JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
None of WWII veterans claimed PTSD.
I had four trips to Chechnya in 90s when it was very ugly there. No logistics, no air support, no backup, no intel. We were on our own in the middle of nowhere, in the mountains - hunting bad men, doing the right things. We've lost our men there. I still have the steel core from 5.45 that stuck in my plate one day.
No PTSD.
No, the term was shell shocked back then I believe. It was recognized in WWI as well. I have had patients who had PTSD who survived Milosevich, Pol Pot, Vietnam. I recently had a pt with PTSD who was kidnapped by the Cartels in Mexico.

Audie Murphy was treated for it with tranquilizers just FWIW.

I can not speak for the trauma or the taking of a human life as a law enforcement officer but...
I can speak on experiencing of trauma and the taking of human lives as a solider with combat experience.

Just as no two people view the same event from the same perspective , comparing how one's experiences in combat affect you to someone else is in my opinion , worthless.

With that said and speaking only for myself here :

Combat and the taking of someone's life is the most intimate relationship you can have...much more so than even love making.
I say this because , in love making , you are giving the pleasure and at times the promise of life...in combat you are giving both the promise of life and death.
You are taking literally everything from the other person ...all that they have , or will ever be.

Not to forget that at times and places the brutality that can be shown to another person that becomes "casual" , commonplace or even "Ho-Hum" , almost boring.

This coupled with the mind numbing boredom of all the overwhelming routine tasks that make up the majority of life in a combat zone ...which at least for me , occurred in a far away land or three others , have made a lasting impression.

This again is not to say that my experiences are better or worse than anyone else's... they are just mine.
The key for me , was acceptance of myself and my actions ...there were not good or bad...they were just what was needed to be done to come back home and have my squad mates come back home alive.

Again please note that the above is only how I feel , I would never presume to speak for others....
Nor tell anyone to "just get over it"...to do so is arrogant and shows little understanding of others.
Andy

Sadly, in Massachusetts, the chief of police controls the rights of his citizens.I was born and raised there, (which is why I left as soon as I was old enough) I remember 35 years ago having to go to the town hall to apply for my FID card,(firearms identification card) which was required to hunt, possess,carry or buy any firearms or ammunition, and is/was issued at the chief's discretion.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top