JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The only load info I could find on the Hammer Forums was using a MUCH lighter bullet for 223

Personally I'd look at a 6.5 something upper and not try to make the 223 do something beyond it's envelope.

I don't load for an AR-15, but when picking a Hammer bullet I would suggest choosing light for caliber. They will still penetrate like a heavier lead core bullet.

FYI, the 73 gr Hammer Hunter requires a 1:7 twist to stabilize.
I was looking at some of them in the 60gr that I think would work just fine. Its my understanding Hammers are designed to fragment a bit... Im not really a fan of the 223 for hunting in the first place so my initial idea was leaning on the heavier to pack a punch so to speak.

PRI mags are very good and allow for at least .040" more coal. If you dont want to buy one just for the experiment, just buy the bullets and see if you can get a load to shoot between between 2.260 and 2.305 singe loading. If successful and the longer mag is needed then pull the trigger on a PRI.
They didnt state on their website but as long as I know they accept a longer length I can afford to buy one just to try.

Personally I'd look at a 6.5 something upper and not try to make the 223 do something beyond it's envelope.
Ive actually given this consideration as Im not a fan of 223 for hunting, problem is I already have traditional hunting rifles in ideal calibers. The AR is just a fun range toy but i wouldnt mind giving it a real job to do for scouting trips and as a backup hunting rifle in camp.

bookmarked, thank you.
40 bucks just to try but it looks like no matter what magazine I have to just experiment to find out.

I just dont know how far back inside the case a longer projectile can protrude... seems like there is a limit.
FWIW, From Hammer's web site
We have found that Hammer Bullets are not sensitive to seating depth. Seating to mag length for repeating rifles or just off the lands will generally work very well without need to adjust for better accuracy.
So... looks like Hammer is saying, find a seating depth that fits the magazine and develop your load accordingly.

Last Edited:
So... looks like Hammer is saying, find a seating depth that fits the magazine and develop your load accordingly.
What they are referring to is freebore jump, what im asking about is how far inside the case it protrudes. I dont know what the max limit is, but pretty confident there is one....

Ive actually given this consideration as Im not a fan of 223 for hunting, problem is I already have traditional hunting rifles in ideal calibers. The AR is just a fun range toy but i wouldnt mind giving it a real job to do for scouting trips and as a backup hunting rifle in camp.
Most bullets seem as unobtanium as primers these days, but I'd look at the Nosler 60 gr Partition or the 64 grain Bonded Solid Base. The BSB's have gone out of production, but I still see them on clearances periodically. Both will perform well across the range a 223 is effective. A big advantage of Hammer is that you can actually get your hands on some and that's not trivial!

What they are referring to is freebore jump, what im asking about is how far inside the case it protrudes. I dont know what the max limit is, but pretty confident there is one....
Not what I quoted. I went back and bolded the word in the quote of their web site "or".
As in "not sensitive to seating depth".

Most bullets seem as unobtanium as primers these days, but I'd look at the Nosler 60 gr Partition or the 64 grain Bonded Solid Base. The BSB's have gone out of production, but I still see them on clearances periodically. Both will perform well across the range a 223 is effective. A big advantage of Hammer is that you can actually get your hands on some and that's not trivial!
Thats the problem is its hard to find bullets you want, cant fi d 223 partitions... But Hammers are always available.
I think a 64gr Hammer will work though, and the same as a partition.

Its odd Hammer is always available thru this crunch, whatever they are doing they are doing it right.

@osprey i was checking out those Lehighs and they tempt me too. And there are some right now at Midway. Its good to have options.

Not what I quoted. I went back and bolded the word in the quote of their web site "or".
As in "not sensitive to seating depth".
Thats interesting, im still cautious. Their 73gr really would protrude pretty deep into the case. Maybe I will email them later tonight and ask...

I think it's mostly because most people haven't heard of them. Yet.
Its odd Hammer is always available thru this crunch, whatever they are doing they are doing it right.
It's also because Hammer manufacturers there own bullets and all they need is the correct copper alloy to do it. They're of a size that they have been able to order and maintain the raw materials they need to date. That could change, but their advantage over others is likely that they only need one thing to stay in operation.

It might also be that monolithics are (im guessing) way easier to make than bonded cup and core.
...they only need one material and bullets are really small (material yeild).

ASC STAINLESS 233 mags will allow up to 2.316 nominal. Remember STAINLESS. They will let you have a great deal more flexibility and get you closer to the lands that us often a help in accuracy. They are also relatively inexpensive compared to the PRI. They make them in other flavors too and are a godsend on my 6.8 and 6.5 wildcats.

Greg

If I'm reading your picture correctly, that's way too far down into the case IMO.

You're also cutting way down on the amount of powder that can be placed into the case.

I may have read somewhere awhile back that you don't really want to go much further down into a case than where the boat tail junction meets the bottom of the case neck. I believe this was from a precision loading book.
I did some more web searching on this and found a couple articles. A Ron Spomer article discussed seating depth in a good article on the subject but his reference to the 6.5 creedmore led me to its Wikipedia page that has a photo insert caption describing to not seat below the case neck or you will get a "donut" problem. It didn't elaborate, but perhaps it does tell me that there is a limit on how far into a case a longer projectile can be seated....

The Ron Spomer article is interesting because he seems to be challenging the idea that a long bullet takes up too much powder space.

The Wikipedia article on the 6.5 Creedmore mentions the issue of long bullets causing a donut problem but doesnt elaborate on what that is.

I did some more web searching on this and found a couple articles. A Ron Spomer article discussed seating depth in a good article on the subject but his reference to the 6.5 creedmore led me to its Wikipedia page that has a photo insert caption describing to not seat below the case neck or you will get a "donut" problem. It didn't elaborate, but perhaps it does tell me that there is a limit on how far into a case a longer projectile can be seated....

The Ron Spomer article is interesting because he seems to be challenging the idea that a long bullet takes up too much powder space.

The Wikipedia article on the 6.5 Creedmore mentions the issue of long bullets causing a donut problem but doesnt elaborate on what that is.
I'll see if I can find the info. I believe it came from one of my precision reloading books.

"The donut is a result of thicker shoulder material migrating into the neck. You can have donuts without having ever turned a neck.

Your bushing die should alleviate any donut issues though as it leaves the neck shoulder junction untouched as it resides in the dies bushing chamfer area so any thick part shouldn't encroach too far inside the neck since it isn't being pushed in."

"The donut is a result of thicker shoulder material migrating into the neck. You can have donuts without having ever turned a neck.

Your bushing die should alleviate any donut issues though as it leaves the neck shoulder junction untouched as it resides in the dies bushing chamfer area so any thick part shouldn't encroach too far inside the neck since it isn't being pushed in."
so then that means the donut problem is not related to how far into the case the bullet protrudes....?

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top