JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
There are different ways of looking at "minimal". I think folks would be better off using thinner kydex but covering more of the gun's surface area than holsters like the Yaqui that just cover a small part. Belt loops cut directly into the kydex also makes the holster overall much smaller than riveting on more layers.

The real minimalist holster is pre installed on most pants. They call it a "pocket" and it covers none of the trigger in hard, safe material but all of the gun in soft pliable material so it's ultra super duper minimal

I've been using a Raven Vanguard 2 with a "claw" for years. I even had Ping Pong Tactical make something similar for a Sig P938. For concealed carry, where my gun isn't going to be unholstered unless I plan to use it, I can't think of a more comfortable design.

The best minimalist holster I've found is made by the company who tells you to lay off massive amounts of carbs and sugars and high fats and try picking up a weight once in awhile and going for jogs.

Even those odd Amazon specials from concealment express and others seem to do just fine in a KORE belt under some adidas gym shorts and a simple white T. Long as you got .08-10 kydex a claw and something with retention (that clack is so satisfying) plus a sweat guard.
Unless you are getting shaken down by your ankles like a Looney tunes character by the hulk it won't be coming out.

The real crime is a lot of these hoslters are so minimal there's not many options for lights and dots included or both (for anything outside of Glock/SIG).

The Tisas PX-9 GEN 3 ships with a "minimalist" type of holster.

tisas-px-9-gen-3-duty-9mm-ngz2099-rear.jpg tisas-px-9-gen-3-duty-9mm-ngz2099-new.jpg

I want a smooth draw without sight or any other part snagging. So full coverage is good for me.

Note that the manufacturer of one of the minimalist designs shown even tells you to remove the holster from your waist to reholster the gun. No thanks.

If it doesn't get unholstered, it won't need to be re-holstered. Right?
What happens when you draw your gun. Neutralize the threat and have to put your firearm away to use both hands to give aid to someone or to yourself? You just gunna throw your gun on the ground…. Allowing anyone to access it?

Have you ever felt the effects of extreme stress? Simple tasks (even removing a holster to reholster and replace in your waistband) can be challenging.

Seconds count.

What happens when you draw your gun. Neutralize the threat and have to put your firearm away to use both hands to give aid to someone or to yourself? You just gunna throw your gun on the ground…. Allowing anyone to access it?

Have you ever felt the effects of extreme stress? Simple tasks (even removing a holster to reholster and replace in your waistband) can be challenging.

Seconds count.
Stick it in my belt, kneel on it, put it in a pocket?

If I was ever in a SD shooting, I wouldn't want the gun on me when the police arrived. Just another way to get killed after you already were almost killed.

If it is safe to render aid, then render aid. If not, leave and take the wounded with you.

But I get where you're coming from, it's just that everything is a compromise. This holster has its compromises, your holster of choice has others. It all comes down to how likely you think the gunfight is going to be and how likely you think everything else you can think of is going to be. If you take all those factors together and find them high, then that just makes the argument for staying home.

Stick it in my belt, kneel on it, put it in a pocket?

If I was ever in a SD shooting, I wouldn't want the gun on me when the police arrived. Just another way to get killed after you already were almost killed.

If it is safe to render aid, then render aid. If not, leave and take the wounded with you.

But I get where you're coming from, it's just that everything is a compromise. This holster has its compromises, your holster of choice has others. It all comes down to how likely you think the gunfight is going to be and how likely you think everything else you can think of is going to be. If you take all those factors together and find them high, then that just makes the argument for staying home.
Yea my compromise is comfort. I find comfort in the fact I have an actual holster, a full size gun, and a multitude of other things on me. Am I comfortable….. no. With that being said I find comfort in knowing the tools I have and my ability. Comfort is the last thing that comes to mind when carrying.

Minimalist holsters are just a marketing tool/holster to allow you to be more comfortable/less bulk. And if that's a key bullet point to keep you carrying on a daily basis than more power to you….

Strategically and tactically they don't fit the role of a holster in my daily carry. Sure they have a place/purpose but that is a very small margin for me personally.

Edit - I'm not jamming a loaded gun (with the trigger exposed) into my belt or pocket. That is a recipe for disaster and has the potential of putting another hole in me that is not wanted at that point in time due to the scenario/induced stress.

Edit - I'm not jamming a loaded gun (with the trigger exposed) into my belt or pocket. That is a recipe for disaster and has the potential of putting another hole in me that is not wanted at that point in time due to the scenario/induced stress.
I would not stick a safetyless gun with a 5 pound trigger in my belt, either. But I would stick a decocked DA gun in my waistband - while I hold the hammer down.

If you're into the What if? game, what do you do if your holster is too damaged to use? TDA has a lot going for it.

I would not stick a safetyless gun with a 5 pound trigger in my belt, either. But I would stick a decocked DA gun in my waistband - while I hold the hammer down.

If you're into the What if? game, what do you do if your holster is too damaged to use? TDA has a lot going for it.
Well I 99% of the time only carry striker fired pistols with no safeties. If my holster was broken I would have to clear my pistol before securing it on my body. But that would obviously be dictated by the scenario and if the scene was safe to do so/no more threats.

All I can say is I try to cover as many bases as I possibly can before walking out the door each day. We can what if all day long. All I can personally do is train and take responsibility for myself and my gear.

We all have opinions. In the end carry what you want. Use whatever gear you want. It's your life, you're the one responsible for it.

Minimalist holster is like buying a rubber from a vending machine at a truck stop.

It MIGHT protect your gun, but if it fails you're screwed.

Minimalist holster is like buying a rubber from a vending machine at a truck stop.

It MIGHT protect your gun, but if it fails you're screwed.
Interesting…Been a long time since having to buy a truck stop Johnnie!

To me, what you are describing is a fixed on the body appendix holster. Ever spoken to an ER Doctor or Nurse about the GSW (gun shot wound) victims who come in? It ain't the people who put the gun in a trigger guard holster and then attach to the waist band that have problems.

Show me a case where the minimalist holster 'failed' to protect the gun and cause a critical problem. Otherwise this is a lot of truck-stop conjecture. :s0033:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top