JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
We used to rake the pine needles under the trees to find them. 20 years ago they paid $120lb for #1's. The veil underneath has to be complete. You can smell them before you see them. They smell really good.
I found several of what I THINK might be Matsutake in the coast rang Friday. But seeing as they are a member of Tricholoma, which has certain characteristics that these mushrooms have, I wouldn't try them without a positive ID. And, I have no sense of smell or taste. So there's that!
We had four experienced pickers die outside of Estacada about ten years ago. Every year they warn us when buying permits. You can gather for free. If you pick them to sell, you are required to buy a permit and keep an identification book with you. Never touch it if you don't know what it is.
I always tell people, if you never eat a mushroom that's pure white, with white gills, you'll never die from eating a Destroying Angel or Death Cap.

I found several of what I THINK might be Matsutake in the coast rang Friday. But seeing as they are a member of Tricholoma, which has certain characteristics that these mushrooms have, I wouldn't try them without a positive ID. And, I have no sense of smell or taste. So there's that!

I always tell people, if you never eat a mushroom that's pure white, with white gills, you'll never die from eating a Destroying Angel or Death Cap.
I've never picked them, but I used to know an old Japanese woman that did.
She would bring me some and they looked like the #1 grade that you'll see at the end of the video.
I think I like them better than Chantrelle mushrooms.

I've never picked them, but I used to know an old Japanese woman that did.
She would bring me some and they looked like the #1 grade that you'll see at the end of the video.
I think I like them better than Chantrelle mushrooms.
That's the same vid I watched! These had a distinct smell to them that wifey could smell, but not describe. MY nose sensed something, but totally indescribable. I should have consulted my Audubon Guide to North American Mushroom book. That book gives a list of look-alikes with everything. I'm still not likely to try these, seeing as I can't taste them anyway. On our foray Friday there were a lot of fungus flushing. Ended up with only six large, prime, chanterelles. I gave them to a gal I know that cherishes them.

I am in the Coast Range right now in a deer blind. After all the recent rain there is an absolute mushroom explosion happening as I write. But I cannot identify a single one.

I am in the Coast Range right now in a deer blind. After all the recent rain there is an absolute mushroom explosion happening as I write. But I cannot identify a single one.
I think there's a drone up there taking pictures.
9f4346dc59c28667cff9cb621c028b71.jpg

That is a very interesting mushroom, the
Amanita Muscaria. Very closely related to the Death cap. Some folks say that they are not toxic, some folks say they are. But what is for sure is that they have high cultural significance in multiple cultures in norther lattitudes across the globe, and have been used for thousands of years.

Some believe the feared Viking "Berserkers" ate these before battle. Which is literally where the phrase "going berserk" came from. Most is oral history so this may or may not be the case.

Most non-chtistian christmas traditions come from this mushroom and the pagans who looked for it the north (Scandinavia). The colors red and green, presents under the tree, stockings by the fire, Reighdeer (Sami people smoke/ed it while hearding Reighdeer), Santa, his outfit, comind down the chimney, rosey cheeks, a big bag, it all comes back to traditions in the north surrounding harvest, preperation, and use of Amanita Myscaria. Have a look online, its pretty interesting stuff.

Last Edited:
The Nike campus used to have some of the biggest amanitas I've ever seen until they cut down the sequoia grove to put in a parking structure.
Wayno, I was in the woods above Beaver on Sunday.
Zero blacktail signs, fair amount of bear scat more than a few days old.
Wasn't even looking and picked up a lb of chanterelles for my bro.
Also came across boletes (I think?)
Russula atropurpurea
The ones I wasn't confident on were the psilocybin cubensis. Bri likes the p.cube. so I brought them and the chants. He said the chants were delicious.

I have mitsutakes grow in my yard, they have a symbiotic relationship with one rose bush and the oak + Camelia leaves that blanket it's base.. You can smell them well before they erupt.
I harvested three once, wife lost her shizzle when I started to prepare them. "You trying to kill me?!!". Without missing a beat, I flatly retorted, "no - that was last Wednesday "

IMG_20231022_120058081.jpg IMG_20231022_120053314.jpg IMG_20231022_115745203.jpg IMG_20231022_114216348.jpg

Last Edited:
Some believe the feared Viking "Berserkers" ate these before battle. Which is literally where the phrase "going berserk" came from. Most is oral history so this may or may not be the case.
I love it! "Viking Berserker's"! :s0069: There was a time when I was going to try a little Amanita Muscaria. The Bareview Jetty campground was flushed with them one year when I was down there to fish the bay. My info was also that it had been used for gittin' HIGH by the ancients. Better judgement held.

The Nike campus used to have some of the biggest amanitas I've ever seen until they cut down the sequoia grove to put in a parking structure.
Wayno, I was in the woods above Beaver on Sunday.
Zero blacktail signs, fair amount of bear scat more than a few days old.
Wasn't even looking and picked up a lb of chanterelles for my bro.
Also came across boletes (I think?)
Russula atropurpurea
The ones I wasn't confident on were the psilocybin cubensis. Bri likes the p.cube. so I brought them and the chants. He said the chants were delicious.

I have mitsutakes grow in my yard, they have a symbiotic relationship with one rose bush and the oak + Camelia leaves that blanket it's base.. You can smell them well before they erupt.
I harvested three once, wife lost her shizzle when I started to prepare them. "You trying to kill me?!!". Without missing a beat, I flatly retorted, "no - that was last Wednesday "

View attachment 1747392 View attachment 1747393 View attachment 1747394 View attachment 1747395
First two pics look to be "Slippery Jack" or "Western Painted Suillus". Nah, close up of cap says Slippery Jack. And the far right pic is "Sulfur Tuft". The Slippery Jack is edible, though we've never tried it. The majority of Suillus and Boletus are edible. Though they tend to get fly lava early. And the sulfur tuft will make you sick.
We never bothered trying any Russula. Too many variants to mess with.

I love it! "Viking Berserker's"! :s0069: There was a time when I was going to try a little Amanita Muscaria. The Bareview Jetty campground was flushed with them one year when I was down there to fish the bay. My info was also that it had been used for gittin' HIGH by the ancients. Better judgement held.

First two pics look to be "Slippery Jack" or "Western Painted Suillus". Nah, close up of cap says Slippery Jack. And the far right pic is "Sulfur Tuft". The Slippery Jack is edible, though we've never tried it. The majority of Suillus and Boletus are edible. Though they tend to get fly lava early. And the sulfur tuft will make you sick.
We never bothered trying any Russula. Too many variants to mess with.

Fungi are truely fascinating. In my opinion, with my current understanding, they likely hold the single greatest potential use in the healthcare field, and for use in outer space. They just need to be de-stigmatized and studied more. I have an old friend from school whos full-time job is tromping around islands in the pacific near Asia looking for, and logging locations and details about unknown species of fungi.

Personally, I never have tried any wild fungi, but we live in one of the best places on the world to hunt and learn about them. Much respect for the little decomposers! I saw one this summer that I have never seen before, or heard of. I was at a long abandoned cattle ranch under a ponserosa pine. Mushroom was about a foot tall, and had a very similar texture/color to the bark on the pine. Harder than most mushrooms too. No camera or drawing stuff so I left it there.

Fungi are truely fascinating. In my opinion, with my current understanding, they likely hold the single greatest potential use in the healthcare field, and for use in outer space. They just need to be de-stigmatized and studied more. I have an old friend from school whos full-time job is tromping around islands in the pacific near Asia looking for, and logging locations and details about unknown species of fungi.

Personally, I never have tried any wild fungi, but we live in one of the best places on the world to hunt and learn about them. Much respect for the little decomposers! I saw one this summer that I have never seen before, or heard of. I was at a long abandoned cattle ranch under a ponserosa pine. Mushroom was about a foot tall, and had a very similar texture/color to the bark on the pine. Harder than most mushrooms too. No camera or drawing stuff so I left it there.
My Old Dad started my interest in fugus. He was crazy for the things. And we lived in Utah! About all we had in/around the Salt Lake Valley were Pleurotus because of all the cottonwoods. And a couple giant Puff Ball we found high in the mountains about the valley. And going to other states like Or, Wa. He used to bottle the Pleurotus!

The first mushroom I ever picked and ate (with guidance) was what we called a "Red Top".
It was in the NE and they were boletes.
Red tops and yellow sponge gills...easy I.D.
Hortiboletus%20rubellus%20%23%20Steve%20Trudell.jpg

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top