JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Howdy,

I currently live in Corvallis, and am considering a move down to Eugene. Other than having to ditch all my Beaver memorabilia in favor of Duck stuff, what can I expect from the Eugene shooting scene?

I know about the politics and "divisions" in town; We've got the same here (they're still doing nightly peace marches in front of the court house). I worked down there briefly some 10 years ago, so know the area a bit.

I'm more interested in hearing about shooting ranges, clubs, and opportunities in the area. I'm a member of a fraternal organization with its own outdoor range now, and if I want to drive 25 miles I can go to the ARPC or to an indoor range in Lebanon; What are my options for facilities in Eugene?

I would probably not move to the city itself, but some outlying area, maybe as far as Junction City. Should I look to a specific geographic area to get better access to ranges?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions you can offer.

-- Sam

Traitor.
If you consider ditching your gear I'll be happy to kick you in the crotch.

Howdy,

I currently live in Corvallis, and am considering a move down to Eugene. Other than having to ditch all my Beaver memorabilia in favor of Duck stuff, what can I expect from the Eugene shooting scene?

I know about the politics and "divisions" in town; We've got the same here (they're still doing nightly peace marches in front of the court house). I worked down there briefly some 10 years ago, so know the area a bit.

I'm more interested in hearing about shooting ranges, clubs, and opportunities in the area. I'm a member of a fraternal organization with its own outdoor range now, and if I want to drive 25 miles I can go to the ARPC or to an indoor range in Lebanon; What are my options for facilities in Eugene?

I would probably not move to the city itself, but some outlying area, maybe as far as Junction City. Should I look to a specific geographic area to get better access to ranges?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions you can offer.

-- Sam

Have a look for the Izaak Walton range facilities.

tac in UK

Trust me, don't do it!! Eugene is the cesspool of Oregon. It's a terrible environment to live in. Everything here is so f'ed up. Of course so is the entire state of Oregon... Hmmm. But if you must, there isn't much Izaak Walton Shooting Club, out toward Veneta (I think), and Baron's Den indoor range. May still be a shooting range outside of Springfield/Marcola too. Not sure that it is still up and running. But seriously, it sucks down here. I'm clawing my way out just to make it out alive!! :s0131:

Trust me, don't do it!! Eugene is the cesspool of Oregon. It's a terrible environment to live in. Everything here is so f'ed up. Of course so is the entire state of Oregon... Hmmm. But if you must, there isn't much Izaak Walton Shooting Club, out toward Veneta (I think), and Baron's Den indoor range. May still be a shooting range outside of Springfield/Marcola too. Not sure that it is still up and running. But seriously, it sucks down here. I'm clawing my way out just to make it out alive!! :s0131:
Thanks for the info. I agree the whole state is f'd up politically, but really, it's going to be like that anywhere. I have a buddy up in Beaverton and he's got a decent range, but its 45 minutes from his house. And I really don't want to move closer to Portland.

What I'd really like to do is buy one of these small farms I see sprinkled throughout the valley, and get as far away from the tech industry as I can. Unfortunately, I need to pay bills, and this usually involves having a job. While I have one here in Corvallis, there's an opportunity in Eugene that is very interesting, and the overall job market is much better there than here.

I was just hoping for some good news re: shooting in that area, which would at least give me another positive reason for the move. Sigh.

-- Sam

I went to OSU and if I was moving to Eugene, I would be sure to remove all bumper stickers or identifying marks from OSU from my car at the least.

My sister spent a year at OSU before transferring to UofO, but didn't think to remove the parking pass sticker from the car window. Some dirtbag (yeah they have 'em at OSU too I'm sure) went ahead and keyed UofO into the door.

We have an active sport pistol shooting scene in IDPA, steel with our club at the Izaak Walton range, and IPSC is restarting. www.eugenepracticalshooters.com

The Emerald Empire Gun Club is active in shotgun sports, has a bullseye club that is active, does quarterly CMP, has archery, .22 riflle club, etc.

Before I got into pistol, I shot 3x/month competitive rimfire benchrest at EEGC.

Baron's Den has an indoor league on their range, but I've not done anything there.

If you are interested in IDPA, IPSC or steel, check the link or drop me an email. I shoot at matches 4-5 times/month and 3 of those are in the Eugene area.

I've lived in hardscrabble ham n egg conservative areas, rural midwest, big cities, small cities, college towns, redneck bedroom communities, blighted ex-industrial cities, wealthy suburbs and nutty liberal towns from Oregon to North Carolina, with several stops in the middle areas. I like Eugene.

Best,

Ben

I went to OSU and if I was moving to Eugene, I would be sure to remove all bumper stickers or identifying marks from OSU from my car at the least.

My sister spent a year at OSU before transferring to UofO, but didn't think to remove the parking pass sticker from the car window. Some dirtbag (yeah they have 'em at OSU too I'm sure) went ahead and keyed UofO into the door.

