JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
@Mikej can you identify this mushroom?
mushroom.JPG

Dont trust internet experts ids. But... pics of gills, stem, where its growing, side pics etc all help. Just an overhead view of the cap isnt generally enough to go on for a good id.

View attachment 687884

Guy I HOPE you are not asking that here in regards to mushrooms that are safe to eat? I often discourage people about asking for specific load data on the net. As in anyone can say anything so be careful. Every year seems some die from going hunting for the edible ones and get a poison one by mistake. So if you are just curious, great. If you are looking for ones to eat? I would make damn sure you are getting REALLY good info and know what you are looking for.

Looks like a portabella (Agaricus bisporus) but without more pictures and what it was growing in, can't say for sure

And if you are wrong:

This mushroom is commonly found worldwide in fields and grassy areas following rain, from late spring through to autumn, especially in association with manure. In many parts of the world it is widely collected and eaten; however, resemblance to deadly or poisonous lookalikes (see below) should be noted.

Lookalike species
The common mushroom could be confused with young specimens of the deadly poisonous destroying angel (Amanita sp.), but the latter may be distinguished by their volva or cup at the base of the mushroom and pure white gills (as opposed to pinkish or brown of A. bisporus). Thus it is always important to clear away debris and examine the base of such similar mushrooms, as well as cutting open young specimens to check the gills. Furthermore, the destroying angel grows in mossy woods and lives symbiotically with spruce.

A more common and less dangerous mistake is to confuse A. bisporus with Agaricus xanthodermus, an inedible mushroom found worldwide in grassy areas. A. xanthodermus has an odor reminiscent of phenol; its flesh turns yellow when bruised. This fungus causes nausea and vomiting in some people.

View attachment 687884

As mentioned, not seeing the gills (pores?) , makes it difficult to ID. I'd want to say maybe a "Russula" variety. If it had pores rather than gills it would be a "Boletes" or "Suillus". There are many varieties of each.

And as mentioned above you need to make sure of what you have before you eat anything. I've been a micophile for close to 50 years. There are varieties that are very easy to ID and very safe. I tend to stay with those types. I have tried a lot of different types of fungi. A lot of them are not worth the trouble, taste, cant find enough of them to make a meal, etc. There are very few mushrooms varieties in the Northwest that will kill you outright. There are however a bunch that might make a healthy person wish they were dead for a few days. I've never run into one of those kinds. I have several books, but use this one mainly. National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Mushrooms by National Audubon Society: 9780394519920 | PenguinRandomHouse.com: Books

It's important to pay special attention to the "Lookalikes" of any mushrooms your thinking of eating.

Looks like a portabella (Agaricus bisporus) but without more pictures and what it was growing in, can't say for sure

And if you are wrong:

This mushroom is commonly found worldwide in fields and grassy areas following rain, from late spring through to autumn, especially in association with manure. In many parts of the world it is widely collected and eaten; however, resemblance to deadly or poisonous lookalikes (see below) should be noted.

Lookalike species
The common mushroom could be confused with young specimens of the deadly poisonous destroying angel (Amanita sp.), but the latter may be distinguished by their volva or cup at the base of the mushroom and pure white gills (as opposed to pinkish or brown of A. bisporus). Thus it is always important to clear away debris and examine the base of such similar mushrooms, as well as cutting open young specimens to check the gills. Furthermore, the destroying angel grows in mossy woods and lives symbiotically with spruce.

A more common and less dangerous mistake is to confuse A. bisporus with Agaricus xanthodermus, an inedible mushroom found worldwide in grassy areas. A. xanthodermus has an odor reminiscent of phenol; its flesh turns yellow when bruised. This fungus causes nausea and vomiting in some people.

And simple lessons to be taken from the above?

Never eat a white mushroom with white gills and you'll never die from eating a "Destroying Angel or "Death Cap".

At least that how I roll when I forage. :D I've harvested "Pink Bottom" mushrooms Agaricus campestris - Wikipedia from the same lawn growing Death Caps. Pink gills=good ( in this case) White gills= dead (or at the very least really messed up)

Thanks Mikej and all. The cautionary messages are appreciated. I'm not a mushroom hunter, but know Mikej is and asked out of curiosity. I wish I had better pictures.

Some good learning references here. Thanks again.

Something else real important here. Wild mushrooms that are deemed safe to eat can still affect some people in a negative way. When trying different varieties of wild mushrooms for the first time it's wise to cook (Very important. Wild mushrooms should be cooked before eating) just a small amount, maybe a tablespoon full, to eat. Wait to see if you have any gastric upset. Also I've read that eating LARGE quantities of wild mushrooms is not recommended.

Thanks Mikej and all. The cautionary messages are appreciated. I'm not a mushroom hunter, but know Mikej is and asked out of curiosity. I wish I had better pictures.

Some good learning references here. Thanks again.

You being a hunter? Mushroom hunting goes with that like mustard on hot dogs! :D

This is one thing I am extremely ignorant of and I love mushrooms. My Ignorance keeps me from hunting mushrooms due to fear and picking a bad one thinking its a good one.

Get a book. "All the Rain Promises" is reportedly a very good book and has local NW info. And then the Audubon book I use has North America covered. Chanterelles and Boletus are two that are easy to ID and not easy to mistake for poisonous varieties. I mean, as long as you pay close attention to what your gathering. And both are plentiful on this side of Oregon.

Chanterelles and Boletus are two that are easy to ID and not easy to mistake for poisonous varieties. I mean, as long as you pay close attention to what your gathering. And both are plentiful on this side of Oregon.
That's the ticket right there.
I have a buddy that gathers 'rooms and he told the same thing.

All the rain promises and more is awesome. The Oregon mycological society is great, anyone can join for like 30$ for a family, they do outings with experts all the time for ID and forage. The recent film Fantastic Fungi is worth a watch also. We have an amazing myco culture here!

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top