JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Is a Magazine Disconnect Good or bad for CCW?

• Its a Good thing, please explain why

Votes: 5 9.3%
  • Its a bad thing, please explain why

Votes: 45 83.3%
  • I cant decide

Votes: 4 7.4%
  • Whats a Magazine Disconnect

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
No one seems to have addressed the main factor involved here...

A pistol, unlike a revolver should never be out of action while being reloaded.

Take away that feature and it's becomes just a short piece of pipe.;)

Jack :cool:

If any leo got close enough for a BG to grab at his gun, and I know every situation is different, he (or she) should rethink their career choices.

If a BG is focused on taking your gun, and you are only focused on "retaining" it, your training is somewhat lacking.

If the bad guy is so focused, he has almost always left himself open to a disabling blow or strike.

Maybe if some one is trying to take your gun, it may be time to pull the trigger.

The magazine disconnect is something to count on when everything has gone bad, and you have made every mistake in the book.

Magazine disconnect was designed for law enforcement people that can't keep the criminal from getting their hands on their weapon(ie: there's a struggle for the pistol & officer pushes mag eject making gun inoperable). What a bad idea...1st law of carrying is perspective of yourself in relation to your surroundings. If you can't keep somebody from taking your firearm you have no business carrying. C'mon! Really? For me the magazine disconnect issue falls under the catagorey "If it ain't broke don't fix it", and a gun with more internal parts = a gun that is more prone to mechanical failures...my $0.02
But thanks for the Post...great topic!

I am definitely not a fan of them, if you need that one round and the mag gets dislodged, or you happen to have a loose round you need to load into it but you've already dropped the mag, it's a lot easier to load it into the chamber than to load the mag and then chamber it.
I have a Walther that HAD a magazine disconnect on it, key word here is had, because as soon as I found out it had one, I disassembled it and removed it. If you really want the Ruger, go ahead and get it, but then have it removed if it's a concern for you.

There's a good article that talks about disabling magazine disconnects in the current journal of the Armed Citizen's Legal Defense Network journal.

There's a good article that talks about disabling magazine disconnects in the current journal of the Armed Citizen's Legal Defense Network journal.

Here's the link for all those who don't feel like searching for it http://www.armedcitizensnetwork.org/images/stories/journal/Network_2011-03.pdf

That Marty Hayes gives good advice.

I removed mine as I use it for target shooting and not to carry for self defense, but I guess if it did come down to it any and all of my guns would be used for self defense.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top