog in person before I say anything. Only thing I can say is he's overprotective of his turf, and may think he's more dominant.

Don't let him get away with something bad though. If he does something wrong you need to let him know. He's probably thinking he's the dominant one in the kennel.

This is one of those next to impossible questions. I am a dog person. My dog goes with me everywhere. I spend more time with her than I do my wife by at least quadruple. I can tell you just about anything about what she is going through and how she might react.

A few sentences trying to determine whats going on between a dog I never met and a person I only know superficially? Not much help.

I hope whatever it is you can get it sorted.

Hopefully it works out. Wish I could help more, but I'm one to want to observe a dog in person before I say anything. Only thing I can say is he's overprotective of his turf, and may think he's more dominant.

Don't let him get away with something bad though. If he does something wrong you need to let him know. He's probably thinking he's the dominant one in the kennel.

Yeah. Two nights ago I was so surprised and bleeding that I didn't put foot to bubblegum as I probably should have. Plus I REALLY have a hard time with the idea of hurting him somehow. I know it's ironic. I'd rather hurt a human than a dog.

This is one of those next to impossible questions. I am a dog person. My dog goes with me everywhere. I spend more time with her than I do my wife by at least quadruple. I can tell you just about anything about what she is going through and how she might react.

A few sentences trying to determine whats going on between a dog I never met and a person I only know superficially? Not much help.

I hope whatever it is you can get it sorted.

Yeah, I know man. I'm just grasping at straws because I really don't want him gone.......

Yeah. Two nights ago I was so surprised and bleeding that I didn't put foot to bubblegum as I probably should have. Plus I REALLY have a hard time with the idea of hurting him somehow. I know it's ironic. I'd rather hurt a human than a dog.
I know its hard... But ya know what the say... You aren't punishing to be mean, you're punishing because you love them.

Just don't go too far, and keep in mind pinning is a last resort (though may become necessary in this case [but I sincerely hope not]).

If he's not ill, injured, or you didn't startle him.... you gotta re-assert your dominance as the Alpha male of "the pack". You firmly grab his a$$ and pin him down to the floor by his throat and belly and use low but firm voice tones (simulating a growl in their minds) until he totally submits laying on his back exposing his throat and belly without the slightest amount of "struggle" (because that's "rebellion"). The throat and belly are a dog's most vulnerable spots and when they willingly expose that to you, they're saying "you're the alpha, please don't kill me" and are expressing their submission.

I don't advocate striking him, because in their doggy minds your hands should be for receiving affection and a belly rub, and you don't want him to flinch away from you when your hands suddenly move.

I have two "type-a" Labs (one male, one female) and years ago I have only ever gave them a light swat on their rear-ends (more like a flick) with a flat leash-end (NOT the hook end!!) to get their attention (and not to punish). Nowadays they follow voice commands and whistles, and if I stand "over" them and just stare at them they'll roll over and show me their bellies... which get rubbed!

A Rot/Pit mixed breed.... may be a different matter. If it were me... one more bite, and me and Fido would be taking a car trip out to the forrest with an AR and a shovel. You DON'T aggressively bite the pack's Alpha-Male, PERIOD!

Hope that helps!

So here's the deal. My oldest daughter got a dog about 2 years ago. Of course her being 20 at the time I ended up raising him more than her. We spent hours upon hours here on the couch, me typing away and him sleeping in my lap. He was my best buddy, and in a house of 5 girls the only other male here. We've gone on extended car rides, walks, played catch...etc....

He lives here at my house full time now.

I've NEVER been rough or abusive with him, nor hit him or otherwise. I have scars on my arms from sharp nails and wrestling around. Never has bothered me when I get a wound or two from playful fun.

So a few months ago I was petting him while he was in his kennel. At night before bed. It's HUGE and you could fit many of him in it. He growled and nipped at me. Left a mark and a bruise on my finger. I let it go.

Two nights ago I again petted him goodnight and he didn't growl, but instead bit me so hard I had to go the the doctor for a tetanus shot and get it cleaned out. Now I don't want to pet him. I don't trust him at all. My wife and my girls love him as do I, but all the trust is gone and frankly I'm worried that I'll get bit again. We have a wifi camera that records the whole area and my wife watched the video. She was shocked, she said "you were being so sweet and gentle".

Just to add, he really likes his kennel, and goes there often throughout the day with the door open and lays comfortably. Sometimes he won't even come out when he's called.

