JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
Nobody uses mild steel on their knives except cheap no-name imported brands you can get for a buck at 7-11.

If you don't mind my asking, which model of knife did you get, and what did you pay for it?

Quote from self

The whole point of the thread is
why a high end high dollar company would not clearly mark when they release to the public a less than perfect product and with no warranty to stand behind it.

That just blows my mind

They DID clearly mark it. You even SAW the "XXXXX" on the blade. Your lack of knowledge about what you're buying is not the manufacturer's fault. < THAT is what blows my mind!

I went to a retailer during lunch takes a green card to get in and asked few sales folks what the xxxx meant on my knife one knew the rest did not.

Most sales clerks are not going to know the warranty of every product they sell.

This is NOT the fault of the manufacturer. Kershaw is VERY clear about marking their seconds. It sounds like the retailer (that you purchased from) needs to educate their staff. This again, is not Kershaw's fault.
You could have done the research before you dropped the cash.

Comparing it to "BiMart" ("green card to get in") is comparing apples to oranges. BiMart doesn't carry or sell factory seconds, so their staff shouldn't need to know about the "XXXXX". However, any place that DOES sell factory seconds has some responsibility to train their sales staff accordingly.

now I have a throw away knife
Had I known by it clearly being stamped on knife I would not bought the xxxx
but looked for one that did not have the xxxx stamped on it.
I would paid more for no second.
THIS is the crux of your entire problem.
You are not taking responsibility for failing to educate yourself before your purchase. - not Kershaw's fault
OR, you trusted the retailer and they intentionally mislead or sold you a second (again, not Kershaw's fault - this would be the retailer's fraudulent business practices)
Salesperson didn't know WTF they were doing and unknowingly didn't "inform" you that it was a second - retailer/store owner's fault for not training their sales staff.
If the retailer informed you that it had a lifetime warranty, that is THEIR fault - not Kershaw's.

You're venting and misplacing blame. The blame lies with you or the retailer.

When you bought it did it even have a box, I think all the XXXX knives I have bought at their warehouse sale none of them had a box. The blame here is all on the retailer you bought it from.

I missed this on the first read. I have collected a few very nice knives over the years and only a few have been carried in rotation.
I have brought seconds for my two boys and family deploying GI's. The ones that came boxed had no company paperwork enclosed and were sold as seconds. Two were notched at the bottom of the blade back towards the Ricasso and shipped wrapped and in a padded mailing envelope. If you brought it from a store and they sold it as a perfect you got had, and they need to be reported to Kershaw.

High quality knives like Randall's are more desirable with the original box same as a desirable firearm.

While I am on a roll here:

File & Wire
You will find a high quality knife that will have the "Blade ONLY" marked with an X or multiple X's and that can denote something like belowV

Before the Rockwell tester, the File & Wire mark was used to indicate that the hardness and toughness of a blade had passed the file and wire test. The test consisted of cutting the edge bevel with a new file to test the hardness and then tapping the blade edge through a piece of wire of a known hardness to test the toughness. If the edge was not blunted by the wire, it passed the test and was marked with "File & Wire Tested". This method and mark was used by Schatt & Morgan for many years and evolved into a brand. .

Ya just don't get. You fk'd up and want to cover your A$$.
Try this.
Kershaw Specials
I type in Kershaw xxxx, and guess what, 1,460,000 hits come up, that is one million four hundred and sixty thousand hits. Where in the hell do you get off saying nothing comes up when you Google it?
Please grow a set and quit being a baby. You got took and now you are whining.
It is common knowledge that Kershaw sells seconds, it is common knowledge that 4 xxxx's means a second knife for Kershaw, it is common knowledge that Kershaw doesn't offer warranty on seconds(as well as several million other companies).
Your complaint, the blade is made from "mild steel" and "it won't hold and edge", throw it away and go buy something else. Shut up, quit using space on this forum to show how small, petty, and stupid you are. I come here to buy, sell, and learn, not listen to foolish, self important jackasses. Please leave off this post and go cry somewhere else.

If it has those kind of problems (and you aren't in the area) I'd mail it to Kershaw with an explination letter. You might have bought a knockoff. I don't know why someone would purposely market something as a second, unless they were worried about reprercussions of the inferior product.
The reason is my dad and I were at the portland gun show a couple years back and came across a "dealer" selling kershaw knives. He had the same model I paid $60 for listed at $15. I told him that's a great deal and it looked just like mine so he bought one. The next day, after flicking it open the liner lock broke in two and fell out. We then carefully compared it to mine and the markings on the blade were slightly different.
He took it to Kershaw to get a replacement liner lock and they said it was indeed a knockoff. They asked if they could keep it (i assume to try to find out where it's originating from) and gave him a new one, the real deal for free.
So before you badmouth a northwest company with a great reputation try to work it out with them. They seem to be pretty good about making things right and definitely don't like people using their name to peddle cheap chinese bubblegum.
It may have come from the same piece of excrement that was selling them at the gun show as the real deal.

So before you badmouth a northwest company with a great reputation try to work it out with them. They seem to be pretty good about making things right and definitely don't like people using their name to peddle cheap chinese bubblegum.
It may have come from the same piece of excrement that was selling them at the gun show as the real deal.

Who is bad mouthing Kreshaw I have not said one bad comment about them.

Question 1.
I am asking the same question as to why they choose to sell Knives that do not meet their high quality standards
to the public and not honor them with a warranty?

Question 2.
Why is the seconds stamp xxxx in code not clearly marked?

This is the point of discussion some have articulated their point outstandingly well.
Others do not have valid arguement so they type with emotion

Some have said that the xxxx is well known but to who?
I am the general public and looking at the knife ( there is a picture posted at the start of this thread)
manufacture date, manufacture country, model number, designer name are all printed in clear english just not the word second humm.
This leads me to believe that the reason Kershaw does not print seconds in clear english is it would devalue the the selling price of the knife.

1. They sell them for a few reason. People like to get a great knife for cheap. You can test it out, beat and if you dont like it no biggie, it was cheap. This is good chance for many people to visit the factory and meet the staff. I like the blems a lot. They could melt down the metal but that would be a shame. Also, selling seconds helps recoup there losses and thus keeps the prices of their regular knives down.

2. That is there their laser engraver is lined up with the knives. And a xxxx in the middle of the blade would be too ugly, IMHO. Would you want them to make all the blems Neon Orange. They could put "No Warranty, this is a blemished knife" but that is too long

In all honesty, the only way to get a blem to so go to the warehouse sell, or buy from a person who did. The store you bought it from was VERY wrong to sell it. If you want, send me a message with the info and ill get a hold of Kershaw, they will contact the store, they are not allowed to sell seconds like that.

The store didnt get these on accident, they bought them and then re-sold them. It is a unfortunate event, but like others said, and it is 100% true that it is the store who is at fault, they are basically scamming people. Kershaw is not to blame at all, they are the best company I have ever dealt with as a consumer. Ill say it one more time. It is the Store who is to blame.

Status

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads