JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So here's the deal. My oldest daughter got a dog about 2 years ago. Of course her being 20 at the time I ended up raising him more than her. We spent hours upon hours here on the couch, me typing away and him sleeping in my lap. He was my best buddy, and in a house of 5 girls the only other male here. We've gone on extended car rides, walks, played catch...etc....

He lives here at my house full time now.

I've NEVER been rough or abusive with him, nor hit him or otherwise. I have scars on my arms from sharp nails and wrestling around. Never has bothered me when I get a wound or two from playful fun.

So a few months ago I was petting him while he was in his kennel. At night before bed. It's HUGE and you could fit many of him in it. He growled and nipped at me. Left a mark and a bruise on my finger. I let it go.

Two nights ago I again petted him goodnight and he didn't growl, but instead bit me so hard I had to go the the doctor for a tetanus shot and get it cleaned out. Now I don't want to pet him. I don't trust him at all. My wife and my girls love him as do I, but all the trust is gone and frankly I'm worried that I'll get bit again. We have a wifi camera that records the whole area and my wife watched the video. She was shocked, she said "you were being so sweet and gentle".

Just to add, he really likes his kennel, and goes there often throughout the day with the door open and lays comfortably. Sometimes he won't even come out when he's called.

He's a Rot/Pit mix. We took him to the vet today and they couldn't get him to show any signs of aggression. Maybe he has aggression regarding his "house" as that's the place he bit me? Twice.

Suggestions? Ideas? And don't just tell me to put him down, because that's the last thing I want to do........

Last Edited:
He doesn't want you messing with his "turf." Not sure I like the sound of that tbh, could be a dominance issue?

Yeah, my youngest is 13 and I'm worried as she lets him out in the morning before school.

Man,,,you need to show your dominance
Just go into his cage and stare at him for 2 or 3 minutes until he cannot make solid eye contact with you anymore then when he turns his head to look away dive on top of him and bite his ear till it draws blood. Then walk on all fours up to the fence in his cage and hike up a leg and pee on the fence while staring him down
He will respect you after that

Yes. And he knows he did wrong, because if I even walk into the room he runs for the kennel with his tail between his legs. My worry is that this has happened twice.....

Man,,,you need to show your dominance
Just go into his cage and stare at him for 2 or 3 minutes until he cannot make solid eye contact with you anymore then when he turns his head to look away dive on top of him and bite his ear till it draws blood. Then walk on all fours up to the fence in his cage and hike up a leg and pee on the fence while staring him down
He will respect you after that

That's the thing, he knows I'm the dominant one. When we wrestle around, I lock him up in a rear choke and he totally submits, gives up. BTW I'm not choking him hard at all, more like a hug he can't get out of. He never whines or yelps or anything and his tail his wagging like crazy. Then it's treat time. We share the treats, and he'll take his half right from my mouth. Yes, I do eat dog treats. They're bland but it's another way we bond.

It's not me I'm worried about so much. I'll heal up fine. I didn't even feel the tetanus shot needle. My 13 year old told me today that she won't pet him if he's in the kennel because he doesn't like it......

I'd sit down with him and have a heart to heart. Tell him you really care for him and want him to be a part of the family, but if he bites you again its over.

Maybe don't do it at his house.

Tough call. How old is he? My dog has in older age bitten me a couple times (pug) I contribute it to just being an almost blind,, completely deaf cranky old bugger. He is the sweetest dog ever 99.9999% of the time. Now that being said your dog sounds like he is quite larger and could cause more damage. I think you are on to something in regards to his kennel?? Wish I had something of value to help. Best wishes.

One test my wife taught me is to stare the dog in his eyes until he breaks off eye contact. If he doesn't break off within a few seconds, you have a problem. He's overly dominant and not trustworthy. If he doesn't break off eye contact within a few seconds, he will never be fully submissive to you. Get rid of him before he hurts someone worse.

If he does break off eye contact, there is hope he will be a good dog. Be the alpha.

Maybe he has some pain somewhere not obvious and it gets to the point he can't take any other stimulation or contact, especially in his safe place.

One test my wife taught me is to stare the dog in his eyes until he breaks off eye contact. If he doesn't break off within a few seconds, you have a problem. He's overly dominant and not trustworthy. If he doesn't break off eye contact within a few seconds, he will never be fully submissive to you. Get rid of him before he hurts someone worse.

If he does break off eye contact, there is hope he will be a good dog. Be the alpha.

I'll try that. That's the thing, I'm so alpha I drive most people away.

Maybe he has some pain somewhere not obvious and it gets to the point he can't take any other stimulation or contact, especially in his safe place.

Hence the vet appointment today. They couldn't find anything wrong with him.

Tough call. How old is he? My dog has in older age bitten me a couple times (pug) I contribute it to just being an almost blind,, completely deaf cranky old bugger. He is the sweetest dog ever 99.9999% of the time. Now that being said your dog sounds like he is quite larger and could cause more damage. I think you are on to something in regards to his kennel?? Wish I had something of value to help. Best wishes.

Ive got two pugs.... The only time I have any fear of getting bit by them is trying to break them up when they go after each other.

I think letting him get away with not coming when called, and probably other 'little' things like that might be contributing. If he doesn't come when called leash him up and make him follow you around the house for a few hours (attach it to your belt). Drive him around the house/yard also, and make him stay in one spot for a bit, then force him to move to another spot. That kennel isn't his, it's yours; remind him.

I'd sit down with him and have a heart to heart. Tell him you really care for him and want him to be a part of the family, but if he bites you again its over.

Maybe don't do it at his house.

Yeah, if it happens again, that's it. My wife agreed to that as well, so did the kids.

I think letting him get away with not coming when called, and probably other 'little' things like that might be contributing. If he doesn't come when called leash him up and make him follow you around the house for a few hours (attach it to your belt). Drive him around the house/yard also, and make him stay in one spot for a bit, then force him to move to another spot. That kennel isn't his, it's yours; remind him.

Roger that. I've owned several dogs. This is a first for me.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top