JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Consider: Have someone you trust (perhaps your son?) babysit all your guns so if she decides to become vengeful you don't lose them.
Oregon legislature ( D )passed a bill that makes giving or loaning your guns to someone else require a legal transfer thru a FFL even if it's for a day.

Transfers between family members are exempt from that law. The OP can transfer his firearms to his son without going through an FFL.

(4) The requirements of subsections (2) and (3) of this section do not apply to:

(a) The transfer of a firearm by or to a law enforcement agency, or by or to a law enforcement officer, private security professional or member of the Armed Forces of the United States, while that person is acting within the scope of official duties.

(b) The transfer of a firearm as part of a firearm turn-in or buyback event, in which a law enforcement agency receives or purchases firearms from members of the public.

(c) The transfer of a firearm to:

(A) A transferor's spouse or domestic partner;

(B) A transferor's parent or stepparent;

(C) A transferor's child or stepchild;

(D) A transferor's sibling;

(E) A transferor's grandparent;

(F) A transferor's grandchild;

(G) A transferor's aunt or uncle;

(H) A transferor's first cousin;

(I) A transferor's niece or nephew; or

(J) The spouse or domestic partner of a person specified in subparagraphs (B) to (I) of this paragraph.

@tkdguy Finding a good woman in Portland that aligns with your ideals and politics is like fishing for steelhead in a kiddie pool. Unless a "babenado" drops one from the sky it ain't going to happen. Look elsewhere and in rural areas. IMO mountain women are the best. They are realistic, willing to hold up their own when it comes to work, tend to stay fit, and tend to stay true, and love the outdoors. It's a cultural thing as metro area like to produce sheep and blur the edges when it comes to morals and ethics. That's less the case in rural America.

I think you may have better luck running into women at rodeos than at singles bars and dating sites. As has been mentioned as we age men become a scarcer commodity. We also tend to age better than women, especially where image is concerned. A wrinkle or graying thinning hair doesn't mean jack to a man, but to a woman these things are a disaster to her social worth. You now hold the cards so be as choosey as you want.

Be social doing things you like to do. You will get noticed and the women will talk to each other and start doing the looking for you. Women LOVE to matchmake so let them do the work for you. I think they do this because they just can't let their husbands see a happy bachelor and get crazy ideas. Just be who you are even with casual socializing because the more information they get the closer they will get to a good match.

You haven't shown it much in what you have written, but the loss of a five year relationship leaves emotional marks beyond the anger you are feeling now, especially with her games leading up to your surgery.
Take your time, heal up physically and emotionally, and don't be in a rush.

In-laws ARE exempt also.

This week one state expanded Red Flag to include teachers who suspect that parents are allowing children to have access to firearms as well as certain other public employees. Expect it to be further expanded so anyone can point a finger at anyone else.

Be social doing things you like to do. You will get noticed and the women will talk to each other and start doing the looking for you. Women LOVE to matchmake so let them do the work for you. I think they do this because they just can't let their husbands see a happy bachelor and get crazy ideas. Just be who you are even with casual socializing because the more information they get the closer they will get to a good match.

My folks had a family friend when I was growing up, a one-legged WWII vet, left his leg on a Japanese island on his first day of combat, as I recall him saying.

Gene liked to quilt. His wife had passed away some years earlier, and his favorite pastime was hanging out at the Grange hall with the ladies of the quilting club, making quilts. He was good at quilting, but I think the way all the widows there fawned over him had more to do with it!

In-laws ARE exempt also.
Maybe that's how it is meant, can't see why else they would include that redundancy with (b), but that is not how it reads.
Unless I'm supposed to assume "the parent or step parent of a spouse or domestic partner", where as with section (i) it reads fluidly and in proper order.

How can we trust these people to make laws if their literary skills aren't even up to par!

After your recovery...

Take a vacation to Thailand. Before going, watch the YouTube videos and note the warnings about the "Bar Girls" and falling in love. Not to mention the "Lady Boys". In other words.....understand the rules before you play. Have a good time. I'll bet that you'll come back with a different perspective on the female sex.

Aloha, Mark

After your recovery...

Take a vacation to Thailand. Before going, watch the YouTube videos and note the warnings about the "Bar Girls" and falling in love. Not to mention the "Lady Boys". In other words.....understand the rules before you play. Have a good time. I'll bet that you'll come back with a different perspective on the female sex.

Aloha, Mark
Yep, whores are nonexistent around these parts.

lol, nr

Home sick with post-operative pain. And, disgusted that the relationship went that far and to have her expose her "real" self days before the surgery; deceitfulness and thinking it would have been miserable to have had her here post-surgery with her lack of empathy and callous feelings. My son dropped off her belongings days ago, and suggested that I contact her to resolve misunderstandings, but her anti ar stuff and torrid anger on anti-establishment attitudes was royally upsetting. I remember when I was in college the anger of the "Weather Women"--just like this one. Yuk!

I wouldn't block her e-mails, as you might need them in the future to prove a point if she decides to go full rabid stalker postal on you.

Well, if you do contact her, wait until you're a pitcher of health...
I wouldn't block her e-mails, as you might need them in the future to prove a point if she decides to go full rabid stalker postal on you.
They won't issue restraining orders nor no-contact orders if you are in communication... so there is that aspect.

Yesterday, I go out to dinner with my son. In the car he tells me that the gf called him and requested that I return all of her things. I had previously requested from her no contact before my surgery and for about 7-10 days after my surgery so as to avoid stress. I had told her in an email please no contact so as to avoid stress and a bad outcome at surgery and I would contact her in about 10 days after surgery and in the back of my mind, if she did not come around, I'd give her the belongings back. So, within 48 hours of my surgery I get the notice from my son that she wants all of her things back and my stress level went up and likely my blood pressure. I just thinking that her decision to vacate within 48 hours of my very serious surgery was callous and cold heated; just so awful. Thinking that this was her exit and callous along with everything else, it would have been just awful to have stayed with her. Sending back her things today via my son and wishing her well. God is she self-destructive.
I dont quite interpret this as you are. When you said you didn't want her around or communicating with you while waiting for or recovering from surgery, anyone in their right mind would realize its all over, and she should just get her stuff and thats that. If you dont want someone around then, when you most need support, its all over. When you said that, you ended things. She was just accepting your decision. And she needed to get her stuff before you got home so she didnt disturb you while you were recovering. She didnt contact you. She contacted your son. It was his choice to mention it. I think you are right to dump her. But you did dump her. Her getting her stuff out is not her dumping you. Its just accepting that you have dumped her. I doubt I would like this woman, and I know I wouldnt get along with her. But her realizing this relationship is dead, that your interest in her is over, and getting her stuff is completely reasonable.

User1234 said "rabid", which was the term I thought of as soon as I read your (tdkguy) post. Yeah, I had a dog that got rabies, LOVED that dog, she thought I was God on Earth, and the best think that ever happened to me. I shot her and cried the entire time, but was not going to let her back in the house. I still think of she 30 years later and cry, but it had to be done. It's your life, but I would not allow a rabid, vicious, deranged animal that can, and probably WILL, turn on me at the worst possible time and probably kill me, in my house or around me. LOTS of women in the dating pool out there in your age pool, just put an ad in the paper and you should have a line out the door. Sure holding on to "what you got" seems like a good idea, done it myself when walking (or RUNNING!) away would have saved me untold pain and grief, but like cancer, it is better to cut it out of your life NOW, than wait until it has eaten you alive and then saying, "if only I had...".

Home sick with post-operative pain. And, disgusted that the relationship went that far and to have her expose her "real" self days before the surgery; deceitfulness and thinking it would have been miserable to have had her here post-surgery with her lack of empathy and callous feelings. My son dropped off her belongings days ago, and suggested that I contact her to resolve misunderstandings, but her anti ar stuff and torrid anger on anti-establishment attitudes was royally upsetting. I remember when I was in college the anger of the "Weather Women"--just like this one. Yuk!
I think nearly everyone has experienced a relationship where, after the fact, we kicked ourselves for not realizing earlier that it was a no go. I certainly have.

Doesnt sound to me that you have misunderstandings. You have unreconsileable differences. Discussing them wont change anything.

If you do feel any inclination to discuss, probably best to put it off for a couple of months so you are recovered. And have some distance. Also, at that point it would likely be more closure than an issue of resuming. Any discussion real soon would be more an issue of restarting or not. Dont agree to discuss unless you want to. And if you do, do it entirely in public. Meet her at a restaurant for dinner. No going to her apt or her coming to yours. No driving together in a car.

May you move on to a relationship with a woman who understands and honors your interests and protectiveness.

Last Edited:
I have seen range conversion therapy work with rabid liberals. "How can you be against something you know nothing about?" Show her some home invasion videos. Then grab a timer, fill up two dozen milk jugs with water and head to an outdoor range or shooting spot with a berm. Place four jugs 21 feet away and six feet apart at chest height on the berm. Have her start with a 38sp revolver and ask her to empty the water out of all four as fast as she can. Double action only, no time to cock the hammer. Next have her move up to a good olde pump action 12 gauge shot gun with 00 buck. "That kicks don't it?" Now have her try the AR. Easier to aim, less kick, explodes each jug with a single hit and can shoot multiple rounds without reloading if she misses. Compare times for all the runs.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews