JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I recently purchased a higher end 1911 for the collection. Just had to have one. They feel so good in the hand and the cool/sexy factor is high with these things (maybe stupid, but looks matter to me when it comes to a pistol).

I'm a target shooter with pistols, and accuracy and repeatability are the goals. With my XDM's and Browning hunter I do very well. From 50 feet with the Browning I can consistently get 90 out of 100 into a three inch bulls eye. This 1911 is kicking my butt though. Everything is low left. I'm not flinching, I'm going super slow with the trigger pull, basically doing everything I know of to shoot well. The only thing I can think of is that the grip on a 1911 is much more narrow than what I am used to and I am thinking/hoping my grip is the issue.

I have watched a few videos and it seems that most suggest bringing the shooting hand thumb up over the safety to present a greater surface area for the off hand to make contact with the gun. Also they suggest once the off hand is on the gun to relieve pressure from the shooting hand, especially with the bottom two fingers.

Most of you have much more experience than I do with the 1911. Have you had the same problem? Do you think these things will help?

I am going to test it out at the range, but was just curious if others had the same problem and how they fixed it.

1911s have a straight pull trigger, try "pressing" vs. pulling the trigger. What kind of 1911 did you buy? A "higher end" 1911 should have a crisp clean trigger pull, but that depends on how you define higher end... I shot a brand new $900 1911 that had a gritty step in the trigger that took a while to smooth itself out.
also, try shooting it from a pistol rest it could just be the sights are off...

It is a Sig Tacops, and I have had a professional trigger job done on it. I could get an adjustable target sight for it, but I don't want to adjust for my bad habit, if that is the root cause.

If I am the problem, I'd rather fix me.

Good point on the trigger pull, by the way.

And the rest will be the next thing I try. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, i dont reccommend adjustable sights.

Its likely your just not used to the new gun, a 1911 has the best pistol trigger ever.. Try some press-out drills or some ball and dummy drills to see if your flinching. Try dry firing aimed on target, the sights shouldnt move.

Koda is headed in the right direction with this.
A person can hold any pistol with just two fingers and be accurate if the trigger is actuated correctly. To take this a step further, one can again be accurate with a proper two hand hold and slap the trigger, as long as the slap is straight and true. Have demonstrated both examples many times. Have even done them while standing on one foot while huffing and puffing...obviously poor example of basic shooting fundamentals.

The point? Of the 6 basic shooting fundamentals, 2 are paramount...sight alignment and trigger control, and even those can be thrown out at very close quarters.

Phillyfan, the two hand grip has been explained many ways...realistically, if the need arises to use your 1911, or any pistol for that matter, I seriously doubt you'll remember to relieve the pressure of the shooting hand, let alone the bottom two fingers.

I tell people the grip of both hands are both 100% strong...100% grip it strong with the shooting hand, and 100% grip it strong with the support hand, nothing less.
A lot of information out there doesn't relate to street use, but sounds good in theory.

Sight alignment over rides sight picture in some instances, so I would work on that and the all important trigger "press" as Koda points out.

To take the flinch factor out of the equation, use a bench rest hold to make sure the pistol is shooting straight. Even though the pistol is high end, have seen a few lemons I'm my time.

If you still experience some problems, PM me and let's get together...training is on me.

Yeah, i dont reccommend adjustable sights.

Its likely your just not used to the new gun, a 1911 has the best pistol trigger ever.. Try some press-out drills or some ball and dummy drills to see if your flinching. Try dry firing aimed on target, the sights shouldnt move.
Yep, I have been dry firing and the sights don't move at all. I dry fire so much in the garage that I convince myself that there is no way I would be off target at the range, but then I go shoot. From 50 feet I am low about 4 inches and left about 6. It is so frustrating!

Koda is headed in the right direction with this.
A person can hold any pistol with just two fingers and be accurate if the trigger is actuated correctly. To take this a step further, one can again be accurate with a proper two hand hold and slap the trigger, as long as the slap is straight and true. Have demonstrated both examples many times. Have even done them while standing on one foot while huffing and puffing...obviously poor example of basic shooting fundamentals.

The point? Of the 6 basic shooting fundamentals, 2 are paramount...sight alignment and trigger control, and even those can be thrown out at very close quarters.

Phillyfan, the two hand grip has been explained many ways...realistically, if the need arises to use your 1911, or any pistol for that matter, I seriously doubt you'll remember to relieve the pressure of the shooting hand, let alone the bottom two fingers.

I tell people the grip of both hands are both 100% strong...100% grip it strong with the shooting hand, and 100% grip it strong with the support hand, nothing less.
A lot of information out there doesn't relate to street use, but sounds good in theory.

Sight alignment over rides sight picture in some instances, so I would work on that and the all important trigger "press" as Koda points out.

To take the flinch factor out of the equation, use a bench rest hold to make sure the pistol is shooting straight. Even though the pistol is high end, have seen a few lemons I'm my time.

If you still experience some problems, PM me and let's get together...training is on me.
I really appreciate the info and the offer. You guys are what makes this site so great.

Just some ideas...

• First and foremost have someone else try the gun (someone who you know is an accurate shooter). It's entirely possible the sights are off slightly
  • If that isn't the problem, adjust your trigger finger position. Try a little more finger on the trigger and a little less (if possible) and see if that corrects things at all
  • Try loosening your grip slightly on your strong hand
Let us know how it goes!

Try a closer target and move out,

I also have issues shooting left if I'm not in the bullseye,

I think I need thicker grips but havnt been able to try that out yet.

Just some ideas...

• First and foremost have someone else try the gun (someone who you know is an accurate shooter). It's entirely possible the sights are off slightly
  • If that isn't the problem, adjust your trigger finger position. Try a little more finger on the trigger and a little less (if possible) and see if that corrects things at all
  • Try loosening your grip slightly on your strong hand
Let us know how it goes!
Great suggestions. My thinking is that even if the sights are off, there is no adjustment for elevation. That is what makes me think I am the problem. I am going to make an effort to loosen my grip on the strong hand and do a 2/3 trigger finger pull (meaning about 1/3 from the first knuckle).

Here's a short video from Rob Leatham. He makes my point above...Grip tight and actuate the trigger without moving the gun.

As I said above, one can shoot accurately while slapping the trigger, as long as it's done straight and true.

Last Edited:
Great suggestions. My thinking is that even if the sights are off, there is no adjustment for elevation. That is what makes me think I am the problem. I am going to make an effort to loosen my grip on the strong hand and do a 2/3 trigger finger pull (meaning about 1/3 from the first knuckle).

You definitely want to figure out if the sights are properly aligned as you may be trying to fix a problem that you really don't have. If it turns out the elevation is a problem you may need a shorter front sight post. You didn't mention the brand of your gun but if it's one of the semi-custom houses like Wilson, Baer, etc., they would likely take care of this for you for free. The gun actually should have never left the factory if this turns out to be the case.

Not much to add, except that I've seen this chart help folks.
I'd also say that the first and easiest thing you should do is lock it up and get a read on mechanical accuracy. It's pointless to focus on your finger if it's the gun.

81010927131789c62b49f25d2d92844b.jpg dedba958c98d864dd8ce25675492b951.jpeg

I've disagreed with the "Proper " finger placement, as its nothing more than relative to the shooter.

If the shooter has small hands, for them to get the so called "Proper" trigger finger placement, they may have to rotate their shooting hand to the point where it's in an awkward position.

It's a training issue, nothing more...no need to complicate things. Get a good strong hold, wherever the trigger finger lands, work on working the trigger without moving the gun...where's that "EASY" button?

Everything is relative. Everything and everyone has to start somewhere.

"Proper" finger placement is actually a little more than "nothing more than relative to the shooter".

"Complicate things"? You ok? Step back and read your posts, and my post. I made an educated attempt at un-complicating things.

We don't have to agree. But try not to pick at my posts and I'll probably not have anything to say about yours.

Edit: I guess I hope I didn't misinterpret the tone. It's been a rather eventful day so far and I know better than to comment here juiced up.

Last Edited:
Not much to add, except that I've seen this chart help folks.
I'd also say that the first and easiest thing you should do is lock it up and get a read on mechanical accuracy. It's pointless to focus on your finger if it's the gun.

View attachment 421033 View attachment 421034

I agree that trigger finger placement can have an effect, but any part of the finger can be used if the trigger can be pressed without moving the sights out of alignment.
When I shoot my 1911s, I use the first pad on my index finger, like shown in the chart as Common Correct. When I shoot my Shield I choke the thing up tight and work the trigger with the junction of the 2nd and 3rd pad of my finger and the gun chews out the center of the target. If I tried that with my 1911 I'd probably not be able to hit the darn target.

I'd suggest having another hooter give it a go, but it's not uncommon for a right handed shooter to pull shots low left.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews