JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I found this red top in different spot.

20231014_094419.jpg

20231014_094416.jpg

I'm not Mike - but that looks a lot like a dognose mushroom.
Never heard of a dog nose mushroom?
I found this red top in different spot.

View attachment 1740857

View attachment 1740858
That's a Russula if I ever saw one. Some are edible, some are not. Probably because they taste like bubblegum. probably wouldn't kill you. Might make you wish so for awhile.
FYI. A variant of Russula is what is inside the Lobster Mushroom fungus. Mmmm good!
Looks like a Slippery Jack. If it has spongy looking pores it's definitely a type of bolete.
I'll say doubtful. Unless! It has the pores you mention and a yelling stem. From what little I see I'd think, more likely, Russula also. Just saw a bunch of those slippery Jacks last week on a trip for chanterelles.

You're talking the Matsutake? Only ever found ONE. Good shape, didn't tast anything special about it. Id just as soon have a bunch of shaggy Mane! Or Meadow Mushrooms/Pink Bottom.
Wash it off, cut into thick slices, roast them over a grille or griddle (kinda like you'd warm up a tortilla but let them sit for a second).
Use Soy Sauce for a dip.
They're really good that way.

I get the feeling "someone" wasn't always the responsible, circumspect, and level-headed individual in his younger days…..

:s0108:
Well its been said that experience is the best teacher...
And to answer Jimi Hendrix's question....Yes , I am experienced...:D

In all seriousness....
Learning from your experiences ...and accepting the consequences from the same...as well as consistently striving to be a better person...help make me who I am.
Andy

Never heard of a dog nose mushroom?

That's a Russula if I ever saw one. Some are edible, some are not. Probably because they taste like bubblegum. probably wouldn't kill you. Might make you wish so for awhile.
FYI. A variant of Russula is what is inside the Lobster Mushroom fungus. Mmmm good!

I'll say doubtful. Unless! It has the pores you mention and a yelling stem. From what little I see I'd think, more likely, Russula also. Just saw a bunch of those slippery Jacks last week on a trip for chanterelles.
Sorry, Mike. I was making a lame joke about the dog's nose in the picture.

Without having a better look at that 'shroom, I have no idea what kind it is.

IMG_0263.jpeg

You're talking the Matsutake? Only ever found ONE. Good shape, didn't tast anything special about it. Id just as soon have a bunch of shaggy Mane! Or Meadow Mushrooms/Pink Bottom.

Chanterelles and Hedgehogs are super common and tasty.

Never picked Matsutake but they are supposed to have a symbiotic association with Doug fir, Ponderosa and oak.
And they often don't show much....just a "bump" in the natural mulch sometimes.
We used to rake the pine needles under the trees to find them. 20 years ago they paid $120lb for #1's. The veil underneath has to be complete. You can smell them before you see them. They smell really good.

Guy I HOPE you are not asking that here in regards to mushrooms that are safe to eat? I often discourage people about asking for specific load data on the net. As in anyone can say anything so be careful. Every year seems some die from going hunting for the edible ones and get a poison one by mistake. So if you are just curious, great. If you are looking for ones to eat? I would make damn sure you are getting REALLY good info and know what you are looking for.
We had four experienced pickers die outside of Estacada about ten years ago. Every year they warn us when buying permits. You can gather for free. If you pick them to sell, you are required to buy a permit and keep an identification book with you. Never touch it if you don't know what it is.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top