JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
20 to 40 foot shipping containers can be purchased or rented, insured and transported by trucking companies. Guns, safes, tools, household stuff, etc. That is how I will do it....

Driving straight through is about the only non-stress option that i would consider.

A friend of mine was hauling some of his sons' stuff from S.C. to Southern Florida in a brand new Chevy 2500 that he just bought. He stopped at a hotel for the night and woke up the next morning to find it gone! They stole his locked and alarmed truck while it was parked 20' from his room. Sure the cops tracked the GPS/security/alarm tracking device that was on it. When they found it about 12 hours later it was stripped. EVERYTHING was removed from the bed and the cab.

Another buddy was PCS'ing bases. About the same story. His U-Haul was stolen in the middle of the night and it was parked about 20-30 from his motel room. They found it stripped and burned in an abandoned area.

Another friend moved from here (Vancouver) to Georgia. Hired one of the moving companies "with insurance". They dropped off the container and he proceeded to load it. He loaded his tool boxes first to bury them the best he could. The movers came and got it and they locked and tagged it with those funky plastic tags. (so both parties can verify that it was "locked" and "secured" so no one could "tamper" with it.) He signed off on the paperwork and assumed all was secure. 3 weeks later it shows up in Georgia (he new it was going to take about that long). He verifies with the moving company the tags were still in tact, and signed the paperwork as being delivered secured. He proceeds to cut the tag and started unloading. Him and his wife noticed things didn't seem right. For one, his tool box was NOT furthest away, it was more towards the middle and things were not packed like they had packed them. When he got to his tool box he noticed the keyed lock was broken like it was pryed open. Then he noticed that most of his tools were gone. When everything was pulled out, his wife noticed a lot of her panties and bras were missing too. Lots of other stuff was missing too. Absolutely no recourse as he signed off on all the paperwork. He thinks they stopped someplace and unloaded, and went though, most of it, then loaded it back up.

If it were me, I'd ask a friend to drive straight through with me and offer to fly them home once you got to your new home. The headache, anger, heartache, stress, etc. ain't worth it. Especially if you have a "substantial" amount of firearms, ammo, supplies, etc. You get to spend 2-3 days with your buddy, and at the end, airfare is "cheap" considering all of your "valuables" that you'll have with you. Rent an enclosed trailer and load your truck and trailer with the "valuables". (Or find one for sale and buy it, as they ALWAYS come in handy especially when you first move into someplace. Think hauling remodeling and landscaping material). Once you're settled, sell it if you want.

TRUST NO ONE !!!! There are thieves everywhere casing hotels, motels, rest stops, truck stops, etc.

Just my $0.02 from close friends experiences.

Driving straight through is about the only non-stress option that i would consider.

A friend of mine was hauling some of his sons' stuff from S.C. to Southern Florida in a brand new Chevy 2500 that he just bought. He stopped at a hotel for the night and woke up the next morning to find it gone! They stole his locked and alarmed truck while it was parked 20' from his room. Sure the cops tracked the GPS/security/alarm tracking device that was on it. When they found it about 12 hours later it was stripped. EVERYTHING was removed from the bed and the cab.

Another buddy was PCS'ing bases. About the same story. His U-Haul was stolen in the middle of the night and it was parked about 20-30 from his motel room. They found it stripped and burned in an abandoned area.

Another friend moved from here (Vancouver) to Georgia. Hired one of the moving companies "with insurance". They dropped off the container and he proceeded to load it. He loaded his tool boxes first to bury them the best he could. The movers came and got it and they locked and tagged it with those funky plastic tags. (so both parties can verify that it was "locked" and "secured" so no one could "tamper" with it.) He signed off on the paperwork and assumed all was secure. 3 weeks later it shows up in Georgia (he new it was going to take about that long). He verifies with the moving company the tags were still in tact, and signed the paperwork as being delivered secured. He proceeds to cut the tag and started unloading. Him and his wife noticed things didn't seem right. For one, his tool box was NOT furthest away, it was more towards the middle and things were not packed like they had packed them. When he got to his tool box he noticed the keyed lock was broken like it was pryed open. Then he noticed that most of his tools were gone. When everything was pulled out, his wife noticed a lot of her panties and bras were missing too. Lots of other stuff was missing too. Absolutely no recourse as he signed off on all the paperwork. He thinks they stopped someplace and unloaded, and went though, most of it, then loaded it back up.

If it were me, I'd ask a friend to drive straight through with me and offer to fly them home once you got to your new home. The headache, anger, heartache, stress, etc. ain't worth it. Especially if you have a "substantial" amount of firearms, ammo, supplies, etc. You get to spend 2-3 days with your buddy, and at the end, airfare is "cheap" considering all of your "valuables" that you'll have with you. Rent an enclosed trailer and load your truck and trailer with the "valuables". (Or find one for sale and buy it, as they ALWAYS come in handy especially when you first move into someplace. Think hauling remodeling and landscaping material). Once you're settled, sell it if you want.

TRUST NO ONE !!!! There are thieves everywhere casing hotels, motels, rest stops, truck stops, etc.

There are very few that I trust at this point in my life. The ones I do are on this forum.

Yah, as others mention, drive straight thru.

Another alternative MAY be commercial camp grounds along the way.

Also, a trailer will help with hauling any other stuff you can't or simply don't want to send via movers. Ammunition, primers, powder etc are normally a no go for movers.

We moved to OR from VA a few years ago. I put all my guns in lockable cases and packed them in the bed first. They were padlocked, and then I ran a steel security cable through the handles of the cases, and the d-rings in the corners or my bed, and locked the cable loop ends together. Then I sandwiched all my ammo in around that. I then put a piece of plywood across the top of everything, resting on the sides of my canopy, and put some light stuff on top to cover that. Behind that went all my tools and other things I didn't want the movers to take. The canopy was locked, but that was pretty worthless, obviously. We towed an RV and slept in it each night. It was always hooked to the truck, and the bed of the RV was on the end closest to the truck. We were usually in the truck or in the RV but we did do a couple short excursions away from the truck. It was a little nerve wracking but we made it without incident.

If I did it again, I would save some of the boxes and random mess from packing and just throw it on top of everything so it just looked like I was going to the dump.

Last Edited:
20 to 40 foot shipping containers can be purchased or rented, insured and transported by trucking companies. Guns, safes, tools, household stuff, etc. That is how I will do it....

Not all moving companies will move firearms, because of the liabilities. If fact, my buddy that moved from here to Georgia, called and checked. He couldn't find one that would transport them. Too many states, laws, etc. He sold some, then mailed the ones he he wanted to kept, to himself at his new address.

If you claim "no firearms are in the container" and it gets to it's final destination, and your firearms are gone, then what do you do?

Also, have you seen some of the "movers" that they hire? :eek:

I know, i know, never judge a book by it's cover, but you can tell those who have been in prison, and those who just like tat's and working out at the gym. ;)

I moved about 2.5 years ago. Obviously, I sold all my guns years ago, you know, for the children. But if I had moved a bunch, I'd have put as many inside cases as I was able to and stacked the rest between layers of blankets in the cargo area of my wife's car. Out of sight, out of mind. I also would have driven straight through and never left the car unattended even for gas and rest area breaks.
I'm glad I didn't need to deal with the complication, but if I had, it wouldn't have really been a big deal.

Two years ago a friend of mine moved from Arizona to Oregon. Rented a Rider truck and drove with his wife and child.
Same thing happened when they stopped for the night at a motel. Woke up to find the lock had been cut and some stuff was stolen.
Mostly bicycles and stuff easy to resell.
Funny part was that they also stole some boxes of books on philosophy and religion. Maybe they will help ?

If you are driving the truck, keep the guns in the safe. Safe should be loaded first anyways so the weight is closer to the cab. So thieves would have to dig all the way to the front of the box to get to a locked safe. If your at a hotel type thing. I don't see that happening.

