JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/34714389/ns/us_news-life

Record numbers now licensed to pack heat

Firearms deaths fall as millions obtain permits to carry concealed guns

By Mike Stuckey
Senior news editor
msnbc.com
updated 5:43 a.m. PT, Wed., March. 24, 2010

Waving a chromed semiautomatic pistol, the robber pushed into the building in the bustling Five Points neighborhood of Columbia, S.C., just before 11 p.m. on April 11, 2009. “Gimme what you got!” he yelled, his gun hand trembling.
Attorney Jim Corley was one of four people in the room, the lounge area of a 12-step recovery group’s meeting hall. “He said, ‘Give me your wallet,’” Corley recalled. “So I reached around to my back pocket and gave him what was there.”
Unfortunately for the gunman, later identified as Kayson Helms, 18, of Edison, N.J., that was Corley’s tiny Kel-Tec .32, hidden in a wallet holster and loaded with a half-dozen hollow points. Corley fired once into the robber’s abdomen. The young man turned. Corley fired twice more, hitting him in the neck and again in the torso. Helms ran into the night and collapsed to die on a railroad embankment 100 feet away.

Reports filed by officers who arrived at the scene a short time later called it an “exceptionally clear” case of justifiable homicide. Following South Carolina’s “Castle Doctrine,” which allows the use of deadly force in self-defense, police did not arrest Corley. They did not interrogate him. Corley was offered the opportunity to make a voluntary statement, which he did.
Helms’ friends and relatives were left to mourn, barred by the same Castle Doctrine from filing a civil lawsuit.
Jim Corley became an unintentional spokesman for a burgeoning movement of millions of Americans who secretly and legally pack pistols in waistbands, under jackets, strapped to ankles, stashed in purses or — like Corley — tucked in hip pockets.
From its beginnings in the 1980s, the “right-to-carry” movement has succeeded in boosting the number of licensed concealed-gun carriers from fewer than 1 million to a record 6 million today, according to estimates from gun-rights groups that are supported by msnbc.com’s research. And while hotly debated, the effect of this dramatic increase is largely unknown.
Gun enthusiasts claim a link between more private citizens carrying concealed weapons and the nation’s dramatic decrease in violent crime. Gun-control activists argue that concealed-carry permits are being handed out to people who should never get them, sometimes resulting in tragic, needless shootings.
Effect on crime is hotly debated
But even with the push to expand concealed-carry rights now in its third decade, no scientific studies have reached any widely accepted conclusions about the movement’s effect on crime or personal safety.
Statistics from the national Centers for Disease Control do indicate that the murder and mayhem predicted by many opponents of concealed-carry laws have not come to pass. But even that point, while celebrated by gun-rights activists and conceded by some concealed-carry opponents, is disputed by others.
Both sides do agree on one thing: More Americans than ever are carrying hidden guns.
Firearms laws have been growing more relaxed across the United States for years. Gun-control activists have failed in efforts to re-enact the nationwide ban on certain semiautomatic rifles they call “assault weapons.” They were unable to block a change in federal law, signed by President Obama this year, which allows guns to be carried in national parks. And they watched in dismay as the U.S. Supreme Court ruled in June 2008 that the Second Amendment grants residents of Washington, D.C., the right to own and keep loaded handguns in their homes.

Click for related content

Vote: Do concealed gun laws make you feel safe?

“We’ve had a very good run,” said Andrew Arulanandam, chief spokesman for the 4 million-member National Rifle Association, the nation’s largest and most powerful voice for gun rights.
It’s a run that has often been paced by the work of the NRA and its allies on concealed-weapons laws.
View attachment 210044INTERACTIVE
TZ-GunLaws-STD.300w.jpg
Going For Their Guns
See which states offer "shall issue" concealed-weapons permits; "may issue" and "no issue" states also are shown.

In a little more than 20 years, the concealed-carry movement has won changes in scores of laws across the nation to boost from nine to 37 the number of “shall issue” states in which civilians must be given concealed-carry permits, known as CCWs, generally if they are 21 or older, do not have a criminal record and are willing to submit to fingerprinting and a background check. In two more states, Alaska and Vermont, most adults may carry concealed handguns without obtaining permits.
The movement's successes have energized some gun-rights activists to push for laws that further increase their ability to carry weapons, even when those laws trump private property and states’ rights.
The reasons for the push to loosen concealed carry laws are themselves open to debate.
Kristen Rand, legislative director for the Violence Policy Center, a gun-control group, said the movement “has to do with selling more guns.” While it was pushed by groups like the NRA, it also “dovetailed with the gun industry’s desperate need to find a new market.”
“Their efforts at reaching out to minorities and women have failed,” said Rand, whose group advocates banning all handguns and some rifles but believes sporting rifles and shotguns should remain legal. “The industry constantly has to look for a way to make a guy who already owns 15 guns buy a new one.”

the effect of this dramatic increase is largely unknown.

Effect on crime is hotly debated

Not unknown or debated when you've been there several times, drawn down on them and watched the BGs wilt like a leaf on a hot tin roof, and scram, as I have !

The look on their faces was priceless!

Study in the 1990s proved that millions of people yearly ward off criminal attack without even firing a shot! Unknown my @$$ !
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Violence Policy Center.. face it, you've lost.. roll up your carpet bags and get a real job!

oh no.
I think my hear is going to fail me.

MSNBC on a semi pro gun article?
What?

I guess they have lost so many viewers/readers that they have decided to pickup the pro gun people? Naw, that can't happen.

Good article, thank you.

Did you guys read the responses on the poll that was in the article? It's amazing to me how narrow sighted people are. Every single idiot who apposed CCW said "I don't want some red neck, short tempered wacko with a gun next to me". How ignorant can you be? How do they not get that it's a honest, hard working, law abiding citizen that may save their life some day when some reckless thug who gives two sh*ts about legal carry puts a gun to their head asking for money.

I just don't get it. Do they think that outlawing CCW that criminals won't carry with the intent to hurt or kill. Then what? wait for the police to get there 10 minutes later when your brains are splattered on the sidewalk? It scares me how irrational people are.

Study in the 1990s proved that millions of people yearly ward off criminal attack without even firing a shot! Unknown my @$$ !

The funny thing about that study was that Klinton ordered the study be made to try and pass more gun ban – er, excuse me – gun control laws and it totally backfired when they found that firearms are used lawfully over two million times a year to protect life and limb predominantly without any shots even being fired. Didn’t work for his administration but I remember the NRA and other 2A groups jumping all over it. I thought that was funnier than H E double toothpicks. :D

The funny thing about that study was that Klinton ordered the study be made to try and pass more gun ban – er, excuse me – gun control laws and it totally backfired when they found that firearms are used lawfully over two million times a year to protect life and limb predominantly without any shots even being fired. Didn't work for his administration but I remember the NRA and other 2A groups jumping all over it. I thought that was funnier than H E double toothpicks. :D

Which study?

As I recall, Clinton had a gun ban group called NAAV tap a guy named Gary Kleck (a professor at Florida State as I recall but I could be wrong) to do the study. Again, it backfired and was not used by anyone but pro-2A groups.

I will be applying for mine next month as well. I have seen to many crazy things in the last few years to not carry. That and the other business we share a building with has been robbed at gun point twice in the last year, the first time the fella got convicted of attempted murder.

Good article, thank you.

Did you guys read the responses on the poll that was in the article? It's amazing to me how narrow sighted people are. Every single idiot who apposed CCW said "I don't want some red neck, short tempered wacko with a gun next to me". How ignorant can you be? How do they not get that it's a honest, hard working, law abiding citizen that may save their life some day when some reckless thug who gives two sh*ts about legal carry puts a gun to their head asking for money.

I just don't get it. Do they think that outlawing CCW that criminals won't carry with the intent to hurt or kill. Then what? wait for the police to get there 10 minutes later when your brains are splattered on the sidewalk? It scares me how irrational people are.

Good news is that they are now the irrational minority! We are winning!

"Their efforts at reaching out to minorities and women have failed," said Rand, whose group advocates banning all handguns and some rifles but believes sporting rifles and shotguns should remain legal. "The industry constantly has to look for a way to make a guy who already owns 15 guns buy a new one."

Dang ! Dang !!!

The gun industry for constantly looking for a way to make a guy who already owns 15 guns buy a new one."

Please, oh please have mercy !!!!:s0001::eek::s0001:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads