JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I doubt this will pertain to many people but just in case. I got a Alexander arms 50 beowulf upper recently. The upper comes with one magazine. Replacement mags are hard to find, cost in the $26-30 range. And many people complain about the tilting follower that likes to stick.

Turns out the magazines are just metal AR magazines with slight modifications.

the only difference is the front lip of the magazine has been ground down so that the head of bullet does not catch when chambering.

Here is the alexander arms one on the top and my modified one on the bottom
SZoUoAs.jpg

The red line here indicates where I had to modify
nJ0R6po.jpg

Finally, replaced the follower with a magpul self-leveling follower so it does not tilt and get bound up when putting in rounds

ngfJW9G.jpg

So a $30 mag can be made with a <$7 metal AR mag like one of these
<broken link removed>

with a non-tilting follower for about $1.80 each
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/23...-magazine-follower-ar-15-polymer-package-of-3

I did try a PMAG but the polymer is just not strong enough to hold the rounds in place and it starts to bow out.

Well done!! I make mags for my .308 Galil by modifying M-1A/14 mags with a Dremel and spot welding hand filed/ground front/rear lugs to them, because factory mags are as scarce as hen's teeth, and SPENDY.

I can't say I'm a fan of plastic mags, and only use USGI/STANAG mags in my AR's, including my 6.8SPC (with a 6.8 follower). I've NEVER had any issues with one in 30-yrs since I first laid hands on an M16A1 in basic training.

I've had a macked-up AK47 mag that was corroded just enough inside at the middle that you could only put 7 rounds in it before it goobered up.

How do you like the beowulf? I have a friend who has one who has tried and tried to talk me into buying it. He wants like a grand though (it does come with a few mags and some ammo)

Seems like it would be fun, but I dont know that I would shoot it enough to justify having it.

How do you like the beowulf? I have a friend who has one who has tried and tried to talk me into buying it. He wants like a grand though (it does come with a few mags and some ammo)

Seems like it would be fun, but I dont know that I would shoot it enough to justify having it.

Just got the upper a few days ago and ammo and the lower yesterday. So my only experience is loading mags so far. at $1.50 a round I wont be shooting it too much, but I wanted a 50 caliber something and this was the least expensive way I figured out how to do it.

Yeah I have looked at the Tactilite, I think as far as drop on .50 BMG uppers its the one to have. I think if I had a good place to shoot it I could come up with the dough but right now it seems pointless to tie the money up in one simply because I have no good place to play. If you dont have 1000 yards at least its not really .50 worthy

Went out shooting today the last few rounds in the mag are snagging on the lip of the brass. Rounded it out with the dremel and it should be fine now. even did this with the factory mag.

pJwXg5V.jpg

After
GAxnyLB.jpg

I doubt this will pertain to many people but just in case. I got a Alexander arms 50 beowulf upper recently. The upper comes with one magazine. Replacement mags are hard to find, cost in the $26-30 range. And many people complain about the tilting follower that likes to stick.

Turns out the magazines are just metal AR magazines with slight modifications.

the only difference is the front lip of the magazine has been ground down so that the head of bullet does not catch when chambering.

Here is the alexander arms one on the top and my modified one on the bottom
View attachment 211236

The red line here indicates where I had to modify
View attachment 211237

Finally, replaced the follower with a magpul self-leveling follower so it does not tilt and get bound up when putting in rounds

View attachment 211238

So a $30 mag can be made with a <$7 metal AR mag like one of these
<broken link removed>

with a non-tilting follower for about $1.80 each
Magpul Enhanced Self Leveling Mag Follower AR-15 Polymer Yellow Pack

I did try a PMAG but the polymer is just not strong enough to hold the rounds in place and it starts to bow out.
Does the non-tilt follower you reference have to be caliber specific? Thanks so much for sharing your experience modifying cheap mags for the 50 Beowulf round! What a great idea!

Thanks for answering again. We're all your mags of the same variety mil spec metal AR15 variety? I want to make sure I'm understanding what you are saying. If there is one better to modify over the other or if you modified a few of the same type but still experienced feed problems even though they were same type mags to begin with?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top