JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Whatever the law is. follow it. If you are not allowed to communicate a threat to your psychiatrist, then refrain from doing that.

I don't think this article presents any new information, except that a particular doctor stood-up, appalled by the injuries in Oak Creek, WI, and, unprofessionally, used that event to haphazardly leverage an anti-gun, political battle. He was opportunistic. When politicians do that, like President Obama's saying that Trayvon Martin would look just like his son, they are shamed. The same rules apply here.

This article belongs in the Onion.

:s0114::s0114::s0114::s0114::s0114:

In all fairness, however, at least they are not here attacking guns as being bad, but attacking those that might not be able to determine how or when to safely use a gun. In terms of gun control, it could be worse. what's so funny?

We have pediatricians who have never even SEEN a gun, presuming to tell me that my family is inherently unsafe because I have a gun. I'm not making this up, it actually happens.

Sadly, I've never run into one of these idiots. They would never forget the interchange, nor would they ever repeat their BS statistics.

but that's the official position of many medical societies. And they preach that nonsense to their members, many of whom simply don't know to be skeptical.

That's not something for the Onion, it's something for real news organizations to pick up on.

We have pediatricians who have never even SEEN a gun, presuming to tell me that my family is inherently unsafe because I have a gun. I'm not making this up, it actually happens.

You have to understand the thinking of the physician though. A physician has no idea if you handle and store a weapon safely if you have kids at home. But they may know the statistics. Firearm related deaths are the second leading cause of death in 10-14 year olds for example. We have no way of telling who has proper training on safety at home but we feel compelled to try and reduce the rates of firearm related deaths in kids. So yes, statistically, if you have firearms at home and kids your have a higher statistical chance of having a firearm related injury or death at home. Does that mean we should round up all the guns and melt them down? No. Are physicians the ones that should be telling you how to safely handle and store a firearm? no. Is a physician going to warn you about ways you can reduce accidental death from various causes? yes.

I tell my patient's to wear their seat belts. Yeah its kind of a dumb thing to do since everyone should know that but perhaps I might prevent one death if someone listens to me. Same reason I tell people to not smoke or drink responsibly or eat a damn vegetable once in a while.

wwwcdcgovnchsdatahushus97cht.png

Here's an interesting statistic with kids.

"According to the 2011 Youth Risk Behavior Survey, a nationwide survey of high school students, 5.1 percent of 9th- through 12th-grade students reported carrying a gun at least one day in the 30 days before the survey [25]. Gun carrying was more common among boys than girls (8.6 versus 1.4percent). Gun carrying is associated with the use of violence and illicit drugs at school. Adolescents who carry guns to school report that they do so because they are afraid or because of peer pressure [26-28]"

You have to understand the thinking of the physician though. A physician has no idea if you handle and store a weapon safely if you have kids at home. But they may know the statistics. Firearm related deaths are the second leading cause of death in 10-14 year olds for example. We have no way of telling who has proper training on safety at home but we feel compelled to try and reduce the rates of firearm related deaths in kids. So yes, statistically, if you have firearms at home and kids your have a higher statistical chance of having a firearm related injury or death at home. Does that mean we should round up all the guns and melt them down? No. Are physicians the ones that should be telling you how to safely handle and store a firearm? no. Is a physician going to warn you about ways you can reduce accidental death from various causes? yes.

I tell my patient's to wear their seat belts. Yeah its kind of a dumb thing to do since everyone should know that but perhaps I might prevent one death if someone listens to me. Same reason I tell people to not smoke or drink responsibly or eat a damn vegetable once in a while.

"According to the 2011 Youth Risk Behavior Survey, a nationwide survey of high school students, 5.1 percent of 9th- through 12th-grade students reported carrying a gun at least one day in the 30 days before the survey [25]. Gun carrying was more common among boys than girls (8.6 versus 1.4percent). Gun carrying is associated with the use of violence and illicit drugs at school. Adolescents who carry guns to school report that they do so because they are afraid or because of peer pressure [26-28]"

Any statistic from the CDC is very suspect. First, note the "*" and the note associated???? Second, remember, the CDC has an openly acknowledged anti-gun agenda...Third, as soon as you a getting anywhere near the 14 year old bracket, you are starting to see the inner city drug/gang culture.

There is nothing in that set of statictics that points to firearm accidents in the HOME...If you are a doctor and you actually listen to teh CDC when it comes to anything about firearms...you need to be re-educated on what is propaganda.

That's interesting, hard to argue with that. Any non-CDC data that you would like to respond with that says that firearms in the home rarely leads to unintentional injury to kids? Or that every parent is a responsible gun owner and is fully educated on safety?

That's interesting, hard to argue with that. Any non-CDC data that you would like to respond with that says that firearms in the home rarely leads to unintentional injury to kids? Or that every parent is a responsible gun owner and is fully educated on safety?

Why may a child die from a firearm? Police action? Gang war? inner city kid in the wrong place at the wrong time? none of those have anything to do with whether there was a gun in the home, or not.

I will tell you about 4 firearm related child's deaths that I know happened in the last 4 years, one in ID and 3 in WA. Where they the only deaths by firearms of a child in our area...Don't know, but these 4 were reported in the news here. First, an Idaho deputy Sheriff...her child shot himself with her duty weapon. Second, Clark County WA Deputy,,,child broke into the gun safe the county had issued to the deputy and shot himself. Third one was a civilian that left a weapon in his grove box, his child got out of his car seat while the owner and his wife were not in the vi chicle for a couple minutes while talking to someone else. Fourth one was a Marysville, WA police officer...3 year old took his backup gun (also in a vehicle) and shot his 6 year old sister.

Do you see a trend here? 3 of 4 were LEO's weapons? Now how is the CDC going to handle that? Educated and trained in firearm safety? The LEO's should have the best training available don't you think? Then how do you stop a kid from breaking into a gun safe? You don't. If a kid wants to do something badly enough, he will.

We raised 5 and now have 14 grandkids...I think I know a little about children. One of the biggest mistakes a firearm owner can make is to keep those firearms a "mystery" to their children. As soon as they show interest, you start the training,

If you look at the rates (even tho the bargraph is bogus for the under 9 year old (they even say so with their "*") take a look at the 10-14 year olds and ask yourself, what is the difference between these groups? First thing that comes to my mind is gangs.

Children, even very young children, can safely handle firearms with the proper instruction. I did. I owned my own (not my dad's Mine, kept in my room, used at My discretion) .22 when I was 12...it was a birthday present from my parents. I purchased (myself, my dad was not with me, with my own money) a rifle and pistol at 16. I had friend that did the same...(BTW: I turned 21 before 1968) Never had a problem, and none of my friends ever had a problem.

So, why do I say gangs? Look at the FBI statistics, and the ages that have the most firearms deaths, then look at the ages for gang activity arrests...there is a co-relation.

This is horsebubblegum, according to the CDC, which relates ACCIDENTAL gun deaths at 755 as of 2003. OUT OF 300,000,000 PEOPLE.

Just to put this number in perspective, that's about the same number as died from lightning strikes in the same year.

This another step in the 40-year-long jihad of the AMA against gun rights. Period, end of Story.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top