^^^^^THIS^^^^^^
We have done this a few times, and it's the best way to go about it! Also, drive strait through, you don't want the truck getting nic'ed in the middle of the night!
Get a big azzed Pensky 26 foot box truck and load that safe first, then load the reloading stuff and finally the rest of the stuff! I'm getting to be an expert on this whole PNW to Az moving thing, having done of a few times for family! STAY THE HELL OUT OF KAlI, go through Or, and Nevada to Kingman Az, and then cut over, it's easier then Kali and a little shorter too!
Last move, we did a combo of renting a POD and trailering with one full size pickup and my SUV, worked out nicely, and cost way less then the other options! The POD cost $2300 total and was about as easy as it gets, bonus is that it gives you much needed time to get to your new place and get started with out having all your stuff sitting in the drive way in a big box!

C9339274-5CA6-4193-8736-F9D2B96B7213.jpeg
You could hire the galaxy's most famous smuggler to transport them for you.

When I moved from AZ to OR I rented a truck (U-Haul, probably), guns went in first 'cept my carry piece and one for the wife's car.
We spent one night in UT at a motel... parked up front by the office in a well-lit area and had no issues.
So... how about an enclosed trailer behind your pickup? Cheaper than a whole truck and same level of security. Guns in first, reloading gear, then cover with misc "stuff" that you'll want immediately upon landing... it might take a couple of days for the movers to show up at your new digs. Nothing valuable, just personal use items, kitchen stuff (coffee maker!)... it also serves to bore the hell out of a thief, they'll give up tossing unusable (sellable) "junk" and move on.

how about an enclosed trailer behind your pickup?

chances are I will be pulling the wifes car behind my truck. For the cost of shipping it I can damn near buy a car trailer. What would be perfect is to find an enclosed car trailer buy it fill it with the high end stuff I don't want the carrier to take like my guns and reloading gear and the wifes car and ship the bubblegum I don't care about.

Have you looked into PODS? You fill it up, they haul it for you. It's all locked and insured.
I used a POD to move my reloading gear and bullets and brass etc but the were quite adamant about anything combustible. The pods themselves are pretty flimsy fiberglass boxes so anything I really valued stayed out of it.
I'd use the lockable bed cover plus, if your truck has external cleats , I would chain/cable the lid closed in addition to locking it
When I moved I did 3 trips.
#1 I brought up lesser valued guns and some ammo. Got to new home pulled into garage and locked up Prior to leaving San Jose, I made an appointment with Liberty Safe dealer here who showed up the following morning with a mid-sized safe. He bolted that to the floor and I loaded it up. Also had 2 twin beds delivered that morning as well. I left my car there and rented a moving van and drove it back home, Renting here and driving it round trip was less than half of what doing a one-way rental from the Bay Area at that time.
#2 I hired a boy scout to help me load the van with nearly all of my ammo. I should have gotten a bigger van because I maxed it's 3800lb load out
My sister-in law flew down from Spokane and helped me drive the van back up to Vancouver and then ran my bubblegum into the ground unloading that van in 3 hours
Side note: I highly recommend you consider buying a garden wagon with balloon tires for your move. It really made that unloading that ammo and later, the POD, a lot easier as opposed to lugging 2 ammo cans at a time.
I then turned the van back in, unplugged the garage door openers and flew back home
#3 We then had movers do the furniture and my big gun safe while I loaded the guns and valuables in our RV and dear wife loaded her Honda (My big mistake was not driving her car up and leaving it. My Endeavour was much larger and had more space for stuff but I left it in Vancouver:mad:) Guns were stashed in the guest bedroom while I was waiting for the safe which showed up 5 days later. Had Liberty guy come out and bolt it down, a week after that we had the POD delivered and we were gold.
Best of luck with your move.

ETA I am strongly considering arson as an option if/when we move again;)

I am strongly considering arson as an option if/when we move again

Ya I am at the point that I am going to sell a lot of stuff before we go. would rather go with a pile of cash to buy new than pay a fortune for the move and have a pile old stuff. Now to convince the wife that everything needs to go.

Ya I am at the point that I am going to sell a lot of stuff before we go. would rather go with a pile of cash to buy new than pay a fortune for the move and have a pile old stuff. Now to convince the wife that everything needs to go.

It's just stuff. Doesn't make you happy. Or shouldn't anyway. :)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top