JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
Reactions
I purchased my knife from a knife store in Reedsport some may know the store.
The little that did I know about Kershaw knifes was that there is a life time warranty right?
Wrong
From the Kershaw web site
Do you sell factory seconds?

Generally, no; however there is one exception. We do sell some factory seconds during our annual Warehouse Sale. Please understand that, since these are "seconds" and we do not consider them first quality, they do not carry the Kershaw Lifetime Warranty. The Warehouse Sale is held around Thanksgiving, in our Tualatin, Oregon facility only.

The link
KAI USA : Kershaw FAQ's
The knife I bought has xxxx stamped on it which means no warranty.
What I do not understand is that a knife that does not meet their standards is still being sold under their name yet carries no warranty. Most companies would not release a product that does not meet their standards
I feel like I got ripped off as the knife was not cheap
What's your take on this?

IMG_1086.jpg

IMG_1086.jpg

Sorry for your problem, but it is your problem, lots of companies have this policy, one example is Columbia Sportsware, they have company stores that sell year round, the stores sell both first and second condition products, with no warranty on 2nds.
The rules are clearly stated, no warranty on seconds, your problem is with the store who sold you the knife not Kershaw, when Kershaw sold it it was sold as a second at a reduced price, they disclosed the condition.
Go back to where you bought it and complain to them or ask for your money back.
Kershaw builds a quality product and honors their warranty as stated. I own and will own Kershaw products.

Jim

Yep, this isn't Kershaw's fault, it is the store you bought it at. I'm pretty sure you got ripped off if you paid more than a few bucks for that knife. I bought a Ken Onion folder that looks very similar to that one at the Expo center show for $20.

I purchased several Kershaw ken onion factory 2nds at there factory sale in the mid 90's or so. Yes it is true that they do not have a factory warranty with the XXXX's on the blade. But the 2nds were fully functional, they just had a blemish on the blades finish, grip, etc. I am still using the same 1 after all these years and the others are stored away for future use. If i remember right, i paid under $15 each.

Your problem is with the store you purchased it from not Kershaw.

I purchased my knife from a knife store in Reedsport some may know the store.
The little that did I know about Kershaw knifes was that there is a life time warranty right?
Wrong
From the Kershaw web site
Do you sell factory seconds?

Generally, no; however there is one exception. We do sell some factory seconds during our annual Warehouse Sale. Please understand that, since these are "seconds" and we do not consider them first quality, they do not carry the Kershaw Lifetime Warranty. The Warehouse Sale is held around Thanksgiving, in our Tualatin, Oregon facility only.

The link
KAI USA : Kershaw FAQ's
The knife I bought has xxxx stamped on it which means no warranty.
What I do not understand is that a knife that does not meet their standards is still being sold under their name yet carries no warranty. Most companies would not release a product that does not meet their standards
I feel like I got ripped off as the knife was not cheap
What's your take on this?

View attachment 41070

"A fool and his money are soon seperated". The store that sold that second at nearly full price is at fault. Let the buyer beware!

Yup, not a problem with Kershaw- the problem is a knife dealer that bought the things for pennies on the dollar, and then sold it to you at retail. You got hosed bro

Hold on hold on
Maybe I did not state my point clearly to this thread
My point is Kershaw states a life time warranty on their products.
I have never encountered a product or company that releases a product with a life time warranty that does not meet their quality standards then adds a disclaimer to the warranty that this product is a second.
I do not blame the retailer he is selling a product and has no control over the warranty of a product.
The knife should have been clearly stamped this is second and contains no warranty.
How would this go over with firearms made in America?

thats what the xxxx means, and a lot of companies sell seconds they are refered to as blems or blemished product for a discounted price and no warranty. that knife at the show goes for $15 because it is a blem of 4x

Just fine with firearms or any other product sold as a "2nd".

You pay a reduced price for a functioning product that does not meet their normal standards nor carries their normal warranty. I am confused what the problem is?

I bought a Weatherby "2nd" rifle years ago. I could not find the "blemish" in it. I paid $800 for a $1600 gun. I knew what I was buying and got what I was buying. I have bought many things in this manner.

If you want the full warranty and full service and #1 condition pay full price.........

Hold on hold on
I have never encountered a product or company that releases a product with a life time warranty that does not meet their quality standards then adds a disclaimer to the warranty that this product is a second.
I do not blame the retailer he is selling a product and has no control over the warranty of a product.
The knife should have been clearly stamped this is second and contains no warranty.

Slow down and rethink this.
You bought it from a retailer, where did he get it? He obviously is at fault as he doesnt know his own merchandise. As stated it was clearly marked as a second (XXXX) and he should know that that is what those little x's are. This all boils down to the ol addage "let the buyer beware",why would you buy something that costs you enough to be upset about getting a second without doing some research first.

If you were sold the knife at MSRP, or close to, contact Kershaw with the dealer information. I'm sure they would be a little upset of a dealer doing crap like that. Also explain to them what happened.

I broke one of their old multi-tools that I had for years. They gave me a voucher for the MSRP since it's no longer available with no hassle at all. A lot of times just explain your situation and they will try to work with you.

Are you having a problem with the product?
If so, CALL them and ask about getting parts. They'll ship springs and screws (the most commonly requested parts) and some other small parts to you at no cost to you, regardless of the condition of the knife.

Far as the warranty, NOBODY warranties factory seconds or blems, and as you found, it's usually stated somewhere in the company's literature where anybody can find it.
The fact that you paid a lot of money for a second should be addressed by the retailer, not the manufacturer... And yes, I think it would have been responsible of them to label the knives as seconds in addition to letting the "X"s speak for themselves.

Caveat emptor.

Are you having a problem with the product?
If so, CALL them and ask about getting parts. They'll ship springs and screws (the most commonly requested parts) and some other small parts to you at no cost to you, regardless of the condition of the knife.

Far as the warranty, NOBODY warranties factory seconds or blems, and as you found, it's usually stated somewhere in the company's literature where anybody can find it.
The fact that you paid a lot of money for a second should be addressed by the retailer, not the manufacturer... And yes, I think it would have been responsible of them to label the knives as seconds in addition to letting the "X"s speak for themselves.

Caveat emptor.

Exactly. The "This is a factory second, no warranty included!" WAS clearly marked on the knife when it was purchased. But only for the original purchaser! Everyone else gets to see the "XXXX", he had to go under a big sign that said exactly what you're looking for.

Exactly. The "This is a factory second, no warranty included!" WAS clearly marked on the knife when it was purchased. But only for the original purchaser! Everyone else gets to see the "XXXX", he had to go under a big sign that said exactly what you're looking for.

This is not true the factory second is not clearly marked but instead is a marked code.
To me and most of the world the xxxx has no meaning.

This is not true the factory second is not clearly marked but instead is a marked code.
To me and most of the world the xxxx has no meaning.

Note what I said, you ARE NOT the original purchaser, you are essentially buying it 2nd hand, since Kershaw only allows them to be sold as 'new' at their store. My understanding is that they tell you this stuff explicitly (as well as have a pretty obvious sign) when you go buy it.

Tons of companies do factory-seconds without a warranty. Clothes always seem to cut the tags, manufactured goods mess with the serial/part number. If you want a warranty on a product, pay normal going rate for it from a reputable shop!

Note what I said, you ARE NOT the original purchaser, you are essentially buying it 2nd hand, since Kershaw only allows them to be sold as 'new' at their store. My understanding is that they tell you this stuff explicitly (as well as have a pretty obvious sign) when you go buy it.

Tons of companies do factory-seconds without a warranty. Clothes always seem to cut the tags, manufactured goods mess with the serial/part number. If you want a warranty on a product, pay normal going rate for it from a reputable shop!

It does not matter if I am the second owner to a company with a life time warranty
just to name a few
Ruger
HI-Point

Give an example of a company that has a life time warranty with a but in it for seconds

No american made guns that I know of

No there is nothing wrong with my knife
The blade is mild steel that is my problem

Simple solution if you dont like Kershaw dont buy them - I have bought many and for my purposes seconds are just fine - I normally end up losing them anyways. I will admit that if I paid full price for a second then I would be a bit miffed - however there is a reason for the XXXX stamped over the top of the of the kershaw name and as a buyer I would be responsible for asking questions. A seller that sold a second as a new knife ( unblemished ) I would never ever buy from again. I feel that keshaw sells thier seconds in good faith. Question - what should kershaw do with thier blemishes if they dont sell them as they do?

Respectfully

James Ruby

Well one example of a lifetime warranty that doesn't apply to seconds would be my pickup. I have a 2007 Dodge Ram 1500 with a lifetime powertrain warranty. That warranty only applies to me, not to a second owner of the truck

Hold on hold on

doing-it-wrong.jpg

Status

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews