JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Adding some notes here (yes I bookmark my reloading posts to reference later, learn a lot here from you all)

Measuring some cases tonight I discovered something that pepe-lepew mentioned above that went over my head at the time.... size my case for the shortest chamber. Ive always assumed 223 chambers were the same as 556 chambers (except the throat) but forgot that the "as produced" sizes can be different. The distinction here is developing a load for "multiple rifles" vs specifically only my two rifles....
So I measured some fireformed cases from my 556 and the case headspace is .004" shorter than my 223 Wylde chambers case headspace. If I add .003" to that to cycle in my 556 chamber I will have .007" case expansion in the Wylde chamber.

If the idea is to develope the load in the chamber that gives the most pressure, My question is will this affect which rifle (chamber) I should favor for load development? What produces higher pressure, a shorter throat (wylde) or smaller chamber (556)?

If the idea is to develope the load in the chamber that gives the most pressure, My question is will this affect which rifle (chamber) I should favor for load development? What produces higher pressure, a shorter throat (wylde) or smaller chamber (556)?
After sleeping on it I think I had this wrong. I need to size the case to fit the smallest chamber and develop the load in the chamber rated for the lowest pressure (223).

one of the questions I have about this is how to make a load for one rifle safe to shoot in another?
This is pretty easy. Pick a published load that appears in several sources of load data. If both of your rifles are in safe condition, these loads will be safe to shoot in them! It's only when you are loading out to the ragged edge that minor differences in the rifles or chambers could push your load into unsafe territory. I have very rarely found a load on the ragged edge of safe pressure to be my most accurate load. Good Luck DR

I have a standard load for my rifles chambered in .308 / 7.62mm NATO. It's based on the lowest common denominator, that is, an M1 Rifle with .308 Win. bbl. The load also works well in my old Win. Model 70. I have two standard loads, one for 150 gr. bullet and another for 165 / 168 gr. bullet. I used to have an Armalite AR10 and some SAI M1A's that worked well with my standard loads but I've spun those guns off.

I am not fully standardized on my .223 / 5.56mm's. Because of bbl. twist. Three are 1 - 12, one is 1-9 and one is 1-7.

I am not fully standardized on my .223 / 5.56mm's. Because of bbl. twist. Three are 1 - 12, one is 1-9 and one is 1-7.
Both of mine are 7 twist so I think it should work out. One is a 16in the other is an 18in barrel.
I spent my snowed in days handloading initial ladders with the new bullet with 2 different powders to see if one powder is better or faster. Currently my gun club is closed due to snow, the woods are also snowed in and the weather looks like more snow all next week so it might be a few weeks to hit the range on a weekend.

the woods are also snowed in and the weather looks like more snow all next week so it might be a few weeks to hit the range on a weekend.
Same sitch here. I tried one time and one time only to drive out those winding, sometimes steep fire and logging roads that were shaded and covered in snow.

Today, we've got snow down to the Sound. If I've been dusted here, I know it's probably a lot worse up in the hills. Some of those little dips and hollows are just now starting to get a few rays of sunlight. If a person thinking about using a chrono, it may or may not work out.

Both of mine are 7 twist so I think it should work out.
My .223's that are 1-12 of course prefer the bullets up to 60 gr. Another factor is ogive design. Because the throat of typical .223 vs. 5.56mm bores is different, the commercial 1-12's I have do not like FMJ, military-type bullets. I used to have .222 Rems. neither would the shoot a FMJ worth beans. The 1-9 I have will shoot just about any bullet weight reasonably. The 1-7 I have some 77 and 80 grain loads that are reserved just for it. These details fairly preclude any ideas of standardization as I've done with .308 / 7.62mm NATO.

Same sitch here. I tried one time and one time only to drive out those winding, sometimes steep fire and logging roads that were shaded and covered in snow.

Today, we've got snow down to the Sound. If I've been dusted here, I know it's probably a lot worse up in the hills. Some of those little dips and hollows are just now starting to get a few rays of sunlight. If a person thinking about using a chrono, it may or may not work out.
Ive actually been getting better at using my optical chrono but what a frustrating learning curve it had. I prefer the optical to my Magnetospeed because I can shoot for groups at the same time. Id rather shoot in the woods because I will probably never use an optical chrono at a gun club range anymore, they are just too finicky to set up with others around. I get twice as much "work" done shooting alone in the woods than at my club, but Ive also had some people harass me too...

My .223's that are 1-12 of course prefer the bullets up to 60 gr. Another factor is ogive design. Because the throat of typical .223 vs. 5.56mm bores is different, the commercial 1-12's I have do not like FMJ, military-type bullets. I used to have .222 Rems. neither would the shoot a FMJ worth beans. The 1-9 I have will shoot just about any bullet weight reasonably. The 1-7 I have some 77 and 80 grain loads that are reserved just for it. These details fairly preclude any ideas of standardization as I've done with .308 / 7.62mm NATO.
The load im working on is a hunting round, Im starting with a 60g bullet. Id really prefer to try a slightly heavier grain bullet but those are longer and protrude deeper into the case in order to fit any standard AR magazine. I think at some point I will try a longer one but wasnt certain at the time I ordered the 60 grainers if the longer ones were only for bolt rifles but I think now some AR hunters are able to load them to fit magazines.
Anyways, Im starting with the 60g since I ordered 100 of them and they were expensive.

Ive actually been getting better at using my optical chrono but what a frustrating learning curve it had. I prefer the optical to my Magnetospeed because I can shoot for groups at the same time. Id rather shoot in the woods because I will probably never use an optical chrono at a gun club range anymore, they are just too finicky to set up with others around. I get twice as much "work" done shooting alone in the woods than at my club, but Ive also had some people harass me too...
Why can't you shoot groups with magnetospeed? I find it changes groups poi slightly but it has little no affect on group size.

Why can't you shoot groups with magnetospeed? I find it changes groups poi slightly but it has little no affect on group size.
Maybe it depends on the rifle, bull barrel vs thin, caliber, tapered barrel etc.
All I know is if you attach anything to the barrel its going to affect its harmonics. I havent done any kind of testing, I just take it for granted not to use the Magnetospeed when shooting for groups.

Key is to keep it tight on barrel so it is not moving around and affecting the harmonics differently shot to shot. I have shot some of the best groups I have ever shot with a magnetospeed attached.

Key is to keep it tight on barrel so it is not moving around and affecting the harmonics differently shot to shot. I have shot some of the best groups I have ever shot with a magnetospeed attached.
Its possible, i just havent checked if I could. On my elk rifle it walks forward no matter how tight I clamp it. I think the barrel still has a slight taper on the end.

if mine has a taper is very slight, but a 280AI does have a good kick to it. I still dont see how a bayonett attached with a nylon strap doesnt wobble any which way but I think with a lower caliber rifle maybe its impact isnt noticable. I havent tested this, but dont recall much difference in group size with a load in my AR just that I never got that one to group good even without the MS attached.

Could you imagine having two different AI rifles to think about working up a common load? :D
No thank you... lol. I actually cant wait to be done with load development and get back to hunting. Ive been wanting to get back to practicing distances in the woods too, shooting from practical positions. When I get my 25-06 back from the smith it will be AI improved... then I will have 2 AI rifles. lots of work ahead of me.

I do think it will be useful if I can get a common load for my two ARs. And once I catch up on my bills I plan to finish my 6.5Grendel build and will be working up a load for that.
Im in handloading mode these days, but look forward to scouting, target, and Ive wanted to try to call in some cougars to hunt year round.
Never bored.
Except today. lol.

Id rather shoot in the woods because I will probably never use an optical chrono at a gun club range anymore, they are just too finicky to set up with others around. I get twice as much "work" done shooting alone in the woods than at my club, but Ive also had some people harass me too...
Oh yeah, I quit trying to use a chrono at the range a long time ago.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top