JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi all. I'm thinking of picking up a 1903A3 that's been sporterized. Everything has been hot blued and the barrel is marked 9-43 RA. It's a 2 groove from what I can tell and gauged at .9 (not exactly sure what that means but that's what the guy at the shop showed me on his gauge. I know it's barrel wear gauge to some degree). Barrel was shiny from what I could tell when I looked down it.

The gun itself is a Remington made with serial number in the 409xxxx. From that, it looks like it was made in October or November of 1943 so the barrel may be the original.

The stock is walnut and the barrel channel is free floated. There is a crack in the rock only visible from the inside and is not all the way through. The trigger seemed "ok" and the safety functioned. It comes with a cheapo Tasco World Class 3-9x40. The total weight with the scope was 8.6lbs. The LOP on the stock was great for me at 13.25".

The action was smooth and the follower was not filled down so it locked open. Overall, I am thinking about it as an addition to my M70 pre-64 and my M70 Ultimate Shadow. I was thinking it would be a rock solid action that if I decided to I could have rechambered to a different caliber. For now, I'm a sucker for 30-06.

My question is, what do you think it is worth in this day and age? They want $500 for it, but it's been on the shelf for at least 6 months.

DD67150C-7635-421A-9D1C-B47B447229B1.jpeg B3FBCB21-E45B-46C1-9072-25446F5E02B1.jpeg E88F55D0-2EFC-45AF-97E2-36B621E72AAD.jpeg E6D277D0-F894-4C0A-899C-3C3F42C03B57.jpeg 6BF9565D-BD02-46BD-8DCB-DF0C5A34016C.jpeg

I would pay 500 for it and bought one similar to it I think for a bit more
Velzey converted it to 6.5x55 swede and is finishing it up. I know of few actions slicker than the 03.

Seems a bit high to me. You can get a pristine 03a3 in the $800 range, let alone one that was sporterized.

One thing you have to be careful with, although it does not look like this particular gun has this problem, is that many 03a3's were decommissioned and we're later "fixed".

It really depends on how bad you want it. Me personally, I wouldn't think too much of it at $400, seeing that I really don't need it.

Seems a bit high to me. You can get a pristine 03a3 in the $800 range, let alone one that was sporterized.

One thing you have to be careful with, although it does not look like this particular gun has this problem, is that many 03a3's were decommissioned and we're later "fixed".

It really depends on how bad you want it. Me personally, I wouldn't think too much of it at $400, seeing that I really don't need it.
Thanks for that tip! Are you saying you'd consider it if it was $400? I'm sort of on the "I don't need it", but I do kind of want it :)

Thanks for that tip! Are you saying you'd consider it if it was $400? I'm sort of on the "I don't need it", but I do kind of want it :)
Yeah, at $400 it would definitely pique an interest in me. I'd shoot for $400 and see how it goes. Remember, something is only worth what another is willing to pay.

There are a lot of really nice sporter rifles out there, most often underappreciated nowadays. The problem with sporters is a question of quality. Who did the work- an amateur with a hacksaw, or a master gunsmith?

I've seen some great deals on very nicely done sporterized military rifles in recent years. There just doesn't seem to be much demand for them anymore.

I'd say offer $300 and dicker up to $350 and if they won't sell at that they'll have it a LONG time. I've sold a number of sporterized military rifles over the years and they are simply a hard sell. Everybody that wants the rifle wants it in original configuration, and the people that would use it buy a modern rifle that weighs two or three pounds less and comes with a warranty.

$250, as its value is gone. It's a sloppy, military grade rifle with unknown quality work. Cheap scope takes money off. For that price, you can get a Savage or Mossberg that is closer tolerance, higher overall quality, far better trigger, more accurate ands has a warranty.

Pass.

Ordinarily, I would say, "too much money" but who's to say these days, when our money has lost so much value. I think the real measure is, what can you get for that kind of money that is better? Which question has already been answered above; there are more modern bolt rifles that you may buy for about the same. Sometimes a premium scope can add more value, but not in this case. Tasco is usually serviceable but is economy goods. The Weaver mounts don't add a lot of value.

Many decades ago when lots of ex-military rifles were being sporterized, the options were fewer and mostly more expensive. Relative to the low cost of a mil-surp rifle and low gunsmith labor cost. So the typical sporterized rifle like this was largely an effort to save money. Especially when the original GI barrel was retained. Which isn't to say there weren't a great many of them made that were turned into nice hunting tools. The market for them today is very slow. If this rifle has been in-stock for "at least six months" it may be supposed that the price is pretty elastic. Or should be. There are some firearms that haven't enjoyed the big run-up in price that we've seen in the past few years. This is one of them.

Is the rifle "worth" $500....sure.
A lot of work and time was put into that 03A3....
Bent bolt handle...polished bolt as well...nice stock work and a good looking bluing job too.

However....
What something is worth and what it will sell for , is very often two different things.

Sporterized military rifles were common in the past...and range vastly in quality of workmanship.
A Sedgley Sporterized 03 is a work of art.
Stoeger used to offer a sporterzing service in the 1940's - 1950's...those rifles are nice as well.
A lot of pre-WWII Mausers were re-worked in Germany in the 1920's ..again good rifles.

Bubba and his hacksaw from the 1960's and 70's when surplus rifles were cheap and common...is a whole other matter.
( This is one reason why sporterizing got a bad name )

Also something to consider is market demand...
Where I live , the demand for rifles of this type is low ...you see 'em for sale around the $300 - $600 mark...
The ones closer to $300 eventually sell....the others , nope.

Notice the bold and italics on eventually....lots of rifles out there to choose from...
Nowadays...unless there is something really special about a sporterized military rifle it will be a tough sell at almost any price.
Andy

I look at this differently, I don't buy guns as an investment so I don't really care if I get a great deal or not. I'll get the value out of the enjoyment of owning/shooting/ reloading for the gun. If I want it and can afford it and the price is good enough to me, I buy it. If I don't I'll wish I would have and the next one like it I see will cost me more anyway. As far as getting my money back at a later time, well that's my boys problem when they settle up my estate. As far as the 03-A3 I've had a couple and they were great shooters just wrong handed for me.

Can't really see the quality of the wood in the stock but today even an unfinished walnut stock will cost between 200 to 300 for a basic one. I enjoy my FUDD rifles - the ones that are blued with nice wood..

Ordinarily, I would say, "too much money" but who's to say these days, when our money has lost so much value. I think the real measure is, what can you get for that kind of money that is better? Which question has already been answered above; there are more modern bolt rifles that you may buy for about the same. Sometimes a premium scope can add more value, but not in this case. Tasco is usually serviceable but is economy goods. The Weaver mounts don't add a lot of value.

Many decades ago when lots of ex-military rifles were being sporterized, the options were fewer and mostly more expensive. Relative to the low cost of a mil-surp rifle and low gunsmith labor cost. So the typical sporterized rifle like this was largely an effort to save money. Especially when the original GI barrel was retained. Which isn't to say there weren't a great many of them made that were turned into nice hunting tools. The market for them today is very slow. If this rifle has been in-stock for "at least six months" it may be supposed that the price is pretty elastic. Or should be. There are some firearms that haven't enjoyed the big run-up in price that we've seen in the past few years. This is one of them.
Is the rifle "worth" $500....sure.
A lot of work and time was put into that 03A3....
Bent bolt handle...polished bolt as well...nice stock work and a good looking bluing job too.

However....
What something is worth and what it will sell for , is very often two different things.

Sporterized military rifles were common in the past...and range vastly in quality of workmanship.
A Sedgley Sporterized 03 is a work of art.
Stoeger used to offer a sporterzing service in the 1940's - 1950's...those rifles are nice as well.
A lot of pre-WWII Mausers were re-worked in Germany in the 1920's ..again good rifles.

Bubba and his hacksaw from the 1960's and 70's when surplus rifles were cheap and common...is a whole other matter.
( This is one reason why sporterizing got a bad name )

Also something to consider is market demand...
Where I live , the demand for rifles of this type is low ...you see 'em for sale around the $300 - $600 mark...
The ones closer to $300 eventually sell....the others , nope.

Notice the bold and italics on eventually....lots of rifles out there to choose from...
Nowadays...unless there is something really special about a sporterized military rifle it will be a tough sell at almost any price.
Andy
Thanks for that Andy and gmerkt. There are a couple things that indicate some TLC was put into it such as the hot blued barrel and action and polished bolt/turned down handle. But I do see your point. I know there are lots of modern options out there, and I have some of those (M70, pre-64 m70, tikka, savage). There was something that just interests me about these. Maybe I'll go the "offer low" route and see where they settle. I know their goal is to make about $100 per gun and have it turn around in about 30 days. I can't imagine they paid more than $250-$300 for it from whoever sold it. This is all good food for thought as well.

My favorite 3006 is a 1903A3 sporter. I have Sako, Browning, Parker Hale, Remington and FN 30-06's but my Springfield is the one I grab when I want to use a 30-06. It is accurate, slick action and it fits me. I suspect I will always have that springfield.

My favorite 3006 is a 1903A3 sporter. I have Sako, Browning, Parker Hale, Remington and FN 30-06's but my Springfield is the one I grab when I want to use a 30-06. It is accurate, slick action and it fits me. I suspect I will always have that springfield.
That's great to hear as well! I've also noticed that the used gun market and availability of new gun options are still insane. I think I'll try to negotiate a little bit and see what happens. The barrel and action are hotblued. I also need to reassess the safety. It was weird since in the full right position it was able to fire. But in the vertical position I believe it was "safe" with the bolt and trigger locked. Now I'm second guessing myself though.

I wept a tear seeing the model stamping on the chamber blocked by the scope ring base.

I'd have to go with the "Price is too high" camp. WAY too high for me. But then I've become kind of a snob. But I have come to appreciate whatever others get joy from is also. I'd rather have my military gun beat up and functional with it's history there to see and wonder of the stories within.

What they all said! LOL
For the Springer ( And Mauser 98's) Sporters, there was a time when they were highly sought after, so much that it seemed everyone was building them from surplus actions, and like Andy says, some were works of art, and some were crap, a known name maker will always hold value, more so as a Sporter done by them! I have a Beautiful Stoeger built 1903 I got for a song, has a beautiful stock and the barrel was cut rifled by Danny Peterson hisself as a rebarrel sometime in the early 90's making this rifle even more valuable as a Sporter, I also scored a Griffin & Howe Mauser 98 for $75.00! Point is, there are millions of them out there, and the prices vary widely, so I would pass @$500 or offer less! If I was after a Sporter and had $500 to spend on it, I would be looking for one of the NRA Match rifles, or similar, or one from a known maker, Though I wouldn't pass one of obvious quality even if I didn't know who did the work, I have seen some stunning rifles out there that were done by unknown makers, and even took a chance on one that turned out to be a stunner in both looks and shooting! It's a journey really, finding that perfect Springer Sporter to add to the collection, almost as fun as the Mauser 98 Sporters out there, some real stunners to be had for not a lot of money, and other then the weight, they should all shoot as good as a brand new rifle!

What they all said! LOL
For the Springer ( And Mauser 98's) Sporters, there was a time when they were highly sought after, so much that it seemed everyone was building them from surplus actions, and like Andy says, some were works of art, and some were crap, a known name maker will always hold value, more so as a Sporter done by them! I have a Beautiful Stoeger built 1903 I got for a song, has a beautiful stock and the barrel was cut rifled by Danny Peterson hisself as a rebarrel sometime in the early 90's making this rifle even more valuable as a Sporter, I also scored a Griffin & Howe Mauser 98 for $75.00! Point is, there are millions of them out there, and the prices vary widely, so I would pass @$500 or offer less! If I was after a Sporter and had $500 to spend on it, I would be looking for one of the NRA Match rifles, or similar, or one from a known maker, Though I wouldn't pass one of obvious quality even if I didn't know who did the work, I have seen some stunning rifles out there that were done by unknown makers, and even took a chance on one that turned out to be a stunner in both looks and shooting! It's a journey really, finding that perfect Springer Sporter to add to the collection, almost as fun as the Mauser 98 Sporters out there, some real stunners to be had for not a lot of money, and other then the weight, they should all shoot as good as a brand new rifle!
Thanks for that info. I'll offer lower and see what happens. It has the commercial beuhler two position safety which is nice but also eliminated the bolt lock feature. Do you have any tips on what else to look for to help ID a good conversation?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top