JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I figure its safe to say one can develop a handload that works in multiple rifles (factory ammo does this...) but I'm not certain the best way to go about it?

A revival of sorts around here turned a pile of spare parts back into another rifle, now I have two, virtually identical caliber rifles. Ones a 556 the other is a 223 Wylde. Are there any tips to simultaneously developing one load for the Wylde rifle thats acceptable in another? What would be a realistic accuracy difference in the other?

We developed a load that was reasonably accurate in 7 different AR's, including 1 in 7", 8", and 9 inch twist with barrel lengths from 12" to 24". Of course, the 62 gr Hornady Boat Tail Hollow Point bullet we used is not currently in production by Hornady. :mad:
I have a quantity loaded, and perhaps a thousand bullets still on hand and plenty of Ramshot TAC, but I wish I had purchased more of those bullets from MidSouth while they were still offered.

Of course, the 62 gr Hornady Boat Tail Hollow Point bullet we used is not currently in production by Hornady. :mad:
whats funny is thats one of the reasons I got into handloading is Id find a brand of factory ammo that was accurate then could never find it in stock again.

My initial idea was to run the same ladder test in both rifles, but thats twice the bullets and precious primers.

Maybe my method should be to run the ladder test in the Wylde chamber since the 556 chamber will have a slightly longer leade it should have less pressure....? IOW any load thats safe in the Wylde should be safe in the 556? ....then see what accuracy the 556 gets and hopefully similar.

I eventually just picked an easy to remember COAL to load all 223/556 too. This way it fits in any magazines and in any rifle. 2.250". I stopped trying to load by length for each rifle. This means that if I find a load for another gun that it likes, I can shoot it in any of them.

There are still many variables to mess with to try and make it more rifle specific.

This way it fits in any magazines and in any rifle. 2.250".
I think thats a great idea.
I dont mind playing with seating depth (below max for ARs) but its really unlikely it would work for both rifles. If i cant get a good group I might adjust depth in favor of the Wylde chamber, the 556 is just my spare parts build but still a pretty good shooter.

I think it depends what level of precision you want. 1/4 MOA repeatably? Probably not. 1 MOA? doable. 2 MOA? you'd better be able to achieve that

I think it depends what level of precision you want. 1/4 MOA repeatably? Probably not. 1 MOA? doable. 2 MOA? you'd better be able to achieve that
We will see. My experience with handloading has been a slow crawl follwed closely by Murphy's law....

For everything under 77 grain, load mag length. Size brass 0.002" under the shortest chamber. Twist rate will limit bullet weight. Just use a known good load from service rifle and skip accuracy testing. Only do function testing. If it does not produce an acceptable group, get a better barrel.

It is a waste of time and money to develop loads with non-match bullets in 223/5.56. There is a ton of good loads from the service rifle world with match bullets from 52-90gr. So it becomes a waste to develop even match loads unless you are shooting bench rest or F-class.

A guy did a statistical test of rifle accuracy and shooter skill for service rifle shooters on the 600 yard target. An improvement in rifle accuracy from 2moa to 1moa only help improve scores for the most skilled shooters. A rifle accuracy improvement from 1 moa to 3/4 moa had no improvement in score for any shooters.

For everything under 77 grain, load mag length. Size brass 0.002" under the shortest chamber. Twist rate will limit bullet weight. Just use a known good load from service rifle and skip accuracy testing. Only do function testing. If it does not produce an acceptable group, get a better barrel.

It is a waste of time and money to develop loads with non-match bullets in 223/5.56. There is a ton of good loads from the service rifle world with match bullets from 52-90gr. So it becomes a waste to develop even match loads unless you are shooting bench rest or F-class.

A guy did a statistical test of rifle accuracy and shooter skill for service rifle shooters on the 600 yard target. An improvement in rifle accuracy from 2moa to 1moa only help improve scores for the most skilled shooters. A rifle accuracy improvement from 1 moa to 3/4 moa had no improvement in score for any shooters.
While that is probably an accurate assessment, I think knowing I have very accurate ammo helps me shoot better. Probably cause I know I can't blame it on the ammo if I shoot a poor group. 😳

My caliber is 223 Rem. Im going to favor my 223Wylde rifle. If the 556 rifle doesnt shoot it well then im ok with that im just curious if its possible..
Everything Im doing is for a hunting goal, using a 60g Hammer bullet for this project so im stuck with the compone ts I have. Im going to try CFE and see what happens.

I'd probably go low brow: load for the Wylde chamber, find the best load for that, then try that one in the other rifle.

I'd probably go low brow: load for the Wylde chamber, find the best load for that, then try that one in the other rifle.
one of the questions I have about this is how to make a load for one rifle safe to shoot in another?

The 5.56 chamber has a longer throat so it will not build as much pressure as the Wylde chamber when shooting the same load. Test the load in the Wylde chamber and it will be safe in the 5.56 chamber.

one of the questions I have about this is how to make a load for one rifle safe to shoot in another?
I've owned several 30-06 rifles. After doing the whole load development thing for one of them and eventually settling for what amounts to a factory duplication load, I found that it works acceptably in any gun.
In my opinion the keys are; Don't push the velocity limits, don't chase the lands and do full length size all cases.

In the instance of the two slightly different chambers of the OP's guns, I agree with @Pepe-lepew . Test in the Wylde and shoot out of both.

In the instance of the two slightly different chambers of the OP's guns, I agree with @Pepe-lepew . Test in the Wylde and shoot out of both.
Agree, this is what Ive decided to do. Develop it for the Wylde (which is the nicer rifle) then take that recipe and back up a grain and work up in .3g increments to the recipe in the 556 rifle stopping at the recipe charge weight. Just one shot testing for pressure. If I see no pressure signs then I will shoot for groups with the recipe out of the 556 and see what happens. If they group the same or reasonably close its done. If not then I will work up its own recipe.
Side story the idea is the 556 will be a backup/camping rifle for my scouting trips in the off season and deer camp in the on season, with a capable deer round. The Wylde rifle has filled that role but its a nicer rifle I dont leave (hidden) in unattended vehicles in the woods where the 556 is a spare parts build with less attachment (at least for now... :) ) can stay in deer camp.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top