JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Uhhhh.... If they were sent to an FFL and all procedures were followed, there'd definitely be a paper trail, right? I don't understand how he even got away with a single one

Indeed, paper trail, galore. But I'm not even remotely surprised it took so long for the feds to roll on it. Regardless, if the accused did the scamming that is claimed, he's headed to prison where he belongs. He'll need the counsel of a good attorney and later a proctologist in coming days.

Based on the post title, he was light on ammo.

Very much so.

The media always simplifies. Here is the actual complaint: https://www.justice.gov/usao-sc/press-release/file/1274326/download

He had multiple accounts under multiple names and he did use an FFL who confirmed he picked up a firearm, but it seems his "best" scam was to buy the gun, have it shipped to an FFL, and then while the package was in transit, have it shipped rerouted to a non-FFL other location and go pick it up. He could then say the FFL never received it and reverse the transaction

scammer.png

Last Edited:
No, whenever I want an account, I go to my bank and open one. There is no limit on the number of accounts a person may have.
OK, I get that but, there is at least two threads here about this. I don't remember if both of them used the same "news source" but it claimed he was making up names, buying firearms, then claiming he never got them, then got the money back. So he was making up fake names, getting a bank account, buying a gun, then getting money back. All with fake name? Stuff like this is what makes me HIGHLY skeptical of the writing. I have "heard" for decades warning people could buy a gun off the net with fake names, never really believed it. I know when I have bought a gun off the net they sure knew who I was. Maybe you really can just buy guns off the net then? Color me doubtful.
I have also heard for a long time not to use PayPal to sell firearm accessories. Warned that if the seller just never sends stuff and you tell PP you were using them to buy stuff they do not like they would not lift a finger to help. This story is saying its the opposite of that. That I can buy a bump stock, tell PP they never sent it to me, that PP will then put the money back in my account, that I made with a fake name? Again doubtful. Of course I did not stay in a Holiday Inn last night and do not claim expertise on US banking law, so maybe. I am still VERY doubtful we are being told the whole truth here in these "news" stories about this asshat. No doubt he was pulling some scam, and is in jail, just highly dubious of the reporting in both of these stories about him.

The media always simplifies. Here is the actual complaint: https://www.justice.gov/usao-sc/press-release/file/1274326/download

He had multiple accounts under multiple names and he did use an FFL who confirmed he picked up a firearm, but it seems his "best" scam was to buy the gun, have it shipped to an FFL, and then while the package was in transit, have it shipped to a non-FFL other location and go pick it up. He could then say the FFL never received it and reverse the transaction

View attachment 695192
DAMN! Now that one should get places like Gun Broker shut down then. If you really can buy guns off the net and have them sent to you with no FFL? I am shocked the Feds have not cut off buying guns this way.

DAMN! Now that one should get places like Gun Broker shut down then. If you really can buy guns off the net and have them sent to you with no FFL? I am shocked the Feds have not cut off buying guns this way.

Yeah -- that's a pretty shocking hole, but he didn't directly have them sent to a non-FFL address, what he did was pick an FFL, have them shipped to that FFL, and while it was in transit, change the delivery address to a non-FFL location. I suspect FedEx will fix this and find a way to make deliveries that are initiated to an FFL, unable to be rerouted.

As for the bank account stuff -- fraudsters can be pretty tricky. I don't doubt he was able to get multiple accounts under multiple names. If he had applied his talents to legal pursuits, he probably could have done pretty well in the long run, especially compared to the prison time he's likely to do.

Yeah -- that's a pretty shocking hole, but he didn't directly have them sent to a non-FFL address, what he did was pick an FFL, have them shipped to that FFL, and while it was in transit, change the delivery address to a non-FFL location. I suspect FedEx will fix this and find a way to make deliveries that are initiated to an FFL, unable to be rerouted.

As for the bank account stuff -- fraudsters can be pretty tricky. I don't doubt he was able to get multiple accounts under multiple names. If he had applied his talents to legal pursuits, he probably could have done pretty well in the long run, especially compared to the prison time he's likely to do.
Damn they better and in a damn hurry. Some mass shooter kook gets a gun this way and the law makers will react by just shutting down this kind of gun sales. I can already see some lawmakers grandstanding for some new damn law.:mad:

Well, whatever happens to the scammer guy, he will probably end up in Federal court. And the Fed judges hand out years in prison like you hand out candy to kids at Halloween. By the time he gets out we will probably be able to buy that energy blast weapon Wesely Snipes used in Demolition Man. I have no sympathy for the guy. Nothing inherently wrong with owning 90 guns, but when you scam them to your house and they catch you researching mass shootings...this is the type of guy we do NOT want owning any gun later down the road. He's the guy who gives the excuse to people why it's okay to go around the 2nd. He is bad medicine, as the Sioux might say.

I hope they throw the book at him, and then add on some more.

Wait...

Criminals are sneaky and can figure out how to play the system and do whatever they want?

Then that must make all gun control, pointless. :eek:

Wait...

Criminals are sneaky and can figure out how to play the system and do whatever they want?

Then that must make all gun control, pointless. :eek:

It sure proved that way here. This guy figured out how to get free guns without a BGC on the internet -- something no law abiding gun owner can do. His screw-up was picking the packages up himself and getting caught on surveillance cameras, as well as a few early transactions where he left a direct paper trail with an FFL to get the authorities on his tail.

One of the articles I read mentioned PayPal, so maybe it is easier to do fake identity there? I don't know -- I haven't used PayPal in at least ten years.

Paypal is easy to reverse charges on the seller , And they also will never back up a firearms deal.paypal was purchased by ebay about years ago. Commiefornia based company's are not our freind. The folks that were ripped off will probaby have a hard time being made whole.Ebay has totally banned any .7.62 x 39 parts for sale . Usps money orders or greenbacks is the only way to go .

I told the ATF and FBI about this guy a year ago. he scammed me and Paypal for a few firearms , Wire Fraud.

What did the 2 agencies SAY to you? Did they come to see you in person and take a FULL REPORT - both agencies?

Was it an over the telephone report? A email report deal?

I thought that Paypal was anti gun and had NOTHING to do with firearms, gun parts, etc. just like CRAIGSLIST was and still is ANTI GUN.

I never used Paypal or those types of sale systems and I have always heard BAD things about them too. Some people never get their money back from PP even if they were honest and it had nothing to do with a firearm sale.

PP has held people and their money HOSTAGE by taking their money and not giving it back.

They have SHUT DOWN people who had forums, radio shows, etc. by NOT letting those people use their system as they always used them in the past too. And I am not talking about people like AJ either. I am talking about people who do not follow the FAR LEFT or the SJW type of thinking.

I am sorry that this happened to you. Did you ever get your money back or are you still trying to get it back?

Cate

Paypal is easy to reverse charges on the seller , And they also will never back up a firearms deal.paypal was purchased by ebay about years ago. Commiefornia based company's are not our freind. The folks that were ripped off will probaby have a hard time being made whole.Ebay has totally banned any .7.62 x 39 parts for sale . Usps money orders or greenbacks is the only way to go .

Yes, all of those places are totally ANTI GUN.

Some of them have been anti gun for a LONG time. I know that I have read about many of those companies for years on end.

I heard a lot of horror stories where they screwed people royally even if the SALE had nothing to do with firearms. Just a mere association with some freedom sounding NAME or group or whatever.

Cate

The story does not make sense to me that he changed the address from one FFL to some other place.

Maybe I missed something!

Confused Old Lady Cate

No, whenever I want an account, I go to my bank and open one. There is no limit on the number of accounts a person may have.

^^^

This is true!

I used to have more bank and credit union accounts too. I still have a few and so does my MT husband. I had them back east and out here.

I kept one OLD JOINT bank account (Over 30 years old.) open for a time frame after my late husband died until all of his cancer medical bills were paid. I paid ALL bills in full when they came in for ALL things as ALWAYS. When you deal with MEDICAL insurance companies and WAIT for them to pay what they are required to pay according to their CONTRACT - you know how that goes! Hurry up and wait!

I never used PP or anything like that.

Mine were for incoming pensions, a land contract sale on my former house AND the buyers had the option to buy me out and pay me in full at any time, another account when I remarried from being a widow - we have a prenuptial agreement, an account that was used specifically for my husband when he retired, etc.

Banks and credit unions that know you or do not know you if you are a new customer still REQUIRE full information.

I wonder how the man passed the BANK Chex System Background Check!

Were his 'cards' or checks/cash with a bank or credit union or with some card company that did not TIE into a brick/mortar financial institution like many others that are out there?

You still need to provide FULL, complete, honest and accurate information as an OLD (Over 30 year customer!) customer even in the SAME financial institution and as a new customer at any bank or credit union.

I still do not understand how this criminal did all of these things and could stop something in the middle of it being shipped and so forth.

Cate

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews