JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
By the time a new resident today gets a CPL issued the benefit of bypassing the waiting period for a handgun will no longer be the case.

Here it is in a nutshell: Today the FFL contacts the NICS, proceed. FFL submits paperwork to County, local PD etc. The NICS proceed serves as an OK to transfer the gun. County, local PD etc again contacts NICS when they run their BG check. NICS doesn't want to have two BG checks just you and I can walk with the gun. So, starting on or around June/July this year, everyone waits for the County, local PD etc.

I started to write down the value of paying for, and having a WA CPL under upcoming circumstances.

1) Lawful concealed carry. That's got value, unlawful conceal carry bad.
2) Allows me to keep OR and AZ CHL, good. In most cases other states will not issue CHL without WA CPL.

WA is going to do whatever they are going to do with respect to issuing CPLs. I'll just have to weigh the cost of doing business with the benefit of the CPL.

Sigh, it's come to this.

I started to write down the value of paying for, and having a WA CPL under upcoming circumstances.

1) Lawful concealed carry. That's got value, unlawful conceal carry bad.
2) Allows me to keep OR and AZ CHL, good. In most cases other states will not issue CHL without WA CPL.

WA is going to do whatever they are going to do with respect to issuing CPLs. I'll just have to weigh the cost of doing business with the benefit of the CPL.

Sigh, it's come to this.

I'll always have one simply because I won't go with out the other. Its that simple in my mind.

I'll always have one simply because I won't go with out the other. Its that simple in my mind.
True now. I think if WA raises the cost or requires basic proficiency requirements, or both, it's still not worth saying goodbye to other state CHLs, at least not for me. If it becomes a circus that's another story.

To me, the "holy grail", was a CPL being a bypass for a NICS check, which the FBI has already approved for WA. I pretty much figured that would be approved by WA right around when California sea lion hunting season on the Willamette was approved. Hey, I can dream :)

I personally also registered my car here, signed a lease, and had an indefinite job here before I was confident that the paperwork would reflect residency even under scrutiny. Everyone's circumstances are different.

I haven't bought a firearm in WA recently, but last time I did I was an Oregon resident and I bought a rifle in Vancouver. The FFL didn't care, it is perfectly legal to do this in most states and by federal law. For a handgun you have to buy in your own state of residence, or have it shipped to an FFL in your state before you can take possession.

When I lived in WA state (about 8 years ago) for 25 years, and in Oregon since then, never had an FFL question my residency when I gave them my driver's license to purchase or transfer a firearm. In the last few years I have been buying about 5-10 firearms per year.

FYI - don't dilly dally about getting your car licensed in WA state. Hefty fine if you don't do it in the time limit. A lot of scofflaws try to not do it because of the cost, and when they get caught they pay a hefty fine plus having to get the car licensed (retroactively for the year IIRC).

It's sad that there is even a discussion taking place about the impingement of your God given rights that will be imposed by a man made State...

Good luck with your move, welcome to Washington, and I sincerely hope that we can turn the tide and offer you something better than a gradual return to the same sorry state of affairs that govern the state you're leaving.

Are you kidding? I'm from California.

Washington and Oregon are in a race with California to see which can get to Tyranny first. Whatever you are leaving behindwill catch hp to you in 1-2 years tops and will likely pass you by shortly thereafter. Not just guns, either, but all kinds of taxation and social programs.

Here is an example of tyranny disguised as a social program - Oregon is fast tracking a law to force the mothers of newborns to allow the "voluntary" inspection of her home by the authorities. If she refuses to cooperate then the inspections will become mandatory. While there, naturally, they will have carte blanche to look at anything they want.

What's that? a gun safe? You don't have anything we banned last year in there, do you? Isn't that much more ammunition than you need for target practice two ties a year? Can you prove that you bought all that befre the 20 round per month limit was passed in 2019? The authorities will be here shortly to confiscate contraband and then either arrest or fine. Don't worry, lady, it's just your husband and this child doesn't need any of his toxic masculinity. Oh, hell, isn't that a,a,a,a, Bible? We can't let a child grow up in a homophobic environment...

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews