JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello. I am newer to reloading and came across something I am confused by. I inherited some 30-30 brass that is trimmed to lengths between 1.80 and 2.00. Manuals show lengths between 2.029 and 2.039.
Any idea why they'd be trimmed so short? I believe he shot lever action. Tinckering? Something with cast bullets?
Second would be, are they suitable to load and run through my lever action rifle?

thanks for any advice and wisdom.

Maybe to match a specific cast bullet.

Maybe to remove splits from repeated crimping.

Maybe his trimmer settings changed during use.

Extended use of the very short ones may cause neck erosion in the chamber.

I'd trash the shorter ones and use the ones close to 2.00.

Bruce

Last Edited:
You can go as low as 2.019.
No idea why anyone would trim shorter, 30-30 brass is available and cheap Id toss the short ones they arent worth it.
Note, its best to learn with new brass that way you can eliminate any questions on quality and track how many firings your getting from each case. Ideally you want to trim as little as possible each reload.

Lever Evolution ammo came with a shorter case. The crimp groove on the bullet is farther back on the bullet. Any of the cases can be trimmed to be used with them. The shorter cases can be loaded with any bullet because 30-30 are head spaced on the rim not the case shoulder or case mouth.
DR

I have encountered "shorter than normal" cases in multiple calibers. I've also over trimmed :rolleyes:.
If you've ever looked at how long the 30-30 neck is, 1/64th to 1/32nd won't matter much since it headspaces off the rim.
As far as potential throat erosion, my 30-30's are plinkin' guns, and "a minute of soda can" is good for me - i.e. I don't worry about it.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top