JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
My daughter just got a one day suspension for making a paper gun. I didn't handle the phone call as well as I should of. I just don't understand why it's bad for a 9 year old to make a paper gun for her dad (that's why she made it) she new I was looking at getting a new for awhile now and just wanted to be nice and the school punished her for it.

They're afraid she'd shoot the paper gun and give everyone a papercut.

Schools these days act as if they don't know the constitution. The U.S used to be a gun culture. You used to be able to bring that gun you got for Christmas to school to show it off. Not anymore. Paper gun? Those toasted things with the filling? Shape either one into a gun and somehow you're the offspring of Hitler.

Schools these days act as if they don't know the constitution. The U.S used to be a gun culture. You used to be able to bring that gun you got for Christmas to school to show it off. Not anymore. Paper gun? Those toasted things with the filling? Shape either one into a gun and somehow you're the offspring of Hitler.
It' just sad that I have to tell my daughter that she can talk about somehing that she is really interested in with her friends at school because of some one else's views.

My daughter just got a one day suspension for making a paper gun. I didn't handle the phone call as well as I should of. I just don't understand why it's bad for a 9 year old to make a paper gun for her dad (that's why she made it) she new I was looking at getting a new for awhile now and just wanted to be nice and the school punished her for it.
Common Sense has been flipped on it's head. We should bring back "Tar & Feathering"

Do you have a student/parent handbook? Many schools post it online on their website. Depending on what it says and what your daughter did, you may be able to, at least, have the suspension removed from her records. Schools a really touchy at the moment due to the recent shootings.

The U.S. used to be a literate culture, and what we're seeing now is the result.

Ya I'm going to look into home school now she learned the hard stuff I'm sure I can teach her the rest going to have a talk with the wife about it when she gets home

Ya I'm going to look into home school now she learned the hard stuff I'm sure I can teach her the rest going to have a talk with the wife about it when she gets home

Keep in mind, a home school student can use school resources. For example, electives such as music and after school activities such as sports. There are also a lot of "on-line" public schools with varying degrees of educational benefit.

Also depending on what the "rule book" says (look for words like facsimile and like) and what your daughter did, you can appeal a suspension.

I had a very similar experience and won on appeal, kind of.
Short story.....right after the the Columbine shooting.
I was in the military overseas so my son was in a DoD school 11th grade. Our dinner table discussion about the events was pretty candid. We have always encouraged our kids to talk about world events and how they perceived them. At either rate this discussion was fascinating to him and during some time in the quad he made the comment that anyone could bring a gun to school and shoot the place up, what is stopping anyone. HOLY COW. !!! All hell broke loose and you would have thought he was contemplating a shooting by the reaction of the administration.

Long story short the student handbook had a process for appeal and I did. The principal absolutely hated me for enforcing her rule book. I made a LOT of unexpected work for her and she threatened to go to the base C.O. because of my "aggressive attitude" HA! . He ended up with one day served and a lesson in intolerance.

I would encourage the OP to review the student handbook and appeal if it is an option.

~Whitney

It' just sad that I have to tell my daughter that she can talk about somehing that she is really interested in with her friends at school because of some one else's views.
The worst part is they instantly go to the suspension card. Not even considering the option to sit her down and have a talk. While I'm sure I wouldn't want school staff telling my child guns are bad, it still shows that they don't even consider that not listening to the children is how some end up bad.

That is crazy...

They suspended a teacher for opening a class debate on the politics and motivations surrounding the "walkout".

This violates the First Amendment. It also has a detrimental affect on students who won't learn that exercising their right to debate in a public forum is acceptable.

We are moving so far left we are about to topple over.

Homeschool thru middle school. Public middle school is atrocious.

However, my wife is incredible and we were a single income family at the time with me making massive overtime so it worked out.

Best of luck either way.

That sucks, but it is the world we live in and we need to deal with it the way that is best for our kids.
Remember the kid that bit his Pop Tart in the shape of a gun and got slammed for it?
You can fight it through the system, or file a law suit if you can afford it. Other than that, we need to suck it up sometimes if it is in our kids best interest. They matter more that we do. Home schooling is good if they are not learning at school, but the downside to it is the loss of social skills, and that can be a huge loss down the road.
Sorry this happened to your daughter. :(

I'm just glad my boys got out and my Mom home schooled them before every thing went full stupid! I would absolutely hate being a parent these days, I'm bad enough as it is with people taking away my 1st, or having the balls to tell me how it is, or how it should be if they were in charge! I would get locked up for a Very Long Time if I had to deal with this krap you folks are having to!:eek:

Take your kid to the range on suspension day, then appeal the suspension.
I like it, simple, and you get to stick it to the school:D
Even better, take pictures of your fun day and share with the principle, explain how your little one now has a much better understanding of her 1st and 2nd rights, and thank them for the opertunity this gave you to teach her the truth instead of the schools lies!:D

. Home schooling is good if they are not learning at school, but the downside to it is the loss of social skills, and that can be a huge loss down the road.

Total misconception and based on how much the parents make an effort to socialize the child. Kinda like dogs - you get out of it what you put into it.

My daughter lettered in academics in highschool multiple times. She swam, ran track, cross county, tennis and had an avid social life while finishing an advanced program that less then 20 finished from the 240 that started their freshman year.

She is now in her 3 year of college to become a nerologist, volunteers at 3 places weekly, has a fine young man as a BF as well as more friends then I have.

She was homeschooled from 2nd grade till 8th.

Having said that, there are parents that homeschool but basically let their kids do what they want in the backyard all year round. Those kids aren't being socialized.

Point was that there are good and bad but a direct correlation does not exist between being homeschooled and how socialized a child is.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews