JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I cut this Chinese ammo open to see if it was steel core and found that the tip was hollow and was full of these little round white balls. Before I go shoot a rock to try it out, does anybody have an idea what it is?

Tamarahand019_zpsb6c61408.jpg Tamarahand022_zps6169e593.jpg Tamarahand024_zps3a2160a4.jpg Tamarahand025_zps57b9c49a.jpg

after watching THIS video;
AMMOTEST: 7.62x39 HEI High Explosive Incendiary ammo AK 47 SKS WASR-10 - YouTube

and reading this page;
Explosives

I would have to say; PULL THE BULLET and see if the bottom of the bullet matches the video's, if so, then it is a HEI rifle round....and regarding OPSEC; you might want to stash the ammo; or hide it very well.... and mark them so that you KNOW which one is which, it'd be POOR sportsmanship to have one of those impact a steel gong at the range; or to have one go into a deer... shooting it into a rock is a bad idea if it is like the video's display, you certainly don't want to risk ricochets with this type if indeed, it is a HEI rifle round.

I'd try to see if it burns. If it's inert, it's to destabilize it.. so it tumbles etc. when it hits. I remember some old military rounds used like light wood or something up front to do the same.

my $ says it's plastic, probably polyethylene, many bullets over the years have had fillers in the nose to give the bullet a longer profile to give a better ballistic coefficient without adding weight and retarding muzzle velocity.

The brits used paper in some Mk VII rounds, and the SS109 (M855) bullet uses steel. The reason you have a point filler is so the core doesn't move around during production.

Put a few of them into a cup of water, if they float it's probably PE, if it dissolves it's probably salt, if it sinks or burns it might be an explosive (BUT I REALLY DOUBT THIS)

I'd treat it as toxic, feed some to the wife's cat as a test

Good Idea! I hate cats.

Whatever it is it seems to be rare and unusual. I got a bunch of it loose in an ammo can in a trade for some 45 acp. I thought it was just regular Chinese surplus to be shot up. I always check for steel cores when I get a head stamp I don't know. I was surprised at what I found.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top