JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Im still fairly new to reloading and have never reloaded 223 but have a project in mind to develop a hunting load in the AR15 platform depending if its reasonable.

Is there a maximum projectile length that will work in an AR15 magazine for .223?

More specifically, this 73 grain Hammer Hunter projectile thats 1.155" long? Will it fit in the magazine?

It depends on the magazine. Some have a bit more internal room than others.

FWIW, those Hammer Hunters are outstanding performers. Make sure to check out their reloading forums, there is a lot of good information in there. They don't load like traditional bullets.

It depends on the magazine. Some have a bit more internal room than others.

FWIW, those Hammer Hunters are outstanding performers. Make sure to check out their reloading forums, there is a lot of good information in there. They don't load like traditional bullets.
In my case Im using the Magpul 10rd mag with their 5rd limiter insert to be legal in Oregon.

Would the Hammes be ok for a beginner reloader? I dont have much experience.

Max OAL for 223 is 2.260.

I load at 2.230 for 55gr, and have seen 2.250 in GI magazines.
What Im not certain about is if there are different projectile ogive shapes and lengths in hunting projectiles and I wasnt certain if they would fit in a standard magazine or if they were designed for bolt action rifles only.

Almost all 223 hunting rounds you can buy are set at almost max length for most mags. Best answer is, if it fits in the mag you plan to use than your good, if not make adjustments as needed.

Best) A butt-welded mag like PRI will give you the greatest COAL.
The 6.8 crowd claims 2.305" from the PRI mag.
Good) Lapped and spot welded like USGI
Worst) Polymer

Last Edited:
In my case Im using the Magpul 10rd mag with their 5rd limiter insert to be legal in Oregon.

Would the Hammes be ok for a beginner reloader? I dont have much experience.
Magpuls from what I understand are the worst mags for long OAL. I believe they are a bit thicker than aluminum mags. I'm no expert in this arena though, just what I've picked up reading stuff over the years.

I'm not the worlds' most accomplished reloader, but I put in a lot of research, mostly on the Hammer bullets forum, and figured out some loads for my '06. The biggest downside is they are expensive for experimenting with.

2.260" OAL is getting close in a Magpul magazine. I've gone as far as 2.270" with the 77gr SMKs but I think they're starting to drag just a tad at that point.

Magpuls from what I understand are the worst mags for long OAL. I believe they are a bit thicker than aluminum mags. I'm no expert in this arena though, just what I've picked up reading stuff over the years.

I'm not the worlds' most accomplished reloader, but I put in a lot of research, mostly on the Hammer bullets forum, and figured out some loads for my '06. The biggest downside is they are expensive for experimenting with.
I dont know of any other magazine thats legal to hunt with in Oregon. I have some factory ammo designed for deer hunting that fits just fine (but is probably max) with 62 and 64gr projectiles so I thought about handloading with some Hammers but noticed the one I want is 1.155" long but I dont know how far back into a case a projectile can be seated?
Monolithics are longer for the same weight, so I might have to choose a different Hammer or another bullet company and use lead cores in which case maybe I wont handload for this since I already have factory ammo...

0110222118.jpg

Last Edited:
bookmarked, thank you.
40 bucks just to try but it looks like no matter what magazine I have to just experiment to find out.

I just dont know how far back inside the case a longer projectile can protrude... seems like there is a limit.
If I'm reading your picture correctly, that's way too far down into the case IMO.

You're also cutting way down on the amount of powder that can be placed into the case.

I may have read somewhere awhile back that you don't really want to go much further down into a case than where the boat tail junction meets the bottom of the case neck. I believe this was from a precision loading book.

If I'm reading your picture correctly, that's way too far down into the case IMO.

You're also cutting way down on the amount of powder that can be placed into the case.

I may have read somewhere awhile back that you don't really want to go much further down into a case than where the boat tail junction meets the bottom of the case neck. I believe this was from a precision loading book.
I have nothing to reference this by but when I was looking at projectiles I wanted it only makes sense they wont work seated that far. 1.155" is long for .223. I just thought Id ask here since Im new to reloading but unless someone has an actual experience I have mostly concluded the longer monolithics wont work with a semi auto magazine.

I don't load for an AR-15, but when picking a Hammer bullet I would suggest choosing light for caliber. They will still penetrate like a heavier lead core bullet.

FYI, the 73 gr Hammer Hunter requires a 1:7 twist to stabilize.

I can see your question of will it fit in the mag? But will it shoot with acceptable accuracy?
I load thousands of match grade 223 ammo for mid range (600 yards) annually. Some bullets
like my favorite 77 SMMK can be loaded to magazine length and shoot excellent. Other bullets
like the 80 SMK are loaded long and won't fit in the magazine. The 80s don't shoot well if they have
to jump into the throat. Some bullets don't shoot well if they have to jump into the throat. As others
above had said is 2.260 OAL. The Sierra manual lists case OAL at 2.260". Because the 77 SMK
varies in length from bullet to bullet I seat them at 2.255. Big factor consider is the accuracy
for distance you will be hunting at. Barrel twist rate will determine if the twist is fast enough to
stabilize the longer bullets. The new Burger .224" 85.5 grain bullets are loaded to mag length for 223.
I have never tried them.

Last Edited:
PRI mags are very good and allow for at least .040" more coal. If you dont want to buy one just for the experiment, just buy the bullets and see if you can get a load to shoot between between 2.260 and 2.305 singe loading. If successful and the longer mag is needed then pull the trigger on a PRI. The shorter length of the PRI 5 and 10 round mags are also handy for some shooting situations like at the bench. Just for a reference point I have a load using 77gr sierra tmk bullets at 2.260 coal that work fine. The bullet length of the 77 stmk is 1.072". Your bullet is .083" longer . I have no doubt a load could be found but it maybe a bit slower than desired and will most likely need to be loaded at a longer coal than regular mags allow. I don't think that bullet was designed with the 223 rem in mind.

The PRI is the best mag for this project, no doubt.
Gotta pay to play because they're more difficult to produce as compared to lapped and spot welded mags.

If a guy is on a budget, take a conventional metal mag and make a clearance cut like so:
c07166b1-1de9-4308-a303-9d80610decc0-jpeg.jpg
This guy did a messy job of it, but it's a fairly common mod for 6.8SPC and Valkyrie.

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top