JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Bullet selection is the most important, but a full powered 357 should still have plenty of steam out of a carbine at 150 yards.

With the proper style bullet , sure it could be done.
Shot placement here will play a big role in how this all works out.
However deer seldom give a hunter that perfect shot set up....and 150 yards is a long ways out there.

Also game laws vary from state to state..is .357 Magnum legal for deer in Oregon...?
Andy

With the proper style bullet , sure it could be done.
Shot placement here will play a big role in how this all works out.
However deer seldom give a hunter that perfect shot set up....and 150 yards is a long ways out there.

Also game laws vary from state to state..is .357 Magnum legal for deer in Oregon...?
Andy
Yes sir! Just needs a 6" barrel. You can use .222 in Oregon.

Last Edited:
The limiting factor would be trajectory. Bullet drop becomes a factor beyond about 75 yards, because the bullets are short, fat, and blunt. This makes shot placement more difficult. Power is adequate at longer ranges, so that isn't the limiting factor.

Shots at Blacktail generally occur at pretty short range. They keep to thick cover. However, they are becoming quite numerous in the fields of the Willamette Valley, and anyone hunting in the open fields should choose a caliber and firearm with a flatter trajectory.

Ahoy there,

I have a buddy with a winchester 1894c lever action in .357 mag. He thinks it is adequate for blacktails within 150 yards. What do you guys think?
It will all depend on can he hit what he shoots at, or is he planing to shoot "at" the deer and hope he makes a good hit? With proper loads the round will certainly make clean kills out to that range. 150 yds is pushing it a little but again can he hit where he needs to hit?

Yes sir! Just needs a 6" barrel. You can use .222 in Oregon.
I've never seen any regulation on barrel length for any firearm in Oregon, just caliber minimums.
Is .223 legal for blacktails in Or?
Yes. 22 caliber centerfire and larger for deer, 24 caliber and larger for elk.

I doubt I'd try to push a 357 to 150 yards and kill a deer. I think that would be a pretty far poke for that bullet to carry enough oomph. I do think that would be a very effective cartridge out of a carbine at normal woods distances, rarely past 50 yards.
I almost shot a small buck a few years ago with my 45. I'd gone up to our place directly from work and didn't have a rifle. My wife had shot a deer and I was going to help. As I went past our orchard there was a buck standing there, so I grabbed my carry gun and crossed the road. I had him in my sights at less than 20 yards, but then looked down and saw I was still on the shoulder of the road. I took two more steps and he took off. I would never recommend a 45ACP for deer hunting, but a chest shot at that distance didn't bother me in the least.

You're right, I was thinking Hawaii pistol regs.
I wondered. My other assumption was this was your opinion on the barrel minimum length to make the most out of the 357.

As an aside, I had 41 Mags for a long time. A round that was 1300+fps out of my 6.5" Ruger was almost 1900fps out of a 20" Marlin. There is a fair amount gained by that extra 14" of barrel, especially with a slow powder like H110. But still, pistol bullets pretty much drop like a rock at any distance.

Out of respect for the deer your friend would be wise to limit his shots to 75 yards or less.
Can he hit a deer at 150? You betcha, but to think he can consistently make clean kills at that range in the field is unrealistic.
Might be able to do it at the range from a rest day in and day out, but doing it in an honest to gosh hunting situation is quite another matter.

Is .223 legal for blacktails in Or?
Yes. In Oregon for hunting deer, pronghorn, black bear, and cougar any rifle or handgun in centerfire .22 or larger is legal. There are no specifications on barrel length or bullet weight, type, or power. For shotguns, #1 buckshot or larger or slugs are legal.

For hunting elk, big horn sheep, or Rocky Mountain goat any rifle or handgun in center fire .24 caliber or bigger is legal. Likewise no specifications on barrel length or bullet weight, type, or power. Shotguns are legal for elk only with slugs. Shotguns are not legal on sheep or goats..

Here are all the relevant laws, including those for muzzle loading rifles and bows:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top