JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Just got this guy on Saturday its my first blacktail. Im doing my first euro mount on it. I decided I'm going to have a taxidermist do the euro, beetles are the way to go. Besides I dint gave the tineright now to process it.

6299995009_9a0166a24a_b.jpg

Nice buck! Slow roil, never boil. Just simmer in a large pot,, preferably outside if your married. If not, it's your call, I prefer the pole barn and crab cooker for mine, yep,, Im married. After you have skinned and removed as much flesh off the skull as possible, combine a (very important here) "NON" bleach laundry detergent, approx. one cup, with one cup ammonia, add enough water to cover the skull and simmer, now you see why I do it outside. The detergent and ammonia combine to remove the flesh while not letting the fat soak back into the skull. >>>REMEMBER to use a NON bleach detergent<<< as the gasses released would be very toxic! After you have removed the defleshed and clean skull (you may have to clean a little more) allow it to dry. Then head down to the local beauty salon and by a commercial grade 40% peroxide. Be warned that buying too much of this can get you flagged on the terror watch list as it is a HME component and can get you looked at. This can either be placed in a plastic bad and taped off below the antlers, or can be placed into a container and the skull allowed to soak for a few hours to bleach it white. Don't allow it to get on the antlers, it will bleach them also. Enjoy, and again,, nice buck!

Just saw the rest of his pics. Yes, that is a suppressor on a Noveske! Uh, not legal in Oregon.

Actually the Suppressor is Legal for hunting anything in Oregon. There is nothing in the regs anywhere prohibiting it. And I called the ODFW and talked to them twice and both times I was told if the hunter can legally own they can legally use it for hunting in Oregon. As is a .223

Actually the Suppressor is Legal for hunting anything in Oregon. There is nothing in the regs anywhere prohibiting it. And I called the ODFW and talked to them twice and both times I was told if the hunter can legally own they can legally use it for hunting in Oregon. As is a .223

That is what I have been told as well.

It was all legal I'm a landowner agent and it was taken on private land. It's not a .223 it's my .300 AAC blk. Tacticalinsertion you should learn the laws before you give legal advise on the Internet. To all you other guys thanks for looking I'm glad I tagged out since we just had our second baby and spitting time between no sleep at home and hunting (with my awesome wife's blessing) was certainly wearing me out. He was 131 yds away one shot thru the heart. I make all my own ammo. Round is loaded with a .308 cal 130gr Barnes T-TSX with 18.5 grs of H110 just a small rifle primer. Plenty of power out to 300 yds. If was going to shoot any more than 225-250 I would bring a bigger gun. I took a pic of the heart but it's hard to see cause all I had is my cell phone camera and it's obviously not so great at night. That pic I posted even had a photographer buddy go thru it and try to clean it up.

It was barely legal light and as stated everything was legal I have too much to loose over doing the wrong thing. The only time for a shot on this peice of property is right before dark and i dont carry my phone on me there since I have no service. That's not nightvision it's an Aimpoint. Thanks for looking guys my wife is glad to have me back.

That is a beautiful buck. Don't worry about the darkness. I shot my buck last year while still legally light and by the time I got to it and set up for a picture it was dark. It goes from dusk to dark in about 30 minutes....I've found best time to hunt for black tail is at dusk in that window "Game mammals may only be hunted from 1/2 hour before sunrise to 1/2 hour after sunset."

That 1/2 hour after sunset is the best time...and it will be dark within a few minutes of that.

It's 30 minutes before sunrise and 30 minutes after sundown unless the LO agent is hunting predators or furbearers, and believe me, 30 minutes after sundown is REAL dark where I hunt. Semi-auto .223 is legal for deer, but cannot use a magazine allowing greater than 5 shot capacity. Also no FMJ bullets allowed for deer. I always get a LOP tag when I miss the normal draw. It limits me to about 3000 acres of the combined family properties where I hunt, but it's better than no tag at all.

BTW, I've gotten 5 deer in 10 years on the ranch, and two of those years I missed the draw and we weren't yet registered for LOP tags. I didn't think my success rate was all that good. Guess it's all in how you look at it.

Nice buck though! Keep it up!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads