JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I agree.

However, depending on the situation more than a 357 may not be required.
A 357 Carbine would easily have taken my last 4 bucks. The farthest one was maybe 35 yards.
Two were from a treestand, which is usually how I hunt now. Even after logging around our orchard, I don't think I have the opportunity to shoot farther than 50 yards.

But, when elk hunting or hunting deer NOT from a treestand, I don't want to limit myself, especially with Blacktails.
I can see the advantage of a tree stand, but I thought you made a good point that we're discussing BLACKTAIL deer here, specifically. As deer go, they tend to be a little smaller than average.
I don't think I'd feel so limited on the ground, as opposed to a tree stand, to eliminate a .357 rifle as a possible choice for a hunting arm, but I wouldn't want to hunt anything larger than a Blacktail with it.

I personally love the challenge of using weapons that require more skill to effectively take a big game animal. Many years afield teaches one the proper discretion of when to pull the trigger and when not to. With every weapon this changes and good judgement is needed.

I personally love the challenge of using weapons that require more skill to effectively take a big game animal. Many years afield teaches one the proper discretion of when to pull the trigger and when not to. With every weapon this changes and good judgement is needed.
For reasons like this I hunted with a single shot rifle for a few years. I didn't shoot anything, but that wasn't the rifles fault.

I'm going back to open sight lever gun, test my skills. I have a old waffle top I'd like to take a deer with
I don't know if it was directly test my skills and abilities, but hunting with my old Winchester surely did!
First legal light, a very nice buck walked into the orchard and I couldn't see my sights all. He walked off.
Long story short, much later that day I took a break and left the treestand. I got caught in the open when a small, legal buck came along. I didn't get much of an opportunity to shoot, but in broad daylight, 35 yards was a quick shot.

The scoped bolt guns rarely see any field time with me that is not "pinch time" (last day of a hunt, etc.)

Lion's share of time in the field for me toward big game is bow and arrow, then other limited weaponry (antiques, replicas, blackpowder, handguns, etc.).

I have learned that if the intention is to "someday kill something with that gun" (antique, sentimental, unusual, etc.), the only strategy is to carry that gun exclusively.

Leave the scoped bolt gun in camp. "Dedicate" to the special gun.

1709086796587.jpeg
Winchester Model 1876, Caliber .45-60.

It is a sad tome, but I let an 8x8 bull walk at 180yds on a muzzleloader hunt last fall. It was well within the range I had practiced at and could keep shots in the kill zone with my peep sight set up. I also was confident in the the terminal performance of the load at that range and beyond. It was a broadside shot and I had a great rest. However, the wind was howling and it was raining sideways and I just could not bring myself to take the shot. Tried to get closer as light was fading and the approach was a bit dicey if the wind shifted at all. Of course that is exactly what happened and a bull of a lifetime was gone as fast as the shifting wind. 😢

It is a sad tome, but I let an 8x8 bull walk at 180yds on a muzzleloader hunt last fall. It was well within the range I had practiced at and could keep shots in the kill zone with my peep sight set up. I also was confident in the the terminal performance of the load at that range and beyond. It was a broadside shot and I had a great rest. However, the wind was howling and it was raining sideways and I just could not bring myself to take the shot. Tried to get closer as light was fading and the approach was a bit dicey if the wind shifted at all. Of course that is exactly what happened and a bull of a lifetime was gone as fast as the shifting wind. 😢
True

However.....
You got to see that 8x8 bull....and you stayed within your shooting abilities in that particular situation.
You didn't get the bull....but you Hunted.
Hunting , is far more than getting the animal.
Andy

I have learned that if the intention is to "someday kill something with that gun" (antique, sentimental, unusual, etc.), the only strategy is to carry that gun exclusively.

Leave the scoped bolt gun in camp. "Dedicate" to the special gun.

View attachment 1832700
Winchester Model 1876, Caliber .45-60.
I was fortunate to do something similar. As a much younger me, I hunted with my 1894 for several years and never shot a deer.
I remedied that situation, too.

I think you made a good call in not taking the shot. As has been pointed out, you got to see him and know you could have made the shot had environmental conditions permitted. Sometimes the best story is about the one that got away.

I think you made a good call in not taking the shot. As has been pointed out, you got to see him and know you could have made the shot had environmental conditions permitted. Sometimes the best story is about the one that got away.
Yup. Worst thing to hear in a hunting story is, "It was the only shot I had, so I took it."

Yup. Worst thing to hear in a hunting story is, "It was the only shot I had, so I took it."
Nope. My mother told me about having done some hiking in Virginia with dad during hunting season and their stopping for coffee on the drive home, and hearing a group of hunters in a booth nearby talking about how many "sound shots" vs "sight shots" they had each got. Apparently these hunters considered it completely acceptable to blast away at something in the brush that they had simple heard and had not seen or identified visually at all! That was a "sound shot." !!! :eek:

Nope. My mother told me about having done some hiking in Virginia with dad during hunting season and their stopping for coffee on the drive home, and hearing a group of hunters in a booth nearby talking about how many "sound shots" vs "sight shots" they had each got. Apparently these hunters considered it completely acceptable to blast away at something in the brush that they had simple heard and had not seen or identified visually at all! That was a "sound shot." !!! :eek:
Don't judge. My uncle made a point of talking about "sound shots" wherever he encountered (or was around, such as in a restaurant during Season) other hunters.

"Keeps 'em outta my neck o' th' woods!", he'd say. :D

Last Edited:
Don't judge. My uncle made a point about talking about "sound shots" wherever he encountered (or was around, such as in a restaurant during Season) other hunters.

"Keep 'em outta my neck o' th' woods!", he'd say. :D
It was kind of the norm "back in the day". Maybe not so much in restaurants for our group, but out in the woods it was a pretty common occurrence when you encountered folks hunting in "YOUR" area. A lot of times people you encountered would reply with how many sound shots they had taken as well. In such cases, both parties would be grinning from ear to ear.

It was kind of the norm "back in the day". Maybe not so much in restaurants for our group, but out in the woods it was a pretty common occurrence when you encountered folks hunting in "YOUR" area. A lot of times people you encountered would reply with how many sound shots they had taken as well. In such cases, both parties would be grinning from ear to ear.
I did watch my uncle kill a motorcycle with his Springfield once. He politely waited until the "hunter" got off and away from it. Hated seeing 'em in the woods.

This fits. By then my mom and dad were City People, not local to the areas were they were hiking.

I heard of two different people who got shot at while hunting. Both were local to the areas were they were hunting. I mean multiple shots taken at ranges long enough so that it wasn't obvious whether the assailant was trying to hit them and missing or deliberate firing close to them. In both cases the shooter was well concealed .

Anyone have any insights on that?

I'm going back to open sight lever gun, test my skills. I have a old waffle top I'd like to take a deer with
Interesting comment. There must be something in the air. I've been thinking of pulling the scope off my dad's 94 and installing a Williams peep sight on it.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top