JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The funny guys seem to come out in the morning around here. ;)

The OP has said he's well experienced at pulling a trigger. Taking that at face value. What is it, because it's a Sig it just has to be right on the bulls eye? :rolleyes: I think Sig Sauer is getting a little big for their britches. Maybe.

I am all for this! But I am not sure you meant that?
If you did mean that, I am not sure how that would help his shooting.:D

Well, I didn't really mean that, but I'd be interested to see if anyone volunteers!:D
Normally I would edit that, but I think I'll leave this one hanging... :eek:

I really can't help much here...I have been shooting my Dad's and now mine Series '70 Colt for many years...I tend to shoot it now like a longbow or shotgun..."ignoring" the sights and focusing on where I want to hit the target...

Do I get those tight little groups that the target shooters like this way?...Nope...but I do tend to hit where I want to , close enough for "combat' style shooting anyways...
'Course I also use the same load or near enough for all my shooting with it...230 grain hardball for practice and 230 JHP for "social work"...keeps me from too much guessing...:D

Luckily my pistol seems to shoot most 230 grain bullets the same...Which brings me to my questions...
Would a different load work better or worse?
Could your pistol "favor" a different brand of ammo?

Again not really much help here...not much of a pistol shooter...but when I do I shoot a pistol its my Colt Series '70....:D
Andy

My wife and I shot low and left with all of our handguns. Then we got professional help :D Now we don't shoot low and left anymore period. Our deal now is tightening up the groups, but this all seems a bit like golf for us. One day it's par and the next it is not so much.

I agree that trigger finger placement can have an effect, but any part of the finger can be used if the trigger can be pressed without moving the sights out of alignment.
Absolutely. When firing big revolvers I usually press with the second pad (or wherever my finger lands most comfortably).

I agree that it doesn't matter what part of the finger you use, as long as the pull/press/squeeze doesn't cause you to pivot the firearm. But, it's not hard to see why the first pad has the most potential for a straight pull. With an empty hand, squeeze a phantom trigger. The mechanics of the operation are obvious. Besides, when you're trying to figure out why you're having trouble, it just makes good sense to try what works for most other people.

But all that's moot, in my opinion, until the thing's been fired from a good solid rest.

.I tend to shoot it now like a longbow or shotgun..."ignoring" the sights and focusing on where I want to hit the target...

Do I get those tight little groups that the target shooters like this way?...Nope...but I do tend to hit where I want to , close enough for "combat' style shooting anyways...
Nothing wrong with that.

Some great suggestions here, no doubt. Being the OP professes to be an experienced shooter, with a steady hand and trigger finger discipline, I'll simply echo what others have said.

Try benching for POI v. POA.
Try different ammo, some 1911's can be choosy...
Have another shooter give it a go (with or without hooters) :D
If that Sig has thin grips, try switching to thicker grip panels, you mentioned it felt a bit thin in your hands... You might be surprised.

I'll offer the following chart as food for thought, as low left is trigger control and grip.

37C5CD8F-297F-4D60-AB1D-2BDCBCF57BEA.jpeg

Everything is relative. Everything and everyone has to start somewhere.

"Proper" finger placement is actually a little more than "nothing more than relative to the shooter".

"Complicate things"? You ok? Step back and read your posts, and my post. I made an educated attempt at un-complicating things.

We don't have to agree. But try not to pick at my posts and I'll probably not have anything to say about yours.

Edit: I guess I hope I didn't misinterpret the tone. It's been a rather eventful day so far and I know better than to comment here juiced up.

I never meant to pick your post, and sincerely apologize if it came across that way.

There's a part in every class we offer which I call "Anatomically Speaking" This about the body parts everyone has...head, arms, torso, legs etc., and in some cases...lack thereof. How each of those are and can be used simply bears on some factors...age, condition, injury, size, birth defect, even medication can sometimes affect how we are able to use our parts.

We work with shooters on how to overcome any hindrance in reference to the above.

Example, on a 1911 some have large enough hands where they can operate a standard sized slide stop without having to reposition the hand. Obviously some can't, this is where the factors of hand size, and injury may come into affect.

When I made my post about finger placement, my head was going back to the years of helping shooters overcome such things, not explicitly picking your post.

I don't pick at people directly, unless their content is inherently dangerous, or have trained with them, and find their teachings are binding up the students progress.

I never meant to pick your post, and sincerely apologize if it came across that way.

There's a part in every class we offer which I call "Anatomically Speaking" This about the body parts everyone has...head, arms, torso, legs etc., and in some cases...lack thereof. How each of those are and can be used simply bears on some factors...age, condition, injury, size, birth defect, even medication can sometimes affect how we are able to use our parts.

We work with shooters on how to overcome any hindrance in reference to the above.

Example, on a 1911 some have large enough hands where they can operate a standard sized slide stop without having to reposition the hand. Obviously some can't, this is where the factors of hand size, and injury may come into affect.

When I made my post about finger placement, my head was going back to the years of helping shooters overcome such things, not explicitly picking your post.

I don't pick at people directly, unless their content is inherently dangerous, or have trained with them, and find their teachings are binding up the students progress.
Yup. I may have acted like a Richard head.

No excuse, but what a day.

It is a Sig Tacops, and I have had a professional trigger job done on it.
Nice gun and my guess is the trigger job should produce a clean smooth trigger pull with a nice crisp break about 3.5 to 4lbs.

Yep, I have been dry firing and the sights don't move at all. I dry fire so much in the garage that I convince myself that there is no way I would be off target at the range, but then I go shoot. From 50 feet I am low about 4 inches and left about 6. It is so frustrating!
50 feet is about 17yds, honestly I think this is too far to start out with a new gun I usually go with 7 yds then move out to 10 for most breaking in and warming up.

Great suggestions. My thinking is that even if the sights are off, there is no adjustment for elevation.
I think the Sig Tacops come with Novak style sights. Most likely the sights are good on this pistol but dont totally rule out a too tall front sight until you know its not you. So heres the thing about some Novak style sights... most of them even from "high end" manufacturers are fake, clones... not authentic Novak sights and Sig Sauer is one of them.

What Ive found with some 3 dot style sights is the 3 dots don't always line up horizontally when the top of the front sight is perfectly flush with the top of the rear sight. So the question is, which of those two sight pictures is correct? Also, what sight picture in general did Sig set the sights up for? Ive found on my 1911s with Novak style sights have a "center of mass" hold...

I would shoot from a rest or sandbag at 10yds and see what the pistol is set up to do, then work on aligning your technique to that sight picture.

Sights 101

sight-picture-2.jpg

Well, I went out today to test some of the suggestions you guys have mentioned.

Used different ammo, tried the new grip, no luck.

Shot with wrists rested on sandbags and got a good group but still low left. I was so frustrated I didn't bother shooting the whole box of ammo, and switched back to my target pistol to get some confidence back.

Think I an going to get an actual pistol rest and test it one more time. If it is off then, it's on it's way back to Sig.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top