He's a Rot/Pit mix. We took him to the vet today and they couldn't get him to show any signs of aggression. Maybe he has aggression regarding his "house" as that's the place he bit me? Twice.

Suggestions? Ideas? And don't just tell me to put him down, because that's the last thing I want to do........
o_O

Dude.... sorry to hear, but I'm happy your asking for positive advice. I had a similar situation on a dog I had several years ago. When he got old he got really aggressive espically at night and bit me. Further investigation found he was having seizures that started messing with him mentally. Might worth a look depending on your dogs age. Also, hate to bring it up, but is there a chance some other male is messing with him? Maybe one of your kids friends? Just a thought..... best of luck!!

If he's not ill, injured, or you didn't startle him.... you gotta re-assert your dominance as the Alpha male of "the pack". You firmly grab his a$$ and pin him down to the floor by his throat and belly and use low but firm voice tones (simulating a growl in their minds) until he totally submits laying on his back exposing his throat and belly without the slightest amount of "struggle" (because that's "rebellion"). The throat and belly are a dog's most vulnerable spots and when they willingly expose that to you, they're saying "you're the alpha, please don't kill me" and are expressing their submission.

I don't advocate striking him, because in their doggy minds your hands should be for receiving affection and a belly rub, and you don't want him to flinch away from you when your hands suddenly move.

I have two "type-a" Labs (one male, one female) and years ago I have only ever gave them a light swat on their rear-ends (more like a flick) with a flat leash-end (NOT the hook end!!) to get their attention (and not to punish). Nowadays they follow voice commands and whistles, and if I stand "over" them and just stare at them they'll roll over and show me their bellies... which get rubbed!

A Rot/Pit mixed breed.... may be a different matter. If it were me... one more bite, and me and Fido would be taking a car trip out to the forrest with an AR and a shovel. You DON'T aggressively bite the pack's Alpha-Male, PERIOD!

Hope that helps!

That does help. I've never struck him, but I have pinned him to the floor after a rough wrestling match and he submits totally. I've had him completely give up many times and lay on his back with his legs up. But again, then it's treats and belly rubs. That's what throws me off, he KNOWS I'm in charge but his kennel is where he finds dominance. I'm ok with his house being his, but biting me twice? I've never had that happen. I've NEVER hurt him or otherwise. OK, I accidently stepped on his paw about a year ago and he yelped and got treats and extra hugs for it. But otherwise, I've never hurt him. He comes when I call generally, he's playful and spirited and likes people in general. We had one of my daughter's friends over who recently had a baby and he was SO careful to be gentle around her......

I love dogs, but that breed of peace dog would have to go! I've met some fine examples of both of those dogs, but I wouldn't bring one home. Good luck! I know I wasn't very helpful, but if I were in your shoes thats what I'd do. Can't have that situation.

I love dogs, but that breed of peace dog would have to go! I've met some fine examples of both of those dogs, but I wouldn't bring one home. Good luck! I know I wasn't very helpful, but if I were in your shoes thats what I'd do. Can't have that situation.

It's fine brother, been eating away at me for 48 hours now.....

Man,,,you need to show your dominance
Just go into his cage and stare at him for 2 or 3 minutes until he cannot make solid eye contact with you anymore then when he turns his head to look away dive on top of him and bite his ear till it draws blood. Then walk on all fours up to the fence in his cage and hike up a leg and pee on the fence while staring him down
He will respect you after that
Should you decide to do the above, be sure and video it wouldja?
And then post the video here?

'Cuz man, I'm pretty sure that would be about the most entertaining thing EVER posted on NWFA,...

Seriously, your alpha status has apparently slipped a notch, and he either resents being put in his kennel, or he's convinced he owns it and you're trespassing.

It might sound counter intuitive, but if he resents being kenneled-up, a treat after he goes in might cause a shift in his reaction.

Should you decide to do the above, be sure and video it wouldja?
And then post the video here?

'Cuz man, I'm pretty sure that would be about the most entertaining thing EVER posted on NWFA,...

Seriously, your alpha status has apparently slipped a notch, and he either resents being put in his kennel, or he's convinced he owns it and you're trespassing.

It might sound counter intuitive, but if he resents being kenneled-up, a treat after he goes in might cause a shift in his reaction.

He gets a treat almost EVERY time after he goes there, whether asked or not.....

So he nipped you AFTER you gave him a treat?

No. to both. It wasn't a "nip". and I didn't give him a treat either. It was a "goodnight" pet on the head then the neck.

Picture of the damage:

IMG_2905.jpg

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany