JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Thanks for answering again. We're all your mags of the same variety mil spec metal AR15 variety? I want to make sure I'm understanding what you are saying. If there is one better to modify over the other or if you modified a few of the same type but still experienced feed problems even though they were same type mags to begin with?
Since it was a while back I dont remember exactly. I think my goal was to see if I could get the cheapest possible milspec metal AR15 magazine to work. The upper just seemed extra finicky and some worked great and others didnt work well and I put them back on 5.56 duty. I think that probably 75% of the ones I modified worked great and I marked them 50 beo only. So basically test them out one by one to make sure your rifle likes them.

Thanks so much for sharing your experience. That's good advice that I will follow as I'm going to try to copy your creation. It's not like I'm going to mass produce them as $1.50 a round means I won't be carrying lots of mags filled with this ammo anyway. If I get 2 that work well I will be really happy

Well done!! I make mags for my .308 Galil by modifying M-1A/14 mags with a Dremel and spot welding hand filed/ground front/rear lugs to them, because factory mags are as scarce as hen's teeth, and SPENDY.

I can't say I'm a fan of plastic mags, and only use USGI/STANAG mags in my AR's, including my 6.8SPC (with a 6.8 follower). I've NEVER had any issues with one in 30-yrs since I first laid hands on an M16A1 in basic training.

I've had a macked-up AK47 mag that was corroded just enough inside at the middle that you could only put 7 rounds in it before it goobered up.
Lemme do an experiment with some hdrochloric strong acid at my workshop using that goober mag.

You're a helluva lot matter than me if you know how to use and program a 3D printer. I grew up using slide rule and rotary dial phones LOL. Don't know if you were joking, but would be cool if you knew how to do that! Amazes me I see kids under 5 navigating iPhone apps like rocket scientist and I struggle texting on my "smartphone" LOL

Yeah, some failure to feeds with the round just getting hung up somehow.
Hi Doc.
I shoot a .458 SoCom and here is something I found that stops that, "Last round hangup" caused by using a 5.56 follower. It' eliminates that bump in the middle of the follower that staggers the 5.56 cases, but forces a larger case to drag on the feed lips It's called a, "Single shot follower" by Fulton Armory.com

Using these followers and notching the front of my magazines has cured any FTF i was experiencing.
I also cast my my own bullets and I figure I'm shooting my .458 SoCom for about .38 cents a round.
Single Shot Follower Fulton Armory.com.gif

You're a helluva lot matter than me if you know how to use and program a 3D printer. I grew up using slide rule and rotary dial phones LOL. Don't know if you were joking, but would be cool if you knew how to do that! Amazes me I see kids under 5 navigating iPhone apps like rocket scientist and I struggle texting on my "smartphone" LOL
I grew up with mechanical drawing / drafting still being an elective.. by the time I finished military training, everything was well on its way to being CAD. Now you can get a 3D printer mailed to your door for 175$. I have made a receiver on it to mount your AK47 parts kits lol. Gun control is over.

Cool, how do you load a program into it to make whatever it is you want to manufacture? That sounds awesome. How does the material get loaded into it? Guess I'll find out after I move to Idaho. I'll get my youngest son to show me. He used to be a tooling engineer for Boeing and has several patents and I think I remember him saying he fabricated some stuff with a 3 d printer. I rely on him for all.my computer needs LOL

I guess it probably isn't as simple as putting and obsect in and hitting a button that says copy like a zerox machine. We used mimeographs when I was young. First time I saw axerox machine it blew my mind LOL guess you can tell I'm older than dirt!

I guess it probably isn't as simple as putting and obsect in and hitting a button that says copy like a zerox machine. We used mimeographs when I was young. First time I saw axerox machine it blew my mind LOL guess you can tell I'm older than dirt!
There are scanners that can turn your physical object into a file to do that! Setting up the machine and fine tuning the temp and feed settings are the only challenge. The material on mine feeds off of a spool like a mig welder. There are x,y, and z axis that just layer by layer makes the object. It's way more attainable than you think.

I'm gonna have to research it and get one. Love tools! Can never have too many LOL. Thanks so much! I didn't know it would be that reasonable and it sound like even and old dog like me ought to be able to learn a new trick

I'm gonna have to research it and get one. Love tools! Can never have too many LOL. Thanks so much! I didn't know it would be that reasonable and it sound like even and old dog like me ought to be able to learn a new trick
Of you can use tools and have the computer ability to save a picture or send an email you can learn to print files. Editing and making new files can be laborious but there is so much out there already done for you and the community has a very helpful and supportive following

Thanks It! Your enthusiasm and confidence is inspiring! I really appreciate that and it's one of the things I love about this site.... That and the sometime twisted sense of humor that's sometimes displayed ( fun sarcasm etc) is also great. Laughter is good, specially when it's all done in fun and not maliciously. Takes me back to my military days fifty + years ago. We were always joking and pulling pranks on each other but had a common purpose and all came together when TSHF.... Got us thru everything! Laughing at each other and ourself got us thru anything

Thanks It! Your enthusiasm and confidence is inspiring! I really appreciate that and it's one of the things I love about this site.... That and the sometime twisted sense of humor that's sometimes displayed ( fun sarcasm etc) is also great. Laughter is good, specially when it's all done in fun and not maliciously. Takes me back to my military days fifty + years ago. We were always joking and pulling pranks on each other but had a common purpose and all came together when TSHF.... Got us thru everything! Laughing at each other and ourself got us thru anything
Yes sir me too, but only 15 years. If you want a twisted sense of humor look at this setting in the "ender" printer. Gun control is literally obsolete with these things and the files already out there. Can't ban knowledge

5F1D9781-4BC5-462E-80A5-BA3C6AA2F113.jpeg

Thank God for that! The Democrat anti-gun zealots are a perfect representation of George Orwell's 1984 in action, complete with doublespeak, curtailment of civil liberty and rights and attempts to enact thought time. Really sad for America!

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top