JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The 'straw man' cliche rolls off my back...it's a term used to dismiss someone else's argument and gain traction for ones own.

Actually, neither of you appear to understand what a straw man argument is. A "straw man" is a common form of argument and is an informal fallacy based on giving the impression of refuting an opponent's argument, while actually refuting an argument that was not advanced by that opponent.

It is a most valid point to make in an argument when it is appropriate. But I don't see that you did that, so it would indeed be incorrect to make such an allegation.

A "red herring" is a fallacious argument that introduces an irrelevant topic into a discussion in order to divert the attention of readers from the original issue.

When you say 'you' do you mean me or people in general because I certainly can equate the two. A predator is a predator and a sheepdog is built to notice the difference.

The 'straw man' cliche rolls off my back...it's a term used to dismiss someone else's argument and gain traction for ones own.

Face the facts, the guy was creeping out...he was up to no good...he was clearly a red flag and that problem needed to be addressed.

False, you are distracting from the point at hand, and are projecting your own deflection onto me. I'm calling you on it.

If you want to arrest and charge people for crimes that have not yet been committed, skipping the whole step of "conspiracy," that's on you, and I would say such a mindset threatens every single person on this website. As gun owners what qualifies as an attempt to hurt a cop? "Oh you were pulled over for speeding and have a gun, clearly you were speeding to bait me into pulling you over so you could kill me."

ASININE.

If you want to arrest and charge people for crimes that have not yet been committed, skipping the whole step of "conspiracy," that's on you, and I would say such a mindset threatens every single person on this website.

Conspiracy has nothing to do with this case. In order to have a criminal conspiracy, you must have two or more people involved.

What could be relevant would be whether he "attempted" a crime. In Oregon, an attempted crime is defined as being when "the person intentionally engages in conduct which constitutes a substantial step toward commission of the crime."

That is a pretty broad definition. Many other states have a much more precise legal definition of what an attempted crime is.

I think that this incident just goes to show that Portland has zero tolerance for gun crime, and will no doubt throw the book at anyone that the DA considers to be dangerous.

In light of quotes of what the DA has said about this case, I would expect that the amount and type of ammunition that he had with him will be used against him in court, to paint him out as being a dangerous threat.

And in today's news....

PORTLAND, Ore. (AP) — A man arrested last month after he monitored a Portland police precinct from a car loaded with weapons is back behind bars after authorities say he violated terms of his pretrial release.
<broken link removed>

[QUOTE="cascadianliberty2012, post:
Let's say you own guns and have expressed dissatisfaction with the government. Can you be arrested for attempted assault of _____?
[/QUOTE]

Sadly, those days are just around the corner. Right now it is "almost" a punishable crime to be a conservative, specially if you have even been associated with "the tea party".

The IRS can be directed to make your life miserable just because of your political beliefs.

If the hildabeast gets elected how long do you think it will really be before just being a conservative, owning guns and publicly expressing dissatisfaction with the gov will get you arrested?

Right now a law is about to be passed in WA, and it is going to pass, where they can and WILL confiscate every gun you own when ever "they" feel like it.

Most of us will be deemed "too dangerous" to be allowed to own guns 10 years from now and will be arrested if we don't like it when they come to confiscate your guns.

Waiting for the Department of Happiness to be created. Then, not being happy will be an arrestable offense.

I think this is the endgame when there are no more moves on the table. Anyone remember what that is called?

Kinda sorta like what a restraining order is - IE being obtained for something someone 'might' do.

Same thing as WA initiative 1491; They'll take away someones guns, without due process, not for what a person has done, but for what they might do.

Ray

Well, this man's attorney managed to get him a plea bargain. He basically pled guilty to the lessor misdemeanor charge, had the felony charger against him dropped, and he was given 3 years of probation.

The terms of his probation are such, that he cannot talk to any police officers for these next 3 years. Nor may he own or possess any firearms during his probation.

The judge ordered the firearms in his current gun collection to all be destroyed.

Man who video-recorded police from parked car -- stocked with guns -- gets probation

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top