JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have a Blackhawk backpack internal frame sheet with 2 metal stays that are roughly 24"x13.5" that covers the entirety of a 12" 6.5 Grendel AR broken down with some space to spare.. I could possibly do something that has both padding and plastic reinforcement that would open up, and look more like a large laptop bag in a non-tactical color/look? 20210919_151141.jpg

Sounds like we're thinking similarly, but looking for something in-between the Midway and Blackhawk in size. Don't know when I'll be able to proceed with all the crap piling up on the homefront, but I think we have a tentative plan once I get stuff here squared away.

For comparison, the longest piece of mine is actually the lower assembly--QRB leaves the upper on the lower but just pulls the barrel unit straight out the front once unlatched.

Sounds like we're thinking similarly, but looking for something in-between the Midway and Blackhawk in size. Don't know when I'll be able to proceed with all the crap piling up on the homefront, but I think we have a tentative plan once I get stuff here squared away.

For comparison, the longest piece of mine is actually the lower assembly--QRB leaves the upper on the lower but just pulls the barrel unit straight out the front once unlatched.
Right, I don't got a quick release barrel, so that's where my sizing comes in, which would.make it more... universal for those with standard SBR/pistols.

In my case, that might make a skinnier case if I pivot from four mags on a flat to two in shingles at the end. QRB system is only about 2.5" across for the widest piece of the gun.

Double bonus if it makes room for a tray of clutter "role camouflage" on top tat can be quickly ripped out.

In my case, that might make a skinnier case if I pivot from four mags on a flat to two in shingles at the end. QRB system is only about 2.5" across for the widest piece of the gun.

Double bonus if it makes room for a tray of clutter "role camouflage" on top tat can be quickly ripped out.
Could arrange it so that it's double hidden; when opened only see a laptop or briefs/paperwork stuff with the gun and stuff hidden in what looks like a laptop sleeve?

That could work well!

If I had a blank check budget and unlimited manufacturing skill, my first thought would be to make a double-sided leather-covered hardside briefcase with a lid and latches on each side, like those trick boxes magicians use. Open with one side up you have laptop/papers/innocuous everyday stuff, open the other and you're kitting to take down an Active Shooter. Pipedream would be a layer of plate, but at ten pounds of AR this thing would already be pretty heavy...

Then again, carrying books that weigh 5lb each themselves is not exactly unusual for me. LOL

That could work well!

If I had a blank check budget and unlimited manufacturing skill, my first thought would be to make a double-sided leather-covered hardside briefcase with a lid and latches on each side, like those trick boxes magicians use. Open with one side up you have laptop/papers/innocuous everyday stuff, open the other and you're kitting to take down an Active Shooter. Pipedream would be a layer of plate, but at ten pounds of AR this thing would already be pretty heavy...

Then again, carrying books that weigh 5lb each themselves is not exactly unusual for me. LOL
Old leather/metal briefcase?

Acquired 500D Green ERDL. Shown on far left, with Taiwan sourced 400-420D Nylon Pack cloth/Nylon Duck in "woodland" in middle, and US sourced 500D Cordura Woodland (same as MOLLE Woodland, which I also have in 1000D Cordura)
Seems the Taiwan "woodland" uses ERDL colors, or at least very close to the same colors, just in US Woodland scale/pattern, which is larger and more sharp edged than ERDL. DSCF6784.JPG

Beacon Fabrics used to sell the Taiwan sourced material, but I think Seattle Fabrics and Para Gear also sells it.. I could be wrong and they're not the same. Might have to order from them just to compare later on. 🤔 Para Gear also lists this "MIL-C-7219 Type III Class 3 only applies to Olive Drab and Sage Green. The rest of the colors are commercial equivalent." For the 420D fabric they sell. If the Olive is actually the same Olive as seen on old ALICE and not the later Camo Green... then could be good for modifying old ALICE rucks

Seems the Taiwan fabric I have was indeed Taiwan military from the 1990s.. would make sense since they now have pixel digital camouflage uniforms, that companies are importing the fabric from Taiwan to sell on the commercial market..

Looking at the uniform and the body armor of this female Taiwan reservist;

c878f746c628cb577048c3b6e991c3c9.jpg

New fabrics to play with.

Ordered from ParaGear;

"420D Spring Green Camouflage". Looks like it's based on the USMC Frog Skin/ Duck Hunter camo pattern shapes but with unique colorways. Green base is way too shiny in the sun to be of real use in gear, but might make for interesting rucksacks/backpacks. Honestly surprised that it wasn't the Taiwan 420D woodland. Shown next to 0241 Tactical's Green Dominant ERDL 500D Cordura fabric, which itself is way more bright Green than standard Woodland.
DSCF6819.JPG DSCF6816.JPG DSCF6815.JPG

Also ordered 420D "mil spec Olive Drab" from ParaGear. Looks uncoated (same finish both sides).
From left to right; Rockywoods' 400D Olive Green imported, Ebay 500D dark Olive (used on @Stomper 'S rig), and the ParaGear 420D Olive Drab, next to the Spring Green camo. It reminds me of the 1960s Lightweight and Tropical rucksack as well as M1967 Nylon pouches...
DSCF6818.JPG

I admit, I am sort of hoarding gear fabrics. Can't help it when I've been trying to get something to match some stuff, and good deals pop up on Ebay and other fabric sales sites :s0140:
DSCF6825.JPG
Left to right; military greens
1000D-Camo Green 483-Ebay
1000D-Camo Green 483-Ebay
500D-Camo Green 483-Ebay
500D-Ranger Green-Rockywoods
DSCF6826.JPG
Left to right, Olives
1000D OD-Amazon
1000D OD-Ripstop By the roll
500D OD -Ebay-Stompers rig
500D OD-Rockywoods
420D OD-Rockywoods
420D OD-ParaGear
DSCF6827.JPG
Top-1000D Khaki tan-Rockywoods
Left to right
500D Tan 499-Ebay
1000D Tan 499-Ebay
1000D Coyote Brown-Ebay
500D Coyote Brown-Ebay
500D Coyote Brown-Ebay
200D Coyote Brown-Rockywoods
DSCF6820.JPG
Top 500D Woodland-Ebay and Rockywoods(also have 1000D from Ebay)
420D Taiwan Woodland-Beacon Fabrics; Seattle Fabrics maybe same
Left to right
420D Spring Camouflage-Paragear
500D Green ERDL-0241 Tactical
500D VN Tigerstripe-Rockywoods
500D Tadpole Tigerstripe-0241 Tactical
500D USN AOR2-Rockywoods
500D Brown AOR2/DGIII-Ebay
1000D Hyperstealth Spec4ce/Afghan Digital forest-Rockywoods; also have uniform fabric from Magna Fabrics/Amazon

Ebay and Rockywoods are where I get most of the fabrics apparently.

The saga of finding the "right" shade of green or olive for T70 thread.... particularly to match something sewn in the 1990s...

Continues. Almost ready to get back into making gear but I gotta make sure my elderly mom is okay and finish up everything needed to finish before I take on more projects.
DSCF7075.JPG DSCF7074.JPG

From left to right, all T70 bonded Nylon thread

1 spool Ebay I think? Ranger Green

2 spools Etsy Olive Drab

2 spools light Olive Drab from Ebay

1 spool Ebay Foliage Green

2 spools Ebay "Olive Drab N22"

1 spool Ebay USGI Camo Green 483

Guess I'll have to see about ordering imported T70 bonded nylon threads... there are Dunmore, Guttermann and Amann threads. Mandala Crafts doesn't seem to have a stellar reputation though.

The thread I'm trying to match :rolleyes:
I do have a close enough OD binding tape from Jontay webbing.
20220817_130112.jpg
20220817_133634.jpg
Parts of a long term vest project,
20220217_144404.jpg
Currently I plan to use it more as a jumping off point for a few custom vests somewhat based on these pieces..
But this is what the completed vest and parts usually looks like
FB_IMG_1629053337656.jpg FB_IMG_1629053342111.jpg FB_IMG_1629053346092.jpg FB_IMG_1629053349473.jpg FB_IMG_1629053352923.jpg

The hardest parts to acquire were the little metal hooks.. sourced from thrift store Camp Trails Korean made backpacks of all places... the most expensive parts are those danged Perma-Lock Twist Lock fasteners from Sailrite;$14 for 5 pack or $278 for 100 pack with no in-between quantities.

Here's what I'm thinking might be a decent idea.

A Medium ALICE, or close to that size... zipperless "assault pack" that's a top loader (or roll top with floating lid?)... MOLLE PALS around it... can accept Blackhawk internal frame sheet with metal stays, and also can fit ALICE/FILBE frames; to be capable of scaling up from bare bag to large ALICE external size with a separate sleeping bag carrier...

Internally, it would have both velcro and MOLLE for organizing stuff, and probably a Camelbak loop or two...

At its smallest; it would be close to the size of most 3 day bags, but it would also be lighter and not prone to blown zippers by having no zippers?

Any interest in doing something like this, but for a 11" barreled SBR?

View attachment 1740905
Maybe. See this layout I mocked up, on a Blackhawk internal frame sheet for a backpack.. I can source the polyethylene sheeting and foam padding for a case but I would think SBR take-down cases exists already? Or.. couldn't use a large laptop case? Or some variation thereof. 20210919_151141.jpg

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews