JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I think the issue is more with the dog feeling its okay to bite instead of growling and barking to let others know he's to be left alone.

He should know that the owner is dominant, while the owner should also let the dog have a place to be comfortable. At the same time, he should know biting isn't the first resort, especially for the people he lives with. If any of that makes sense.

I see your point. Lots do it! But not us. They stay in our bedroom. And the good ones have free range.

Yeah, the wife and I argued about it, then the vet said definitely kennel him when nobody is home. Especially because the door is open if we are home and he seems to gravitate there on his own. It's a really large kennel with a swing up door and he has nicer blankets in there than I do on my bed. :)

I think the issue is more with the dog feeling its okay to bite instead of growling and barking to let others know he's to be left alone.

He should know that the owner is dominant, while the owner should also let the dog have a place to be comfortable. At the same time, he should know biting isn't the first resort, especially for the people he lives with. If any of that makes sense.

It totally makes sense. That's why this whole thing sucks!

Funny you say that. He does choose to go to his kennel. And it's only happened when he's in there. Yesterday the vet tried REALLY hard to make him get aggressive, and he just didn't. No food aggression at all, he offered a treat then held it tightly in his hand and at the same time pulled on his ears and flicked his belly. Tail wagged the whole time. Nothing.

Believe me when I say I understand the importance of showing dominance. I had an un-neutered male Akita that weighed as much as I did. But a relationship, ANY relationship, should be based on mutual respect not fear. Your dog obviously respects you, acknowledges that you are the alpha, and knows that he should not have bitten you. He sounds like a good dog, but maybe just wants you to respect his space (whether it be emotional or physical) when he needs it.

Believe me when I say I understand the importance of showing dominance. I had an un-neutered male Akita that weighed as much as I did. But a relationship, ANY relationship, should be based on mutual respect not fear. Your dog obviously respects you, acknowledges that you are the alpha, and knows that he should not have bitten you. He sounds like a good dog, but maybe just wants you to respect his space (whether it be emotional or physical) when he needs it.

Good post!

Part of the problem with communication between dogs and people is that we don't speak the same language (duh :p). Dogs have a body language that most humans don't pick up on. Just like most dogs don't ever pick up on human body language (which is why we adopt dog behaviors when trying to establish dominance). It's possible that the dog was "saying" he wanted to be left alone long before the bite. Going into his kennel of his own accord is actually a pretty good indicator that was the case.

Part of the problem with communication between dogs and people is that we don't speak the same language (duh :p). Dogs have a body language that most humans don't pick up on. Just like most dogs don't ever pick up on human body language (which is why we adopt dog behaviors when trying to establish dominance). It's possible that the dog was "saying" he wanted to be left alone long before the bite. Going into his kennel of his own accord is actually a pretty good indicator that was the case.
Great points. But what about children around the dog?

My girls know that if he's willingly in his "house" to let him come out on his own. My 13 YO told me she never tries to roust him. Just opens the door and waits for him to come out on his own. She's never had an issue and wakes him up every morning before school to feed him and let him outside.

I always treat my dogs and their kennels as their private space.
It is their shelter from the world around them. Just as us humans have our places that we go to for some space and time.
My male snapped at me a few times when i was reaching into his kennel to put him outside after he chewed something up he wasnt supposed to. He knew he was in trouble, he knew he could escape to his kennel, and he also knew that was his place of comfort in trouble times.
I stopped trying to drag him out. I just simply shut the door and latched it. Then when he had done enough "jail" time i let him, straight outside. Then we would kiss and makeup when he came back inside.

Take my experience for what its worth.
He sounds like a good dog. A young dog. Probably trying to establish some identity and dominance for himself, just like a teenager.
It probably goes without saying but continue training him and using positive reinforcement methods.

I'd sit down with him and have a heart to heart. Tell him you really care for him and want him to be a part of the family, but if he bites you again its over.

Maybe don't do it at his house.

I recall trying that with my first sharpei, but I was pointing my pocketgun at him at the time and telling him that the next time would be the last time--wasn't long before I had him put down. It was not what I wanted, but I couldn't let my problem become someone else's and he had already bit several other people

Other than when the dog is in his kennel there doesn't seem to be an issue so I would tell the children that the dog is to be left alone when he's in there. If they aren't old enough to understand I'd probably move the kennel to somewhere I could control their access to it.

Yeah, this is making more and more sense. I'm not bubbleguming putting him down. That's not gonna bubbleguming happen fellas (and @Kristina ;)). When he was in the puppy ICU I slept in a bubblegumty chair and he opened his eyes a few times and I swear he was tearing up seeing my face. He's been so unhappy since he bit me, my wife keeps saying he just slinks around on his belly and I've seen that too. I'm not going to give up on him until I have no other play. Make no mistake, one of my girls or my wife has an issue I'll make that decision quickly and without prejudice. But.....not today.

I appreciate all the input. Last 3 nights have been sleepless. Yeah, he means that much to me, bite and all.

If I was in that situation and stood up all night just to make sure the dog was okay, I wouldn't want to put him down either.

Hell, I have a hard time kicking stray dogs out of the garage whenever they stop by!

Yeah, this is making more and more sense. I'm not bubbleguming putting him down. That's not gonna bubbleguming happen fellas (and @Kristina ;)). When he was in the puppy ICU I slept in a bubblegumty chair and he opened his eyes a few times and I swear he was tearing up seeing my face. He's been so unhappy since he bit me, my wife keeps saying he just slinks around on his belly and I've seen that too. I'm not going to give up on him until I have no other play. Make no mistake, one of my girls or my wife has an issue I'll make that decision quickly and without prejudice. But.....not today.

I appreciate all the input. Last 3 nights have been sleepless. Yeah, he means that much to me, bite and all.

I hear ya, I had once told the animal control people to foad, after the second time my sharpei had bitten someone, other than myself & then made a 5 hour drive to find a dog that looked like him, so I could 'turn him in' to the animal control people. Towards the end he just kept biting me whenever I tried to give him a bath (he had a nasty skin thing & would smell awful) and also whenever I had to take him to the vet and it just got to be too much. I was at the point where I was afraid of dogs for almost a year, from all the bites

So here's the deal. My oldest daughter got a dog about 2 years ago. Of course her being 20 at the time I ended up raising him more than her. We spent hours upon hours here on the couch, me typing away and him sleeping in my lap. He was my best buddy, and in a house of 5 girls the only other male here. We've gone on extended car rides, walks, played catch...etc....

He lives here at my house full time now.

I've NEVER been rough or abusive with him, nor hit him or otherwise. I have scars on my arms from sharp nails and wrestling around. Never has bothered me when I get a wound or two from playful fun.

So a few months ago I was petting him while he was in his kennel. At night before bed. It's HUGE and you could fit many of him in it. He growled and nipped at me. Left a mark and a bruise on my finger. I let it go.

Two nights ago I again petted him goodnight and he didn't growl, but instead bit me so hard I had to go the the doctor for a tetanus shot and get it cleaned out. Now I don't want to pet him. I don't trust him at all. My wife and my girls love him as do I, but all the trust is gone and frankly I'm worried that I'll get bit again. We have a wifi camera that records the whole area and my wife watched the video. She was shocked, she said "you were being so sweet and gentle".

Just to add, he really likes his kennel, and goes there often throughout the day with the door open and lays comfortably. Sometimes he won't even come out when he's called.

He's a Rot/Pit mix. We took him to the vet today and they couldn't get him to show any signs of aggression. Maybe he has aggression regarding his "house" as that's the place he bit me? Twice.

Suggestions? Ideas? And don't just tell me to put him down, because that's the last thing I want to do........

Several years ago, I had a 85 pd Lab Husky mix given to us that did not have the greatest disposition. He did not seem to like to be groomed or petted.
One day he snapped at me when l was in the dog run with him.
I yelled NO at him but did not hit him.
On the advice of a field trial trainer, l bought a pair of Welding gloves and borrowed a Taser from a friend who was a Deputy Sheriff.
The next day (a Saturday), l put the gloves on, had the Taser hung from my neck, and proceeded to brush him and pet his face ,.......sure enough, he growled at me and snapped at my hand.........I instantly yelled NO and Tased him on the shoulder.
He fell over and yelped very loud and ran into his dog house.
I followed the same procedure the next day,......but he was like a different dog.....no growling or snapping. I did not have to use the Taser a 2nd time. I praised him and gave him a treat.
He was with us for several yrs and died at 11 yrs.
I know all dogs are different and have different personalities and react differently to various forms of "correction"...........I was lucky, this worked for me in this situation....YMMV.

I hear ya, I had once told the animal control people to foad, after the second time my sharpei had bitten someone, other than myself & then made a 5 hour drive to find a dog that looked like him, so I could 'turn him in' to the animal control people. Towards the end he just kept biting me whenever I tried to give him a bath (he had a nasty skin thing & would smell awful) and also whenever I had to take him to the vet and it just got to be too much. I was at the point where I was afraid of dogs for almost a year, from all the bites

I hear you. Honestly, I'm not afraid of dogs or the bites. I'm afraid I'll have to put him down, which stinks so many ways besides the obvious. Told my wife tonight I'm not used to "fear". I was born without much, and it has carried on for 42 years. It's a stupid personality flaw, so when it actually happens it fires off a whole new set of mind games I'm not used to.

Yes. And he knows he did wrong, because if I even walk into the room he runs for the kennel with his tail between his legs. My worry is that this has happened twice.....

Almost sounds like fear biting to me.
I would suggest you find a highly recommended professional to check him out.
Perhaps your Vet knows of some. I'm thinking behaviorist, and barring that a really good obedience trainer.

If you let it go the problem will only get worse. The combination Pit and Rot isn't one of the best for pets, as both breeds have a tendency for aggression especially the males as they are more dominant.

If you can't get good help with him, eventually someone is going to get really hurt, and your only recourse is having him put to sleep by your vet. It's painless and quick! You would be doing everyone who enters your home a service, because the risk is too great for real damage with a dog that has as much power as either breed has.
No matter how much YOU love him, he is after all an animal and their main love is food & comfort! I've heard many people say OH but he LOVES me! I have no real proof that they share that emotion with us humans. Often Humans lack it themselves! They often prefer one person over others, but I don't believe that constitutes LOVE.

I guess it boils down to, Who do You Love?
For me it's an easy decision.
Gabby

My Lhasa is always poking to try for beta, and this is how I got alpha:

First time shaving him and I found sitting on the floor with him upside down was the easiest thing to control his wiggling.

Problem was (besides he hates to show his belly, yet loves to have it rubbedo_O) he would fear bite at the clippers.

I literally sat there for 4 hours with this dog, thumping him on the nose (gently) and telling him no; all the while, he was ridged and squirmy.

Then all of a sudden he went limp and gave up and never bit at a clipper again.

We have been almost inseparable since then and he has been a great friend and companion.

Almost sounds like fear biting to me.
I would suggest you find a highly recommended professional to check him out.
Perhaps your Vet knows of some. I'm thinking behaviorist, and barring that a really good obedience trainer.

If you let it go the problem will only get worse. The combination Pit and Rot isn't one of the best for pets, as both breeds have a tendency for aggression especially the males as they are more dominant.

If you can't get good help with him, eventually someone is going to get really hurt, and your only recourse is having him put to sleep by your vet. It's painless and quick! You would be doing everyone who enters your home a service, because the risk is too great for real damage with a dog that has as much power as either breed has.
No matter how much YOU love him, he is after all an animal and their main love is food & comfort! I've heard many people say OH but he LOVES me! I have no real proof that they share that emotion with us humans. Often Humans lack it themselves! They often prefer one person over others, but I don't believe that constitutes LOVE.

I guess it boils down to, Who do You Love?
For me it's an easy decision.
Gabby

I don't mean to be contentious but dogs do absolutely love.

Maybe not trained hunting dogs but domesticated and socialized dogs will and can love you very much.

I'm sorry to hear that you have never experienced that personally.

And now she's afraid, becau
I don't mean to be contentious but dogs do absolutely love.

Maybe not trained hunting dogs but domesticated and socialized dogs will and can love you very much.

I'm sorry to hear that you have never experienced that personally.

I have brother.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads