JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Tired of having to reset my .223/5.56 seating die every time I load 20-50 rounds.....
I load 55 grain Z-max, 64 grain Nosler, 62 grain military, etc. Z-max non crimped, 62 and 64 grain crimped..

Think I'll buy a seating die for each and mark them properly so it's "set it and forget it".

Anyone else or am I all alone again :s0110:

Well, that's interesting.

I have different dies for .38 and .357 because I'm too lazy to reset the seating depth and crimp level.

You aren't alone. If I loaded different pills I'd do the same.
You biggest gain is that damn crimp that is if you use the seating die to crimp. BUT, if you ran the rounds through a Lee FCD you wouldn't need to change anything but run the seating depth up and down. Two dies, same result. Just dial it up or down depending on round.

:)

I just make up dummy rounds for each bullet seated to the depth I want and keep them in my die box. It is cheaper than buying a seating die for each bullet I use. When I want to seat a different bullet, I just put the dummy round in the shell holder, run the ram up on the press and screw the seating die down until it makes proper contact with the dummy round.

But if you want an excuse to spend more money, go ahead and buy more seating dies.:)

Setting a die for every different bullet started making sense to me long ago.
Set it and forget it.
I would rather spend my time I never have enough of making ammo instead of adjusting dies.
Maybe it's just me but I could never get it ba c k to where it was on the first one.

How many disparate bullets are there for .224? A thousand? I wonder how many are so "lazy" yet weigh each powder charge.. for no reason whatsoever.

I have 13 rifles in 30-06 alone, all take a different seating depth! I make up a dummy round and use it to adjust the seating die like Greenburg stated.
I can adjust the seating die in about a minute. But then again I use Vickerman seating dies.
I will admit rcbs dies take a couple minutes to adjust, they need to have a finer thread!

I do have a dummy rounds but they're all close enough and far enough away that the crimping portion of the equation always worries me as the RCBS die crimps based on travel with seating die also..... 'Thanks for All the insight..

I've only used one bullet type, in .223 so far. However, I have used many bullet types is 30-30. I just turn the seating stem up before starting, and slowly dial it down. But, I don't crimp with the seating die. I use a FCD.

GOOD NEWS!!!!! There is an old tried and true solution to your problem--cheaper, too. It is a micrometer adjustable seating die--made by most of the major die makers-- I like the Forster and/or the Redding versions. One die multiple settings a pencil and paper and you're all set. And---if you already use a standard Redding seater, you can buy a micrometer type stem to replace the stock one--Hornady used to sell one too, but it was too tall to use with my Co-ax press.

Since if was brought up then, if not crimping can/do you increase powder charge to get same pressure as I'm assuming uncrimped pressures are decreased with same charge behind it...

Another day of testing with chrono on velocity maybe now.

I have two sets of 9mm dies, and am considering a third just so I don't have adjust the flare going between jacketed & plated / lead.

Having 13 06s makes more sense!

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top