I dunno, I see a ton of cars around here with Beavers stickers - they even sell 'em in the stores (plenty of alums in the area). There are a few idiot fans out there, but I think your sister's experience was pretty unusual. Sam's also a lot less likely to park his car overnight in the areas with large undergrad populations.

Eugene's nice, the people here are nice (if a little dotty), there's a lot to do for a town this size, and plenty of places to shoot. You could do a lot worse.

One thing that struck me is how much more "stuff" is available in Eugene. It's a real city, as opposed to Corvallis, which just has that form of government. We've got an active NIMBY/anti-growth contingent here, so there's very little shopping (or anything else) in town, unless you're looking for a coffee shop, pizza place, or Mexican restaurant, those staples of college life. Going to Eugene/Springfield is like going to the big city in comparison.

OTOH, "my" range is 20 minutes from my house, and 90% of the time I have it completely to myself when I go there. 25, 50, 100 (covered), 250, 300, and 600 yard rifle ranges, a pistol range, and a trap range in one place. The only negative is that if I did want to shoot one of the "sports" I'd probably have to go to a different range.

My complacent side says, "Leave well enough alone." My adventurous side says, "Go for it! You're not getting any younger." Argh. This isn't exactly the economy in which to be indecisive. It's almost as tough as deciding between two new guns... ;)

-- Sam

I moved from the Eugene/Springfield area about a year ago and from what i experienced the shooting is a little soft. I would normaly just go up to Shotgun Creek (outside Marcola about 30-45 min out of springfield) We would head up there do a little off roading and then unload a few rounds. just be carefull when its nice out there are alot of dirtbike riders and atv guys up there with familys.

Eugene is one of the most beautiful towns in Oregon, if you can ignore the life forms from time to time. Which, I must inform you, you can't get tags for. It is telling that the Police Department here has the question "Can one really camp on the street in Eugene?" as one of their FAQs.

That said, gorgeous place, and one of the better areas in the Valley for shooting in my experience - you've got Izaak Walton and the Baron's Den in town, and BLM land if you're wanting to drive a little further out, as well as the Lebanon range that you mentioned, which is only twenty minutes from Eugene as the Interstate flies.

Not as many gun stores as the Portland metro area, but prodigious enough, and they seem to fit their own niches. S&M for the title'd stuff, Mazama for the outdoorsman/hunter, and... whatever Baron's Den caters to. Haven't been there.

I think you'll enjoy it. At the least, we have better sports facilities developing right now than Corvallis can ever hope for, and I'd be MORE than happy to help you upgrade to Duck paraphernalia.

At least the trainspotting is better over there, tac. And they aren't afraid of vinegar.

I think the whole Willamette Valley is gorgeous including Eugene - politics aside.

If I had to live there I'd just hope that the rain keeps up.

Which is another way of saying I'd hope it didn't come down. :D

SCTSQRL- You've NEVER been to the Baron's Den? I didn't even know they had guns for sale until about a year and a half ago. It's my favorite store in town now. They have a selection that is as good if not better than S-M, without all the negativity S-M provides. I've never shot at their range (even though I have a range pass) so I can't comment on that. If you are in Eugene and have never been there you should check it out.

Sam take a look at places like Junction city, Brownsville, Harrisburg, you get the idea close enough to get to Eugene easy but still away from the city. Buy a few acres and set up your own range

Moving to Eugene is like wiping your butt before you crap! It is not the cesspool of Oregon it is the A-hole of Oregon full of freaks. Now for the shooting thing there are many places to shoot around the A-hole such as McGowen Creek near Marcola, There is the Barons Den excellent in Eugene, there is the Eugene gun Club in Creswell and many, many outdoor places all around the area to shoot for free! Many gun nuts to meet up with and go plinking with and as Cyclesarge had said stay away from S&M gun shop in Eugene! They have lots of selection but they are very arrogant and rude to deal with I have been there twice and will never return..........

Welcome to the area. I live outside of Junction City, it's not too bad.

Barons Den is a really good shooting resource.

I would also suggest joining the local CHL forum. The folks at the Lane County Sheriff Office CHL division are actually super nice and supportive of CHL holders.

http://eugenechl.proboards.com

I've carried in Lane County and Eugene, both open and concealed, for over 10 years and never had a problem.

Don't overlook the area south of Eugene, it is more bucolic and people are so much more friendly and not as offensive as the citified citizens of the Eugene area. Creswell and Cottage Grove quickly come to mind. The Eugene Gun club is south of Creswell on Hwy 99, skeet, trap and sporting clays almost every weekend and selected evening during the week. You might also consider a transfer of your fraternal membership to the fraternal organization in Cottage Grove, we may not have the range facility like Corvallis but there are a lot of shooters there. Just some things to consider before making a permanent move.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top