JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
My most accurate load for my 20" bull barreled AR is 26gr of Varget with a Sierra 69 gr matchking.

I settled on 25.5g varget loaded to 1.880" to the ogive with a mild crimp. 26g was too overpressured for me. That was out of a 24" barrel but I just discovered the load works amazing out of my new 18" rainier barrel

I think I like reloading as much or more than shooting.
Question.
How many of you guys place your bullet so the overall length of the load is right at max?
Is this bad? Should I shove it down the case further towards the minimum?

It depends on what you mean by max OAL. every bullet manufacturer has a max oal for their specific bullet in a chambering. I think you are safe with that, but, you cant exchange Barnes cartridge oal for hornady. then there is loading for your rifles max OAl. which is another can of worms.

I stopped the practice of loading to each rifles max OAL when I realized I had made a bunch of custom ammo that I couldn't, or wouldn't run in ANY other gun I owned of the same caliber.

I think I like reloading as much or more than shooting.
Question.
How many of you guys place your bullet so the overall length of the load is right at max?
Is this bad? Should I shove it down the case further towards the minimum?

AR .223 gets loaded to 2.255 (max mag length -.005)

All other rifle loads get custom tailored to their respective rifles. It all depends on what your goal is though. If you just want something that goes bang then you can create one load that will work in multiple guns. If you want accuracy then you will have to tailor each load separately.

I start off my loads at .020 off the lands

I start off my loads at .020 off the lands

If I were to do that with my factory Remington I'd have a bunch of loose bullets in my bag. For some reason Remington decided to put almost a quarter of an inch of freebore in this rifle. Shoots great at magazine length though (2.800"). I have to go over 3.00" to "jam". Try that with a 168 gr BT bullet measuring 1.18" with a BT measurement of .160", in a case that measures 2.005". Just think, a whole .025" to hold the bullet. :cool:

One needs to be real careful on how deep to chamfer I guess;)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top