JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
no, the CHL is optional to buy a gun. A state issued ID is mandatory.
It is not mandatory. I haven't given my Oregon DL to an FFL in years. They take my CHL and my BGC passes in minutes.

A Cut Above, Tigard Pawn, and many more that I use suggest using CHL instead of DL for faster response. I typically offer both, and they always take my CHL.

I am not sure where you are doing your transfers, but a state issued ID is not mandatory if you have a CHL.

This is my experience

if it matters there is a dated Mfg code on all Magpul magazines.

641E7BE6-DE77-4C85-B2A4-9B2ADBCCA625.jpeg

It is not mandatory. I haven't given my Oregon DL to an FFL in years. They take my CHL and my BGC passes in minutes.

A Cut Above, Tigard Pawn, and many more that I use suggest using CHL instead of DL for faster response. I typically offer both, and they always take my CHL.

I am not sure where you are doing your transfers, but a state issued ID is not mandatory if you have a CHL.

This is my experience
I stand corrected.
Im "half" right though, whats required is a state issued photo ID, of which a CHL qualifies.

Take your mags to a local engraver and get them engraved with either a SN you create (maybe match it to their respective firearms and add another number at the end if you have multiple mags for it) or a symbol of your choice. Get a receipt that has date and description of work done.
Keep a copy of the receipt with the gun/mags and another in your safe. Kind of like NFA items.
Or tell em to kiss your bubblegum, and to take a hike with their unconstitutional BS.

If the newspaper idea works, then buy a copy if tomorrow's Oregonian. Everytime you buy mags in the future, put them on that paper and take a picture hahahaa!

I think the only real proof of noncompliance will be possessing a magazine with a manufacture date after Dec 8, 2022.

Someone should start a "Grandfathered Magazines" post where everyone posts a pic of their mags then just bookmark their post to recall later in life if needed.

Let's make a quick point here. There are many threads saying F them, F the law. I agree, I will keep my magazines and mark them as I had already intended and if the instance occurred I would have no problem ignoring the BS that the libtards imported into oregon over the last 36 years of failed democratic "leadership" in Oregon.
If you feel the need to be a cu** and try to bash me for giving an option, you can kindly take that craptastic self importance elsewhere. Maybe try contributing more than "f that, I won't listen to them".

How many people have been arrested in WA state for having mags of "high capacity"?
I'm guessing, but probably a very small number. As passed, the law basically restricts the introduction of new, additional magazines into the existing supply. But there is really no practical method of determining ownership history. Or enforcement. But the illusion makes gun-haters happy for the moment.

I suspect this to be used more to add additional charges. If they get you for something else, they will use this to tack on charges to make sure you get nailed.
This. As a practical matter, there will be no "magazine police." The reality is, manpower doesn't exist for active enforcement. However, personally, I wouldn't take a ten plus magazine with me to, say, a recreational shooting trip on public land. The ranger comes by, you're okay, doing nothing wrong, yet he happens to see you have a 20 round AR mag. He could ignore it or have you charged.

Washington's Ban is very different ... it lets you carry the mags and posse them everywhere you used to be able too and requires the state to prove you brought them in. Our ban restricts that to transportation to an ffl, or range or your private property. You have much less reason to be found with one as a result and it places the burden of proof on you.

Yes. My memory of the process is now a bit hazy. "Our" law in Wash. re. magazines was a legislative bill, not a voter initiative. I seem to recall that the bill was subject to negotiation and was watered down some to ensure passage. IIRC, initially there was to be some limits on where the mags could be possessed but it wasn't in the final bill. I've also read that in prohibiting "distribution," this includes inheritance.

I won't mention names because I don't want to get sued. But here I must add that there is a Fat Maggot state senator who irks me greatly WRT this bill. As luck would have it, he is from my district and went to high school with one of my now adult kids. He has never worked one minute in the private sector, his entire "work" experience is in politics in the majority party well-established machine here. He is also a poster child for diversity; local pols have created public jobs for him over time because legislators in Wash. are only part-time employees. My guess, he's being groomed for higher office and having an anti-gun bill in his CV will enhance those chances.

Why do you want/need high capacity magazines?
Just wondering why not having them is such a big deal for people?
My account settings don't alert me when someone quotes my posts. Mainly because people know that I will follow up with an animated GIF, or tell a a long story from my amazingly excellent childhood.

I don't own a single high capacity magazine. I only use the magazines that were designed for my firearms. Also, I am not sure what is a high capacity magazine. In the years that I have been, I have never encountered a high capacity magazine. And from all that I have experienced, the chamber of a firearm will only accommodate a single cartridge at a single time. Now....if you want to talk about multiple projectiles in a single cartridge, I would look toward the shotgun shell. That shotgun shell will accommodate more projectiles than I have fingers on my hand...in fact, with one trigger pull, a person can send ten 36 caliber pellets down range at 1250 fps.

I am not sure what is a "Big Deal?" But I can imagine that citizens don't like being told that they can't have something that doesn't pose a threat to humanity. It would seem that a "Poor Deal" would be requiring citizens to purchase reduced capacity magazines...especially when a shotgun can outpace the lead slinging of a fully automatic firearm.

I am not immediately affected by Oregon Regulations at this time. I feel It approaching my location...if not this year...the next...or the one after that. These Regulations.. they are Infringements...and I have no business in limiting another Citizen's ability to protect themself.

Out of all the posts on this topic, why did you ask me this question?

Oh, and here is an animated GIF...maybe I will tell a childhood story next time.
Best Regards,
MTpockets

the movie beach GIF

Last Edited:
Maybe Oregon stores will get wise like Colorado stores and sell all the parts of magazines seperately as 'repair kits'.
(d) "Large-capacity magazine" means a fixed or detachable magazine, belt, drum, feed strip, helical feeding device, or similar device, including any such device joined or coupled with another in any manner, or a kit with such parts, that has an overall capacity of, or that can be readily restored, changed, or converted to accept, more than 10 rounds of ammunition and allows a shooter to keep firing without having to pause to reload,

(d) "Large-capacity magazine" means a fixed or detachable magazine, belt, drum, feed strip, helical feeding device, or similar device, including any such device joined or coupled with another in any manner, or a kit with such parts, that has an overall capacity of, or that can be readily restored, changed, or converted to accept, more than 10 rounds of ammunition and allows a shooter to keep firing without having to pause to reload,
I don't see anything that says we can't repair the mags we already have.

My account settings don't alert me when someone quotes my posts. Mainly because people know that I will follow up with an animated GIF, or tell a a long story from my amazingly excellent childhood.

I don't own a single high capacity magazine. I only use the magazines that were designed for my firearms. Also, I am not sure what is a high capacity magazine. In the years that I have been, I have never encountered a high capacity magazine. And from all that I have experienced, the chamber of a firearm will only accommodate a single cartridge at a single time. Now....if you want to talk about multiple projectiles in a single cartridge, I would look toward the shotgun shell. That shotgun shell will accommodate more projectiles than I have fingers on my hand...in fact, with one trigger pull, a person can send ten 36 caliber pellets down range at 1250 fps.

I am not sure what is a "Big Deal?" But I can imagine that citizens don't like being told that they can't have something that doesn't pose a threat to humanity. It would seem that a "Poor Deal" would be requiring citizens to purchase reduced capacity magazines...especially when a shotgun can outpace the lead slinging of a fully automatic firearm.

I am not immediately affected by Oregon Regulations at this time. I feel It approaching my location...if not this year...the next...or the one after that. These Regulations.. they are Infringements...and I have no business in limiting another Citizen's ability to protect themself.

Out of all the posts on this topic, why did you ask me this question?

Oh, and here is an animated GIF...maybe I will tell a childhood story next time.
Best Regards,
MTpockets

the movie beach GIF
Ah, good ol' skeet surfing. An elegant sport, for a more civilized age...

At least we still have skeet patrol.
1AE3AA3A-418D-4438-9C0E-7366B25D8DC5.png
5D4DEC82-6F53-49EF-93C0-9B12DEC10625.png

They used to talk about "poor man's copyright" as being proof of creation - that's where you have a sealed copy of written material mailed to yourself with a postmark on it. I'm not a lawyer, but I'm wondering if something along those lines is worth doing -- mail a mag collection photo to myself? I agree this whole thing is a PITA and the whole legal system is something I want to avoid. Given that, I'm considering mailing myself a photo - as an insurance policy of sorts.

Here's a link to the Sheriff's Facebook page. If you scroll down just a bit you can find his ridiculous statement explaining that he will give priority to the oath he swore to uphold state laws over the oath he swore to uphold and defend the Constitution...which, most certainly, trumps the passage of tyrannical unconstitutional laws that get passed far too often in our country.

Do feel free to leave him a comment or two on what you think about him not upholding his constitutional oath. :)

Upcoming Events

Good News!! The Carson, WA shows are back!!
Carson, WA
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top