JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Not sure if there is one posted here.
There are on other sites, but was wondering if some would care to share theirs.
Grown locally....
LOL

I have posted my Major 9mm loads on some of the other sites for the old COMP I ran but
Now I am moving on to an 11 port SJC .

Bullet MFG and weights 115gr and 124
And bullet types, RN plated, HP, FMJ, Etc.
Powders and their weights
Barrel lengths and brand
Comp type and port count
Holes before comp if any
And FPS / Power factor

Gun type maybe..... not as important as the above questions.

With several surgeries out if the way now.
I'm coming back to play.
Thanks to all!

Last Edited:
I've always been curious about 9mm major. It's the main reason I won't pick up a 9mm cartridge off the ground and shoot it. :D

Well a few things prior or giving out load info in case someone new gets an idea to shoot it.

More important than worring about picking cases up off the ground is using the same head stamp during load development and beyond. Asking for which case is an important factor when you ask for load data. Differenences between case volumes and wall thicknesses from manufacturers can cause a delta in about 4k of pressure in a factor 9mm load per the loading manuals. Let that sink in, once you make it a major load that 4k goes up dramatically. Also the rim dimensions vary by around .017" so that will cause extraction issues. Stand back and watch some guns that bounce cases in all different directions.

Next the aol is critical since for every .010" deeper you seat the bullet on a minor load the pressure increases 10-11k (per the manuals). So if you increase the powder for major and don't increase the oal the pressure increases exponentially. Not good or safe for you or your gun.

Taking these two things into consideration will save you down the line. Also peak pressure is very high so running a minimum of a 124 grain bullet will help. Plated rounds don't hold up due to the peak pressure, I know someone will argue about this and the above info so if you don't believe me just move on or start collecting data. So having said that here is my data.

Basic load (adjusted slightly for different guns)
Montana Gold 124 grain HP jacketed bullet
7.0 Winchester Auto Comp
I purchase Winchester once fire brass (pick up what I mark)
Oal is 1.165 - 1.170
Light crimp
Winchester Small Pistol Primers

Barrel - Schuemann 5.4" ribbed AET (no holes) / 3 port comp
Barrel - Schuemann 5.0" bushing AET (no holes) / 3 port comp
Barrel - Schuemann 6.0" ribbed Tribrid AET -3 internal comp ports (for 3 gun)

Another thing you want to do is run the heaviest spring you can in your gun that is reliable. Under springing your gun, just because it feels good will normally lead to cracked slides or frames. Hope this helps you

Well a few things prior or giving out load info in case someone new gets an idea to shoot it.

More important than worring about picking cases up off the ground is using the same head stamp during load development and beyond. Asking for which case is an important factor when you ask for load data. Differenences between case volumes and wall thicknesses from manufacturers can cause a delta in about 4k of pressure in a factor 9mm load per the loading manuals. Let that sink in, once you make it a major load that 4k goes up dramatically. Also the rim dimensions vary by around .017" so that will cause extraction issues. Stand back and watch some guns that bounce cases in all different directions.

Next the aol is critical since for every .010" deeper you seat the bullet on a minor load the pressure increases 10-11k (per the manuals). So if you increase the powder for major and don't increase the oal the pressure increases exponentially. Not good or safe for you or your gun.

Taking these two things into consideration will save you down the line. Also peak pressure is very high so running a minimum of a 124 grain bullet will help. Plated rounds don't hold up due to the peak pressure, I know someone will argue about this and the above info so if you don't believe me just move on or start collecting data. So having said that here is my data.

Basic load (adjusted slightly for different guns)
Montana Gold 124 grain HP jacketed bullet
7.0 Winchester Auto Comp
I purchase Winchester once fire brass (pick up what I mark)
Oal is 1.165 - 1.170
Light crimp
Winchester Small Pistol Primers

Barrel - Schuemann 5.4" ribbed AET (no holes) / 3 port comp
Barrel - Schuemann 5.0" bushing AET (no holes) / 3 port comp
Barrel - Schuemann 6.0" ribbed Tribrid AET -3 internal comp ports (for 3 gun)

Another thing you want to do is run the heaviest spring you can in your gun that is reliable. Under springing your gun, just because it feels good will normally lead to cracked slides or frames. Hope this helps you

Very good points for all to remember!

Cool using Will's barrels, he was a part of our shooting circle in Reno and Carson City.

Shot one of the 1st prototypes.. not bad but what ya expect from a real rocket scienist turned school teacher.
LOL

Now how to get a hybrid barrel on my M&P.
And keep lockup..... bull barreled?
Why not....
LOL
Good question for Luke at KKM.

Heading down there come later this year to give the kids some videos if some of the matches es we shot in Cali since Kevin had told me he had none.

What is the FPS and power factor with that load?

Last Edited:
My order of delta precision 115 and 124gr JPG would be here this week.
And will be trying HS 6 , N3 38, and Sillo.

My old load for the old COMP was auto COMP 7.1 with a 124gr made major at 1350/1360 fps.
Going to use a slower power to work the new comp.

My order of delta precision 115 and 124gr JPG would be here this week.
And will be trying HS 6 , N3 38, and Sillo.

My old load for the old COMP was auto COMP 7.1 with a 124gr made major at 1350/1360 fps.
Going to use a slower power to work the new comp.
That's some pretty good speed!

Nice avatar btw :D

What's your OAL? I'm guessing 1.145ish, maybe 1.150?

WARNING--Loads that you will find in NO reloading book. For purpose built race guns
with fully supported chambers. Do not try this at home. Your mileage may vary.

HS6--I'm loading 8.8 with a PD 115 JHP, but that's at 1.175. Back down to 8.4 or so, chrono and work up.
For a 124 gr start around 7.6. HS6 is dirty until you get the pressure up---it burns cleaner at major.
Probably the most cost effective consistent and forgiving powder for 9 Major, and readily available.

3N38 is the powder I'm probably switching to (HS6 has a little dot "wiggle" I can't seem to get rid of)
Start around 8.5 with a 124. Not sure you can make major with a 115---you might run out of case--it's
pretty full at my 9.0 gr, 124 gr PD JHP, 1.175 OAL load Downside to 3N38 is cost, but given the overall
cost of playing in Open, it really doesn't amount to much.

Silhouette. 7.3 with a 124 at 1.175. Start at 6.7 or so and chrono? Silhouette is more than a little temperature
sensitive. Enough that you might want to adjust for winter and summer loads.

All of this is using a full size 2011, KKM barrel, 2 .156 popple holes, Bedell Ti Comp. I generally load to a 172 PF in
that gun---have two others that use the same ammo and chrono a touch higher and lower.

Hey Bill
Going as long as can .... my OAL on the A.C. load is 1.160.

Ya hit the nail on the head and I agree.
Pending in bleeder /popler holes and the comp their will be some variables.

Freaking spell ck!!!

Anyway no barrel holes, gonna see how this SJC blows. Thanks for sharing!!!!!

Hey Bill
Going as long as can .... my OAL on the A.C. load is 1.160.
gonna see how this SJC blows. Thanks for sharing!!!!!

Just keep a sharp eye out for stepped brass. Not sure there was any around the last
time I saw you at a match. DO NOT load major 9 in stepped brass!

Ok
The results are in, going to be using PD 124 JHP at 1.175 OAL.

Did loads with 115 and 124gr PD JHP
More accurate that the X treme 124gr.

My WAC load 7.1 ran an avg of 1395 PF 172.98
I prefer HS-6 over WAC the impulse is way better....

But the real winner is VV 3n38
8.6gr avg 1375 PF 170.5 was good , dot tracked ok...

8.8gr WOW .... Dot tracked up and STRAIGHT down stayed from C/line to the upper half at 75%.... NO PRESSURE SIGNS
Avg 1401fps PF 173.72

Wish I had loaded a few more at 9.0
And 9.2gr...... Thinking the sweet spot for the 5.5in KKM barrel and 11 port COMP is gonna be at PF of 175/177.

I ran out of 124gr and still waiting on my back order from PD :(

My project gun is running well now,all that's is Left is to strip rust off of ME .

Practice may be at the matches. As things are getting way busy at work , I need another body or 2 in the machine shop..... and yah I will be working again tomorrow sunday. :mad: 20180309_171600.jpg

Ok
The results are in, going to be using PD 124 JHP at 1.175 OAL.

Did loads with 115 and 124gr PD JHP
More accurate that the X treme 124gr.

My WAC load 7.1 ran an avg of 1395 PF 172.98
I prefer HS-6 over WAC the impulse is way better....

But the real winner is VV 3n38
8.6gr avg 1375 PF 170.5 was good , dot tracked ok...

8.8gr WOW .... Dot tracked up and STRAIGHT down stayed from C/line to the upper half at 75%.... NO PRESSURE SIGNS
Avg 1401fps PF 173.72

Wish I had loaded a few more at 9.0
And 9.2gr...... Thinking the sweet spot for the 5.5in KKM barrel and 11 port COMP is gonna be at PF of 175/177.

I ran out of 124gr and still waiting on my back order from PD :(

My project gun is running well now,all that's is Left is to strip rust off of ME .

Practice may be at the matches. As things are getting way busy at work , I need another body or 2 in the machine shop..... and yah I will be working again tomorrow sunday. :mad:View attachment 440892
Sweet looking pistola!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads