JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Because that's what the criminals use
and the Government

0D7BC16D-4995-4356-ABBE-F34EB6B7BF0E.jpeg Here I am at an VA sponsored Trap shoot

Think this would help provide a date of possession?
I think it would be kinda hard to dispute the celphone calendar. But I am not an expert there.
The 20s are for CMP shoots. Even then I am not current on those rules.

AR mags on 111922.JPG

Last Edited:
Here's a link to the Sheriff's Facebook page. If you scroll down just a bit you can find his ridiculous statement explaining that he will give priority to the oath he swore to uphold state laws over the oath he swore to uphold and defend the Constitution...which, most certainly, trumps the passage of tyrannical unconstitutional laws that get passed far too often in our country.

Do feel free to leave him a comment or two on what you think about him not upholding his constitutional oath. :)

That's an awfully rigid attitude he has for a public servant with such soft armor plates

OSSA, the Oregon State Shooting Association, is maintaining a 114 status page at: https://www.ossa.org/bm114.html

Their thoughts so far:
  • Consider permanently labeling them with your own serial number, like "abc-01"
  • Take pictures of the magazines with a piece of ID (ODL) to show your possession. The meta data of the picture needs to have the date.
  • Email the pictures to yourself..
  • Take/print pictures of your magazines, with your ID and insert into an envelope, then mail them to yourself.
  • Take pictures of your magazines with your ID, seal in an envelope as hard copy or on a SD card and a notary certify your signature over the seal.
Emailing photos to yourself seems like an easy way to affix a date-stamp. A micro-SD card with the photos sent to yourself in U.S.Mail is pretty easy. Notary seems like a lot, but still pretty easy once the photos are done. Cloud Storage like Dropbox should provide a date-tamp and audit-trail if you uploaded the photos. Use some encryption if you like.

Personally, I'm going to do something along these lines. Probably use a digital camera rather than my phone. Hardest part is finding them all :s0114:

If anyone is actually going to bother with any of this, mail yourself an empty envelope, not sealed of course, and add pictures as necessary. Make sure whoever submits it as evidence on your behalf has sense enough to seal it first.

• Take pictures of the magazines with a piece of ID (ODL) to show your possession. The meta data of the picture needs to have the date.
  • Email the pictures to yourself..
Helpful post, thank you. I would do the 2 above cuz it's fast and easy and doesn't deface anything or add any unneeded tracking ability for the future with added serial numbers.

Imo this is extra legal ammo in case you ever have a problem in the future (which is extremely unlikely Imo). If it just takes a couple minutes then it's worth it because why not? You are only taking precautions and not sharing any info with anyone else. The other more anal retentive options listed are overkill imo and not for me. But to each his own.

Last Edited:
Helpful post, thank you. I would do the 2 above cuz it's fast and easy and doesn't deface anything or add any unneeded tracking ability for the future with added serial numbers.

Imo this is extra legal ammo in case you ever have a problem in the future (which is extremely unlikely Imo). If it just takes a couple minutes then it's worth it because why not? You are only taking precautions and not sharing any info with anyone else. The other more anal retentive options listed are overkill imo and not for me. But to each his own.
I have a copy of photoshop and the ability to edit photo metadata, so reality can be whatever I want. Idaho bought mags just might find themselves added to the family photo over time 😁

I hear you. The problem is the internet will tell you whatever you want to hear. If your defense is that you've had them, the burden of proof is back on the prosecution to prove that you acquired them illegally. It just doesn't seem worth it to be a trendsetter and going hog-wild, photos, engraving, and notarization when there's no way to prove you acquired non-serialized items after some arbitrary point in time to begin with.
This is how I feel about it. You're innocent until proven guilty, so I don't see how they can prosecute someone for high capacity magazine possession if they can't prove it was acquired illegally.

the way I understand it, so far... is the state doesnt need to prove you owned it, the state now prohibits posession outside the home or shooting range. So its if your caught with possessing one, that one will be confiscated and you will be charged.

the way I understand it, so far... is the state doesnt need to prove you owned it, the state now prohibits posession outside the home or shooting range. So its if your caught with possessing one, that one will be confiscated and you will be charged.
Actually it is lawful to possess it when transporting to a location of lawful use (fe. your property, a shooting range, place of recreational activity) as long as it's locked in a separate container.

So it simply comes down to the definition of "locked separate container". Does this include locked trunk, locked glove box, bag with lock on it, small gun safe, locked ammo can on the floor, etc.? I would say yes. At the very least it would be extremely hard for them to prosecute if it were in any of those places. The obvious problem is on-body carry in the gun where it is not separate and not in a locked container. An on body mag carrier with a lock (it is a locked separate container) I suppose would be a grey area but you could argue it with a good attorney I suppose.

My suggestion is to simply plan accordingly: 1) You are always going to a site of lawful use when it is in your possession. 2) you have made some attempt to have it in a "separate locked container". This allows you to put up an adequate defense in the likely extremely rare case where they tried to prosecute you (most likely they would only prosecute as an add on for some other offense I would guess).

ldkfjdf.JPG

Last Edited:
Actually it is lawful to possess it when transporting to a location of lawful use (fe. your property, a shooting range, place of recreational activity) as long as it's locked in a separate container.

So it simply comes down to the definition of "locked separate container". Does this include locked trunk, locked glove box, bag with lock on it, small gun safe on the floor, etc.? I would say yes. At the very least it would be extremely hard for them to prosecute if it were in any of those places. The obvious problem is on-body carry in the gun where it is not separate and not in a locked container. An on body mag carrier with a lock (it is a locked separate container) I suppose would be a grey area but you could argue it with a good attorney I suppose.

My suggestion is to simply plan accordingly: 1) You are always going to a site of lawful use when it is in your possession. 2) you have made some attempt to have it in a "separate locked container". This allows you to put up an adequate defense in the likely extremely rare case where they tried to prosecute you (most likely they would only prosecute as an add on for some other offense I would guess).

View attachment 1315478
Can I put a zipper on my pockets and throw a mini padlock on it? Does that count?

And if it's in a locked container how did they find it?

Can I put a zipper on my pockets and throw a mini padlock on it? Does that count?
A good lawyer could probably argue that unauthorized persons could not get to it, it was not in the firearm, and it was in a locked separate location from the firearm I would guess. Again makes it easier to create a defense and much harder to prosecute if you made some attempt. All IMO of course.
And if it's in a locked container how did they find it?
"Why yes officer, feel free to search my vehicle and here let me open that up for you..." :p Seriously though, would need a warrant I suppose?

Last Edited:
A good lawyer could probably argue that unauthorized persons could not get to it, it was not in the firearm, and it was in a locked separate location from the firearm I would guess. Again makes it easier to create a defense and much harder to prosecute if you made some attempt. All IMO of course.

"Why yes officer, feel free to search my vehicle and here let me open that up for you..." :p Seriously though, would need a warrant I suppose?
Of course they would need a warrant. So if you are a "law abiding" citizen for 99% of your life then you have nothing to worry about. All these threads are pathetic in my opinion.

Of course they would need a warrant. So if you are a "law abiding" citizen for 99% of your life then you have nothing to worry about. All these threads are pathetic in my opinion.
While i agree with you here, I think it behooves us as lawful firearm owners to take a few extra steps to ensure we have proof for the grandfather clause. Who knows how aggressively Oregon democrats will attack firearm owners now that they are emboldened from the passage of 114? Like I tell my kids, "Hope for the best but prepare for the worst."

While i agree with you here, I think it behooves us as lawful firearm owners to take a few extra steps to ensure we have proof for the grandfather clause. Who knows how aggressively Oregon democrats will attack firearm owners now that they are emboldened from the passage of 114? Like I tell my kids, "Hope for the best but prepare for the worst."
Again. The more proof you have the more they will take. I'm not documenting a single magazine.

It's like - "That's not my only mag. I have all these things you hate too! Now make up a reason to take those as well. Oh and sense it was taken on my phone/stored on my computer now you can take that as evidence and use even more against me."

I'll pass.

everything about these gun control laws only applies to law abiding citizens so id say its worth the discussion interpreting the new laws....

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors May 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top