JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I went with this for my kids backpacks. Soft armor insert, level III A. It's flexible and light. They were about 80 bucks when I bought them several years back.

Looking at getting a bullet proof backpack for my kid, for upcoming school year. Any recommendations? Anything out there that would stop rifle rounds?
You are going to find lots of soft armour, that will stop handgun ammo. If you want to protect against rifle ammo, It's going to be hard plate.
Steel is thin but heavy, ceramic is lighter but 4 times thicker, etc....
How big a kid? and how much extra can they carry every day?
One more question has your kids school gone all digital? or are they still issuing stacks of books, workbooks, binders of paper etc...
If the kids are only issued a laptop, they can carry more armour.
My grands are carrying used LEO vests, in their BP's They are Level IIIa handgun rated. In their backpack they are two layers, with a Laptop and a couple notebooks. In the backpack they stand tall enough to give protection from the neckdown to their butts. Or they could wear the vest and ditch the BP. But they are not going to stop rifle rounds.
Maybe as they get older and stronger a ceramic plate will be in order. DR

There are plenty of plates out there that will stop rifle rounds. You probably will want to go with some type of ceramic/composite due to the weight of steel...and the bag will already be pretty heavy with books. I'm sorry but I'm not up on the latest and greatest rifle plates so can't suggest a specific model.

But make sure you have a talk with your kid and mention that he is NOT to tell ANYONE that he has a bulletproof backpack and, God forbid he has to actually use it one day, make sure he disregards any idiot teacher's instruction to, "leave the bag behind."

Ceramic plates. Level.3+ with thin ceramic strike face and thick polyethylene backer. RMA, Highcom, Hoplite/LTC makes good plates. Midwest Armor and Stealth Armor systems do offer good Kevlar/Aramid Level 3A soft armor inserts in the shapes of rectangles and plate backer shapes for good prices. I would go with these two companies; pretty sure they make inserts that are sized just right for the standard Jansport type backpacks.

I have a Hardwire Level 3A clipboard for my work. It only weighs a pound.

They make various hard and soft armor for backpacks too

Thank you Sir, I appreciate it!

You do anything for emergency communication? Like the gizmo watch 2 or something?
I used to have them carry a zip lock in their backpacks with a small radio that I had programmed with MURS frequency. I used MURS because around here it's not crowded and others likely won't be listening in. They were small pocket size radios from Amazon. Low wattage but compact. If the cell network went down they could coordinate around school and then take the predetermined route home if they couldn't contact me. They also carried some small first aid supplies, a cliff bar and water pouch. It was enough nourishment to get them the distance back home if they had to hike.

It's a hell of a world we've allowed to be created when this is even a question that we have to ask. I hope all of you with children in school have completely uneventful school years.

I would go the notebook insert route. The one thing with backpacks is students at different grade levels may be required to keep their backpacks in a locker or cubby and not readily accessible. With the notebook inserts it's easier and less consipicuous to carry them in their backpack but also remove them to their desktop as a normal use item and readily accessible.

Comms, I would probably look into those emergency alert call fob options. Many working on 4G networks and modest monthly fees. Smaller ones being able to be worn around the neck and always acessible. The down side though.... getting your kids to regularly monitor them and keep them charged.

Soft armor won't stop a rifle round, but it will still absord a lot of energy and potenitally lessen impact damage. Certainly not the ideal... considering rifles seem to be a popular choice for mass shooters.

What else can you do?? Enourage your children to befriend and always sit behind the chubby kid? 🤣

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top