JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
"Crowl was booked Monday into jail on allegations of attempted assault of a public safety officer, unlawful use of a weapon and unlawful possession of a firearm, with bail set at $1 million."

Where/when did he use A weapon? And when did he assault? Maybe conspiracy to commit assault? Is that even a real?

Which firearm was he unlawfully possessing? Which guns were loaded? I know in WA cant have a rifle loaded but can have mags full. If he has a CPL the handguns are fine.

Guy is an idiot and asked to be noticed. Well, hope he likes the spotlight.

His behavior has not led to any action either on his part or on the part of the police.
If they are concerned, they should get a stalking order and enforce it.
I think the guy is a creep and probably not up to any good....but I don't see
a legal reason to arrest him.
You are right. There was no reason to nip Omar Mateen in the bud either. Better to just let them do what they are going to do rather than ruffle the feathers of interWebbers.

I disagree. If the same guy was sitting in front of your house doing the same thing taking pictures of you, your wife and your kids, would you also say "nowhere does it say that this man acted against anyone"

There's a big difference between a private citizen and a public employee carrying out their duties in public places. Whether or not this guy was possibly up to no good is not the issue here, I believe the issue is whether or not the LEA had authority to charge this guy with "attempted assault of a public safety officer" and "unlawful use of a weapon" for nothing but filming them and being a "self-proclaimed Constitutionalist".

The 1st, 7th, 9th and 11th Circuit's have all ruled in some form that filming/taking pictures of LEO is covered under the First Amendment.

Ray

His behavior has not led to any action either on his part or on the part of the police.
If they are concerned, they should get a stalking order and enforce it.
I think the guy is a creep and probably not up to any good....but I don't see
a legal reason to arrest him.

Well, it seems to me that he was clearly guilty of illegal possession of the firearms that were in his vehicle. Portland has its own ordinance that he would have clearly been in violation of.

Does he have an Oregon CHL? If not, then I think he clearly broke the local and state laws about possession. Without a CHL, all guns would have to be unloaded, and any handgun inside a SUV without a trunk would have to be inside a locked container.

But how they came up with all of these other charges, and the $1,000,000 bail, I honestly do not know. But I think that it is safe to say that if you commit a gun crime in Portland, and are labeled as being some kind of gun nut or extremist, you are probably going to get the book thrown at you.

They searched his home and ONLY found "Hundreds of 5.56 and 9mm rounds of ammunition". I am sorry but any self proclaimed Constitutionalist should have Thousands of 5.56 and 9mm rounds of ammunition.

According to corporate records, Crowl operated a business in Oregon called Advanced Target Identification and Engagement Systems Inc. The company, with an address of Timber, Ore., was formed in 2010 and dissolved in late 2013. The incorporation documents say the business was involved in "staffing, technology and creative services."

Crowl owned property in Oregon and married an Oregon woman in June 2015, according to her Facebook page and an online wedding registry.

You are right. There was no reason to nip Omar Mateen in the bud either. Better to just let them do what they are going to do rather than ruffle the feathers of interWebbers.

This.

You know. I can see where you're coming from. But with the recent attacks on law enforcement officers, don't you think arresting a man who's been watching them for months and tracking their movements, has a police radio scanner to hear their communications, and just casually carries a semi-automatic rifle, a shotgun, two pistols, and hundreds of rounds of ammunition on him is reasonable?

If you don't act weird and stalk LEO's for months on end with a small arsenal of loaded firearms in your immediate possession, you have nothing to worry about.

They can charge him with whatever they want. More than likely, the charges won't stick. And if there's no evidence, then charges will be dropped. But if they can find solid evidence that he was planning an attack, then great.

Only one charge, given the information from the article, may stick. And that is unlawful possession of a firearm, as if he does not have a CPL then it is illegal to have a loaded magazine / weapon in Multnomah County.

Threads such as this one are sure to be controversial. Please remember to keep things civil and respectful.

Deputy District Attorney Stacy Heyworth said "I can't imagine why anyone in the Portland area would have that sort of ammunition,"

One of the pistols was in the center console, where police said they saw Crowl reaching, according to the affidavit.

Crowl violated city laws by carrying a loaded firearm in a public place and because he did not have a concealed carry license, police said.

Crowl's bail is set at $1 million.

His next court appearance is scheduled for Aug. 17 at 9:30 a.m.

Deputy District Attorney Stacy Heyworth said "I can't imagine why anyone in the Portland area would have that sort of ammunition,"

One of the pistols was in the center console, where police said they saw Crowl reaching, according to the affidavit.

Crowl violated city laws by carrying a loaded firearm in a public place and because he did not have a concealed carry license, police said.

Crowl's bail is set at $1 million.

His next court appearance is scheduled for Aug. 17 at 9:30 a.m.

He violated a city ordinance, which is already a legal grey area because there are laws on the books saying that cities cannot go beyond state law for this sort of thing, yet they do. When I attended the Utah/Arizona CHL class at Threat Dynamics, it was explained to us as an ordinance violation, which would be the legal equivalent of a parking ticket. Maybe that's false or I misunderstood...

I read that DA quote and thought "does this ***** have any idea who lives around here? To answer her, a lot of us do."

My running guess for this is that the cops got fed up with this guy and wanted to take him down. Which is usually fine, but really? Can cops just arrest and charge with nonsense charges and then send the guy to the gulag without any evidence? I read that he is after the "bad apples" of the police, and frankly, he's gonna get exactly what he wants. If he is so bad, put an officer on him and try to build a case for conspiracy, which is actually a crime.

"Do you have a permit for that freedom?"

I don't like people who are fans of totalitarianism and pre-crime. Be prepared, nail him when he begins to act. This is what separates us (supposedly) from 3rd world kangaroo courts.

You know. I can see where you're coming from. But with the recent attacks on law enforcement officers, don't you think arresting a man who's been watching them for months and tracking their movements, has a police radio scanner to hear their communications, and just casually carries a semi-automatic rifle, a shotgun, two pistols, and hundreds of rounds of ammunition on him is reasonable?

If you don't act weird and stalk LEO's for months on end with a small arsenal of loaded firearms in your immediate possession, you have nothing to worry about.

They can charge him with whatever they want. More than likely, the charges won't stick. And if there's no evidence, then charges will be dropped. But if they can find solid evidence that he was planning an attack, then great.

Only one charge, given the information from the article, may stick. And that is unlawful possession of a firearm, as if he does not have a CPL then it is illegal to have a loaded magazine / weapon in Multnomah County.

It is still following public employees. It is well known that when on-duty, public employees cannot opt-out of being filmed like regular people can. Therefore, stalking would only apply if this was an off-duty thing where he followed cops home and such. Then you've got a case.

Plus, why do cops have the right to make up nonsense charges then force someone to spend tens of thousands of dollars to defend himself without compensation against charges that have no basis in reality?

None. And you cannot equate lions with humans and their consciousness. That is a straw man.
When you say 'you' do you mean me or people in general because I certainly can equate the two. A predator is a predator and a sheepdog is built to notice the difference.

The 'straw man' cliche rolls off my back...it's a term used to dismiss someone else's argument and gain traction for ones own.

Face the facts, the guy was creeping out...he was up to no good...he was clearly a red flag and that problem needed to be addressed.

Face the facts, the guy was creeping out...he was up to no good...he was clearly a red flag and that problem needed to be addressed.

Well, but if people can be arrested for being creepy, then Michael Jackson should have definitely been jailed.

583923-c6a2fb5a-db9c-11e4-bf00-4d5fe57f7b86.jpg

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top