JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
This is how it's done - unlike the Broward County SRO that stood by while people were dying, this SRO, armed with just his handgun, pursued and engaged the shooter - firing at him and killing him, ending the threat.

So give an SRO a gun and a set of cojones, and you have a recipe for protecting kids. No deaths, other than the POS shooter, reported as of the time of this post.

Lots of respect for this officer, who put his life on the line, stepping between the threat and the students in this school. I suspect there are more like this than there are like the Broward Cowards, and I'm glad to know the good ones are out there.

Sheriff:

"Our school resource officer was alerted to the event. he pursued the shooter, engaged the shooter, fired a round at the shooter," St. Mary's County Sheriff Tim Cameron said. "The shooter fired a round as well. In the hours and days to come, we'll be able to determine if our school resource officer's round struck the shooter."

Cameron said there was "no question" the situation would have been worse if the SRO had not engaged the shooter in an interview with The Post.

"This is what we train for, this is what we prepare for, and this is what we pray that we never have to do. On this day, we realized our worst nightmare," Cameron said.
"The notion of 'it can't happen here' is no longer a notion."

Some links - choose the one that offends you the least:

Shooter dead, two injured after shooting at Great Mills High School in Maryland

Student gunman dies after Maryland school shooting; two other students injured

Maryland high school shooting: Armed student dead, two others wounded - CNN

I was just reading about this. Glad they had an armed guard. Making new gun laws will NOT stop these.

Never do we hear that it was the popular well liked kid doing this. Always the disenfranchised, bullied, ostracized and belittled outsider. How did they come to be like this? Look in the schools, most have become some modern version of "Lord of the flies" where children do and say what they want, thinking there are no repercussions to their words or actions.
They have created their own monsters and won't admit it.

Goes to show the only way to stop a bad guy with a gun, is a good guy with a gun!!

wish it didn't happen but if it does this is the outcome we want!!

I'm still waiting to hear the age of the shooter. The stories say he was a "student", which implies to me that he's no older than 19. Yet he produced a handgun, something it's already illegal for him to purchase - legally. This is a tragic, yet well-timed example that changing purchasing ages won't stop these kinds of events. A motivated person will get a weapon, no matter what the law says. In the end, gun control laws are only there to punish the 99.999% (yes, that's the actual number of gun owners based on 12,000 homicides per year and assuming 80,000,000 gun owners) who will never do anything like this. Yep, they want to change the laws for all of us to supposedly stop the .00015% of bad actors from doing their deeds.

Most people that say arming teachers is bad just don't get it. They think, I don't want a gun. People can't comprehend schools are a magnet for these events. Where else do they happen with such regularity?

This school got lucky there was a SRO on the ball. But any teacher that says they wouldn't defend children given the opportunity should be forced out if that job.

This officer did a great job, no excuses, just stepped in when it was necessary to help out others.

Maybe the Broward County Sheriff's Office could learn a thing or two about how to do their job.

This is how it's done - unlike the Broward County SRO that stood by while people were dying, this SRO, armed with just his handgun, pursued and engaged the shooter - firing at him and killing him, ending the threat.

So give an SRO a gun and a set of cojones, and you have a recipe for protecting kids. No deaths, other than the POS shooter, reported as of the time of this post.

Lots of respect for this officer, who put his life on the line, stepping between the threat and the students in this school. I suspect there are more like this than there are like the Broward Cowards, and I'm glad to know the good ones are out there.

Sheriff:

"Our school resource officer was alerted to the event. he pursued the shooter, engaged the shooter, fired a round at the shooter," St. Mary's County Sheriff Tim Cameron said. "The shooter fired a round as well. In the hours and days to come, we'll be able to determine if our school resource officer's round struck the shooter."

Cameron said there was "no question" the situation would have been worse if the SRO had not engaged the shooter in an interview with The Post.

"This is what we train for, this is what we prepare for, and this is what we pray that we never have to do. On this day, we realized our worst nightmare," Cameron said.
"The notion of 'it can't happen here' is no longer a notion."

Some links - choose the one that offends you the least:

Shooter dead, two injured after shooting at Great Mills High School in Maryland

Student gunman dies after Maryland school shooting; two other students injured

Maryland high school shooting: Armed student dead, two others wounded - CNN
""I think everybody went above and beyond the call of duty in this particular instance," Maryland Gov. Larry Hogan said at the afternoon press conference."

No, Gov. Hogan, they simply did their jobs...for once.

When you have to carry a gun as part of your job, it's because part of your responsibility is to use it if the need arises.

We need to get more officers like these in all schools and quit messing around.

Never do we hear that it was the popular well liked kid doing this. Always the disenfranchised, bullied, ostracized and belittled outsider. How did they come to be like this? Look in the schools, most have become some modern version of "Lord of the flies" where children do and say what they want, thinking there are no repercussions to their words or actions.
They have created their own monsters and won't admit it.

Jaclyn Corin:
"Less than a WEEK ago Great Mills High School students walked out with us to protest gun violence...now they're experiencing it for themselves. The state of our country is disgusting - I'm so sorry, Great Mills."

Maybe it's time to put the blame where it belongs. These shooters are all contemporaries of the young people who are so upset about all of this. Maybe it's time for them ALL to step up and examine their own behavior and social values. They blame the NRA when it's their classmates who are doing the shooting.

Just in - shooter was 17 years old. So be sure to remind folks pushing for more age restrictions on gun purchases that more laws simply aren't going to stop these events. Bad people find a way around laws.

Armed officers in schools were just proven to be effective, however.

Sorry this had to happen, but glad it had a happy ending. One less dirtbag in the world. Love that our tax dollars won't be spent keeping him healthy, warm and well fed in prison.

Just in - shooter was 17 years old. So be sure to remind folks pushing for more age restrictions on gun purchases that more laws simply aren't going to stop these events. Bad people find a way around laws.

Armed officers in schools were just proven to be effective, however.

Yep, we already have laws that supposedly "prevent" those under 21 from buying a handgun. And yet the kid had a Glock. Go figure. :rolleyes:

Yep, we already have laws that supposedly "prevent" those under 21 from buying a handgun. And yet the kid had a Glock. Go figure. :rolleyes:

And to top that off, Maryland has some of the most restrictive gun laws in the country - just behind places like Chicago, NY and CA. They require mandatory 4 hours training just to buy a handgun in that state.

Yep, more laws will save us....o_O

I thought most city's had armed Resource Officers and this proves that it will work in most case's, rather simple not sure what the problem is. However arming the teachers is kinda rediculous in my opinion. Just arm the schools Resource officer, security what ever that are living in the 70s and problem solved.

I feel for the kids that got shot, and it's a terrible situation, though much better than it might have been without the officer, but I gotta admit, I'm relieved that he used a handgun and not an evil black assault rifle shooting a 30 round clip in half a second with a shoulder thing that goes up.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews