JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I finally shot my recently acquired Python. 4", blue. I'm not used to good triggers. I haven't shot a lot of S&W's with famously good triggers. I've been a Taurus guy and some old Mk III Colts. The Python - wow! Dead nuts accurate - even with me at the trigger. Smoothest action I've ever experienced. Single action - can almost think the trigger to shoot. Very smooth to shoot with minimal recoil. I'm very pleased. :)

When I had the chance to buy a minty, original owner 6" Bright Stainless Python for a great price, I knew I wouldn't see that kind of deal again in my lifetime.
I should shoot it, but it's defiantly a safe queen and only comes out into the light of day just to show folks what true firearm craftsmanship feels like. Your right about the action/trigger, they're exceptional.
My Ruger Security Six gets all the range time.

Smoooooth....I have a blued six inch built in 1960 that I bought from the original owner in 1985. I shot it for the first couple of years but since then has been retired.

Was offered $2,200 sight unseen a year ago but no reason to sell it.

When I was in AFG, I found a shooter Python on GB. Bought it. The wife got pissed. :s0012: Said she didn't see what was so special about Pythons. When she took delivery, she really got pissed. :s0117: Said I got screwed royally (pun intended) because it was beat to hell. (Holster wear)

The wife took all this back when she 'broke it in'. :s0017: "Now I see why everyone wants one of these" and I was "forgiven", like I had done something wrong......sheesh! :s0001:

DSCN3303.JPG I have a couple pythons. Nice guns but S&W's have nicer triggers. And are much easier to tune.
I do however like the way the python cylinder locks before the hammer falls.
Funny how things no longer made, take on a golden patina in our minds.:rolleyes:

Last Edited:
I have a couple pythons. Nice guns but S&W's have nicer triggers. And are much easier to tune.
I do however like the way the python cylinder locks before the hammer falls.
Funny how things no longer made, take on a golden patina in our minds.:rolleyes:

yeah, a golden patina and a golden price tag lol

I like my Python but I also must admit the 686 can have a better trigger with the right parts. I have also owned many S&W revolvers including the 686. The 686 trigger can be lightened and retain the smooth consistent pull. The Python trigger starts out light but gets heavier towards the end. It is still pretty light but it is different. The Python also has a larger frame than the 686 which can be a handful for those with smaller hands. The Python remains a classic despite its deficiencies.

686.jpg

Python
9fe878cadffe729a399aae88dfa415fe_zpsfe7c8ab3.jpg

th_686.jpg

th_5651ec7d52d5700732ef740eb24514ce_zpsa9f49790.jpg

5651ec7d52d5700732ef740eb24514ce_zpsa9f49790.jpg

Last Edited:
Whilst not to derail this thread completely, i understand the current 686 is not really that desirable due to the lock (and i prefer 6 shots)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top