JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I've seen a lot of WWII and Vietnam-era 45acp in 50 round cardboard boxes, but the 20 round boxes like that, that I've seen, have always been pre-WWII.

I'm not an expert or a serious collector, but I've handled and seen a fair amount over the years. I have seen the "45 A.C." headstamp a few times but they're not very common. It's an early headstamp. Most of what I've seen in the long 20-round boxes have military headstamps with the year. They've all been WWI to 1930's, and they all had the same "Disposal of empty cartridge cases must be made according to army regulations..." on the back.

I have a half dozen or so similar boxes, but for some reason can't remember where I put them right now. That's embarrassing. I'm too young to be forgetting everything, I think...:oops:
I am sincerely impressed by the depth of knowledge here. Thank you.
I second that! Thanks again for the education:]

Well.......there is always that experiment. Rrrrrright......to fire them. So then, if it corrodes your barrel without a cleaning......yeah, now you know it's generally pre 50s ammo.

Aloha, Mark
A few years ago I picked seven rounds out of my bag of loose WWI rounds, all Winchester 1917 dated, tarnished ones with no collector value. They all went off and cycled the action just like new ammo. The one I sent over the chronograph clocked 800 fps, just like it should have. Impressive for 100 year old war-surplus ammo.

I don't think any of my loose WWI rounds has any real collector value; they made billions and there's still a lot of it floating around. I've been accumulating these for nearly 40 years now. Some of these rounds in the photo were given to me in a small glass jar when I was a kid, by the manager of a local sporting goods store. :)

I had a similar but badly deteriorating couple 20 round boxes from a buddy who said his grandpa passed them to him circa WW1. No way to confirm my long gone treasure.
Funny thing, was just talking to my buddy who gave those to me back in 1990. He told my he got them from his Grandfather also. I'm thinking these are keepers… Cool conversation pieces for the office.

Funny thing, was just talking to my buddy who gave those to me back in 1990. He told my he got them from his Grandfather also. I'm thinking these are keepers… Cool conversation pieces for the office.
They certainly appear to be in excellent condition. I have no idea what a collector might pay, but I hardly believe it would be significant enough to pass up the conversation piece value. There is something to be said about owning a small piece of history and a tangible reminder of the sacrifices made during that period of time.

Lest we forget......

When did sealed primers start?
I hope nobody minds me telling an off-topic story, but I have one about the sealant they used on USGI ammo, nothing short of amazing.

Here's a photo of a couple of M1 carbine magazines that I was given a few years back. A friend of my wife found them buried under her gravel driveway when she was ditching it for rain. There was a few WWII dated live rounds still inside one of them. I don't have photos and don't remember where I put them, but they looked like you would expect, having been buried in the ground for who knows how many years.

Here's where it gets weird, and I know some of you all will roll your eyes at what I did. For the record, I don't recommend doing this, but I was curious. I scraped and polished the grime and tarnish off of one round, just for kicks, then I pulled it apart to see what it looked like inside. I was amazed to see that it was clean and the powder looked fresh! Yes, I did... don't judge me. I took it to the range and fired it. It shot fine.

Don't get me wrong- I don't advocate firing questionable ammo. Based on knowledge of the components, the sealant and appearance of the powder and case, I knew it wasn't risky. It would either fire or it wouldn't. I was seriously impressed that it did.

I don't think there's any salvage to the magazines though. :(

IMG_4523[1].jpg

They certainly appear to be in excellent condition. I have no idea what a collector might pay, but I hardly believe it would be significant enough to pass up the conversation piece value. There is something to be said about owning a small piece of history and a tangible reminder of the sacrifices made during that period of time.

Lest we forget......
I couldn't agree more, actually makes more sense to enjoy the history and hand them down the line. Maybe they will see 200 years… Dare to dream and wonder!

I hope nobody minds me telling an off-topic story, but I have one about the sealant they used on USGI ammo, nothing short of amazing.

Here's a photo of a couple of M1 carbine magazines that I was given a few years back. A friend of my wife found them buried under her gravel driveway when she was ditching it for rain. There was a few WWII dated live rounds still inside one of them. I don't have photos and don't remember where I put them, but they looked like you would expect, having been buried in the ground for who knows how many years.

Here's where it gets weird, and I know some of you all will roll your eyes at what I did. For the record, I don't recommend doing this, but I was curious. I scraped and polished the grime and tarnish off of one round, just for kicks, then I pulled it apart to see what it looked like inside. I was amazed to see that it was clean and the powder looked fresh! Yes, I did... don't judge me. I took it to the range and fired it. It shot fine.

Don't get me wrong- I don't advocate firing questionable ammo. Based on knowledge of the components, the sealant and appearance of the powder and case, I knew it wasn't risky. It would either fire or it wouldn't. I was seriously impressed that it did.

I don't think there's any salvage to the magazines though. :(

View attachment 1384083
That's pretty incredible. I like your style👍🏻 Would be a great test in a buddies Hi-Point. Hold my beer as I squint my eyes;]

If you shoot that stuff wash out your pistol. I shot some a little newer than those and didn't even consider it was corrosive. Opened the safe a month later to a rusted gun. I was able to save the gun but boy did I learn a lesson on that one.

If you shoot that stuff wash out your pistol. I shot some a little newer than those and didn't even consider it was corrosive. Opened the safe a month later to a rusted gun. I was able to save the gun but boy did I learn a lesson on that one.
I agree. I forgot to mention that about the WWI 45 ammo that I shot. I rinsed and cleaned the bore thoroughly afterwards. I'm not scared of corrosive ammo, but I've neglected a bore a time or two in the distant past after shooting it, and learned the hard way.

Not that I expect you will shoot it. That box is in very nice condition; too nice to shoot up!

I believe it may be a bit hazardous to fire those.

It's just possible that a collector would learn of your having done so and proceed to pummel you about the head and shoulders. :s0070:

I believe it may be a bit hazardous to fire those.

It's just possible that a collector would learn of your having done so and proceed to pummel you about the head and shoulders. :s0070:
Lol, they will make good paperweight's and display pieces. I'm actually pissed at myself I opened one of the boxes knowing what I know now. Still got 5 virgins left:]

I don't know if your boxes are very common or not, or if they have any real value more than shooting ammo, but I think they're neat and worth saving as is.

A lot of serious cartridge collectors will tell you that common ammo, no matter how old or neat looking, is actually worth very little and should just be shot up, since it will eventually go bad. There may be truth in that, but I still like to preserve some of it.

On the other hand, I have a bunch of 8mm ammo from the '30s and '40s. I shoot it all the time. It all goes off like new.

Your Winchester cartridges were made in 1942. The lot number falls within the 1942 range for Winchester (22000-22122), and the 20 round cartons were still in use for the majority of 1942. Hope this helps.
Good info. Any idea why these have a commercial headstamp instead of the more typical military headstamp with a date?

I've ran across a few of them before too, and always wondered. I have a .50 cal round with a headstamp "FA 37 CAL 50".

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top