JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Man injured when rifle barrel explodes during target practice

WTH??

There is just sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much wrong with this.

He actually admits that he never checked the gun was clear before he fired it after getting it back from the 'smith.

From MY POV, putting a muzzle brake on a muzzle-loading or inline is like putting one on a fire hose - it looks real spiffy, but sends out the message that you are some kind of a wuss.

tac, continually amazed at my fellow shooters.

I wonder if he used smokeless powder , instead of black powder or its equivalent in Pyrodex or the like?
Or maybe a overload...I wish I had a dollar for every time I heard:
"You can't overload those muzzleloaders , just dump some powder in" :eek:
I also agree with a tac 'bout muzzle brakes on a muzzle loading rifle ...really?....They do not kick that much.

Edit to add:
After re-watching the video I saw what appeared to be a blue box of centerfire cartridges... I hope one of those did not make their way into the rifle somehow.
Andy

Last Edited:
"Its possible he left the bullet in there and the powder from last season"

. How.
While I think that it is best to clear your rifle in the field after the hunt by shooting your load...
At times some folks will keep a load in their rifle.
I have done this myself.
What I do to remind myself of having a loaded rifle is to slide a piece of red cloth between the ramrod and the barrel near the muzzle.
Also if doing this , remove the priming / cap beforehand.

As to the "How?":
During a "cleaning"* a tightly loaded muzzle loader might prevent solvent from reaching the powder which could otherwise cause the powder to be too damp to fire...one then forgets that the gun already has a charge ...loads a fresh charge over the old charge and BOOM!

* cleaning is in quotes 'cause it is always best to make sure the gun is empty before cleaning.
Andy

I wonder if he used smokeless powder , instead of black powder or its equivalent in Pyrodex or the like?
Or maybe a overload...I wish I had a dollar for every time I heard:
"You can't overload those muzzleloaders , just dump some powder in" :eek:
I also agree with a tac 'bout muzzle brakes on a muzzle loading rifle ...really?....They do not kick that much.

Edit to add:
After re-watching the video I saw what appeared to be a blue box of centerfire cartridges... I hope one of those did not make their way into the rifle somehow.
Andy

I'm racking my brains trying to figure out how you can load a cartridge into an in-line rifle.

It might well have a bolt, but that only gives access to the placement of a #209 shotgun primer, right?

tac, still puzzled by almost everything.

I'm racking my brains trying to figure out how you can load a cartridge into an in-line rifle.
Drop it down the muzzle?... I've seen dumber things done.

Again I am not sure if a centerfire cartridge made its way into the rifle in question... I said that I saw what appeared to be a blue box of centerfire cartridges and that I hope that one did not go into the rifle.

I have no idea how one would load a centerfire cartridge in a muzzleloader , unless you removed the breech , many in-line have a easy to remove breech block for cleaning or dropped down the bore.... Again I have seen dumber things done.
edit to add about the bolt...
Yep you operate the bolt like any other bolt action rifle ... but yes it only allows access to the primer.
Andy

Last Edited:
Again I am not sure if a centerfire cartridge made its way into the rifle in question... I said that I saw what appeared to be a blue box of centerfire cartridges and that I hope that one did not go into the rifle.
Even if a cartridge DID make in into the barrel how would the 209 primer set it off? Heat transfer to the LRP on the cartridge? After watching the video with the guys that were INTENTIONALLY testing a ML rifle to determine what will in fact destroy them this almost looks like what happened to theirs with a heavy load of smokless powder. This was NOT a BP failure!

If it had a double load, whoever cleaned it didn't remove the breech plug. The guy could have put a double in it himself. I shoot the same rifle and more than once have been talking and reloading at the range and screwed up a load. I have always caught it though.

If it had a double load, whoever cleaned it didn't remove the breech plug.
Under normal circumstances there is little reason to remove the breech plug. Even if this were a double load chances are the one on top would most likely be just blown out. Even if it did ignite it would probably shoot somewhat normally but I would suspect a bulge in the barrel as the worst outcome. Everyone has a 'depth gauge' with their ML rifle - the ram rod and one should know how much of it sticks out of the barrel with various loads - and a double would leave nearly twice the length sticking out. I am still with the possibility of them trying smokless powder.

Man injured when rifle barrel explodes during target practice

WTH??

There is just sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much wrong with this.

He actually admits that he never checked the gun was clear before he fired it after getting it back from the 'smith.

From MY POV, putting a muzzle brake on a muzzle-loading or inline is like putting one on a fire hose - it looks real spiffy, but sends out the message that you are some kind of a wuss.

tac, continually amazed at my fellow shooters.

I know this is heartless, but WTF was this idiot thinking? If you can't follow the basic rules of firearm safety and you insist on shooting them anyway? I have no problem with Darwin taking your genes out of the pool.

'kaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay. Here's the skinny on this thing, for want of a better name.....

'The Remington 700 Ultimate Muzzleloader, however, makes it unnecessary to fondle with a number of small 209-type shotshell primers, which have to be carefully hand-picked and inserted in their seat prior to firing.

Remington's new In-Line muzzleloader sports the same rotating bolt as the Model 700 rifle, which allows a special pre-loaded brass, featuring a Remington 9 ½ large magnum rifle primer, to be push-fed into the breech plug much like a centerfire rifle round would be chambered in a single-shot bolt-action.

The new system, dubbed the AMP ("Accelerated Muzzleloader Performance") allows easier and quicker loading, and also creates a gas seal in the flash hole of the primer. The result allows the shooter to load up to 200 grains of powder for increased range, energy, and on-game performance. Particularly, using 200 grains of convenient <broken link removed> , the Remington 700 Ultimate Muzzleloader rifle can provide muzzle energy levels that will reach well over 2400 feet per second (730 m/s approx.), allowing the ball to remain lethal within 300 yards (over 270 metres) and constantly offering 1" groups at 100 yards (2,5cm. groups at around 91 metres).'

I've got an even BETTER idea, Remington. Why not put the charge of more modern powder actually INSIDE that spiffy brass cartridge, put the bullet on TOP of it, and then kinda machine out that breech until the WHOLE cartridge case, containing the charge AND the bullet, goes into the breech. After you've figured out a way to get the powder to go of, maybe by having a primer IN THE CENTRE of the cartridge case, so that the doohicky on the bolt thingummajig can hit it and set it off.

Hell, you could even call it a 'metallic cartridge' and sell millions of 'em in different sizes for different uses. I bet you'd make a mint!

tac [sarcastic is my middle name] foley

Not into muzzle loading but I was like wth are they talking about? That's a regular CF rifle. Didn't know that's what they are passing off as muzzle loaders now. Excuse my ignorance. Lol.
Based on what I saw, seems plausible that they used modern powder vs BP and it literally pealed the barrel like a Bugs Bunny cartoon.

Not into muzzle loading but I was like wth are they talking about? That's a regular CF rifle. Didn't know that's what they are passing off as muzzle loaders now. Excuse my ignorance. Lol.
Based on what I saw, seems plausible that they used modern powder vs BP and it literally pealed the barrel like a Bugs Bunny cartoon.

Uh, please re-read my post, taken from the Remington website...

'Remington's new In-Line muzzleloader sports the same rotating bolt as the Model 700 rifle, which allows a special pre-loaded brass, featuring a Remington 9 ½ large magnum rifle primer, to be push-fed into the breech plug much like a centerfire rifle round would be chambered in a single-shot bolt-action.

The new system, dubbed the AMP ("Accelerated Muzzleloader Performance") allows easier and quicker loading, and also creates a gas seal in the flash hole of the primer. The result allows the shooter to load up to 200 grains of powder for increased range, energy, and on-game performance. Particularly, using 200 grains of convenient <broken link removed> , the Remington 700 Ultimate Muzzleloader rifle can provide muzzle energy levels that will reach well over 2400 feet per second (730 m/s approx.), allowing the ball to remain lethal within 300 yards (over 270 metres) and constantly offering 1" groups at 100 yards (2,5cm. groups at around 91 metres).'

'kay?

tac

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class