JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I see your solid points Kruejl; I might be off the mark (not the 1st eh?), but in the interest of reciprocal learning, I can try to explain a bit more in-depth; I think this subject is worth the effort.

The 4 seconds (military axiom) isn't just a canned acumen (having the rifle up, standing, knowing the target, and pulling the trigger when the firer decides), the 4 seconds includes (but not limited to) not knowing when, but being told to expose one's self, the target aqusition, the actual engaging, the adjustments, the observation (judging effectiveness), then getting back under cover; it's actually hard dump a mag in 4 seconds, when someone else IDs which target and gives the go ahead.

As far as the crew served weapons point you made, I cannot recall any that didn't require bursts; controlled rates and distributions of fire.

Both MGs or both SAWs cannot be allowed to run out of ammo at the same time. On the opening burst from the SBF position, all CS weapons may be directed to initiate for 20-30 seconds, and on certain defensive occasions, a Final Protective Fire (FPF) can be directed, then all available weapon systems are directed to fire at a pre-determined target, firing cyclic rate for a prescribed length of time (usually 30 seconds), but by and large, all CS weapon systems I know of, train with sustained rates of fire..

Even the AC 130 and the A10 (Vulcans) fire bursts....

The rifle certainly can be a suppressive fire platform, (and the object of enjoyment), but that hefty job is primarily for the heavier, belt or drum fed full auto systems on a Turret, a T&E, or Bipod.

I'm all for people training however they see fit; I can see that not every weapons owner cares about SHTF, but modern military doctrine conflicts with the "civilian" or "SPENDEX" mag dumps; modern military doctrine is well established and practiced for 75+ years.

I'd recommend "Infantry In Battle" and "The Defense of Doufer's Drift" as good reading to anyone who'd ask.

;)

Hit @Joe Link

I just work here.......

Like an Absolute Boss!! :cool:

A complete parody, in case that was missed.

@Oathkeeper1775 I agree 100% that even CS weapons need a controlled ROF. For sure. No argument from this guy. I've also "dumped" a mag from more than one rifle and/or handgun, if anything to test it in nothing but the most inopportune conditions and to see if my life and my families can be trusted to it under extreme duress.

Its also OK to shoot solely for fun without really caring if you can hit the can your'e aiming at or not.

I made a 75 round drum out of a Suomi 9mm drum to fit in my old SWD M11/9mm about 20 years ago. I could sit a can up 20 feet away and unload that entire drum towards that can in about 4 seconds or less and never hit the damned thing. Had a great time doing it.

My last mag dump was January 1st around 12:01a.m., give or take 30 seconds, after touching off a few pounds of tannerite. Why? Because sparks and booms are pretty darn cool sitting around a bon fire on a mountain top. It was the best $40 I've spent in a long time and a heck of a lot cheaper than therapy.

I hear magazine dumps are loads of fun. However, I've never witnessed anyone do one. Are they as common as people boast?

There are several types of mag dumps.. The first is when you experience time dilation during a firefight and it's usually followed by dump of the bowels into one's combat panties.. Second is worse when the bottom of the mag plate vibrates loose and dumps your ammo on the ground, reminding the operator to suck Earth and is also followed by a dump of the bowels.. The third type is when your in a firefight and your pistol mag release vibrates and drops your mag at you feet, typically also followed by a dumping of the bowels..

One of my neighbors about 1/4 mile away or less did a multiple mag dump at 10:00 at night. As fast as he could empty and change mags, about 300 rounds. I called 911 because we are in a rural area with too many houses. They told me that others had called and Sheriffs were investigating. Several minutes later he started up again and I called 911 from my porch. The operator was aghast and asked if the sound she was hearing was gunfire. I told her yes and she said that the Sherriff's deputies were on their way. He/she must have gone through at least 600 rounds with what sounded like the same rifle (AR). Hell of a way to break in a new rifle, and I wondered what he/she was shooting at in the dark. My finger starts getting tired after one mag dump and that was before I injured it. After 100 rapid rounds or so, my rifle starts getting too hot to handle without gloves.

I remember doing range safety NCO in the Army once . We had 7K rounds left over and the Company went back in. Cant turn that stuff in or you dont get as much the next time.

Ahhh, the concept of "Government Budgeting"... budgeting's unintended incentiving of unnecessary spending! This is why I don't set "budgets" ;)

As stated above it will not cycle the action.
It might cycle the action if you put a 30 Cal bullet in a 556 barrel and it doesn't blow-up but the second shot with blow the gun and barrel there are plenty of guys that have shot 2 or3 rounds before the realized there barrel was blocked

Oh . We were on the micro level. Get into the big leagues and they did things big time.
Watched a few perfectly good tanks pull brand new generators off the deck into the sea a few years back. That was the worst I've personally witnessed. Still haven't been able to make it right in my head.

I don't look at or watch all the rifle and pistol WTS ads in the classified section, but of all the WTS ads I have looked at, nobody bragg's about how many mag dumps they did with the rifle or pistol they are trying to sell..

Hmmm:rolleyes:

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA
Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads